5.0 out of 5 stars LET ME CLEAR THE AIR PLEASE...
I get frustrated when I read reviews from people who have not done their homework.
1. What is EXTRA LIGHT TASTING olive oil? and How is it different from Extra Virgin Olive Oil?
Published 15 months ago by Carpe Diem

2.0 out of 5 stars Bertolli Extra light Olive oil
Published on February 12, 2010 by Afd

5.0 out of 5 stars LET ME CLEAR THE AIR PLEASE..., May 17, 2013
This review is from: Bertolli Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil, 51-Ounce Bottle (Grocery)
Before I begin let me start by saying I have contacted Bertolli to determine what is in this particular product. The ONLY (let me repeat) ONLY ingrediant in this olive oil is.... olives! Federal law states that if the label does not represent exactly what is in the bottle then an ingrediant list is required! Since only olives are present in this oil then no ingrediant list is required. So what is Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil from bertolli? Its olive oil.
How is it different from Extra Virgin Olive Oil? Now that is a great question. There are different degrees of freshness and purity based on their label. The different degrees in descending order from most fresh to least fresh are as follows:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Virgin Olive Oil
Pure Olive Oil
Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil
Olive Oil
As you can see this product is 2nd from the bottom in freshness. So why is that? and why would one who knows this want to buy it?
How is Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil made? Extra Virgin Olive Oil is made by hand picking or machine picking olives at their peak ripeness then usually cold pressed and stored in a gas chamber and bottled on demand. That is the freshest way and keeps most of its flavors and nutrients.
How is that different from Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil? Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil is usually made from the olives that have already fallen of the tree and began to rot. They have a terrible flavor. These olives are cooked at a low temperature in order to mute their flavor. By the way these olives are also cold pressed exactly the same way as the Extra VIrgin Olive oil. These olives after cooking are then strained and put in a gas chamber and then to just add a little of that flavor back they take some of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil and add just a small amount back to it. Now understand that this process does indeed remove some of the nutritional value of olive oil. Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil can also be called Refined Olive Oil. Did you know most of the oils you use are probably already refined with a similiar if not harsher process i.e. Canola Oil, Vegetable Oil, (most) Peanut oil? Refining oil is not something we are unfamiliar with, but we seem to hold a different expectation for olive oil.
So why buy it?
Well for one did you know that refining oil increases its smoke temperature and decreases its freeze temperature? What does that mean for you? EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) has a smoke temperature of about 350°-375°. Which means when the oil hits that temperature it starts to break down and lose nutrients at that temperature. That makes EVOO very difficult to cook with ( I dont recommend it). ELTOO from Bertolli has a smoke temperature of 467° and because it has a very neutral taste it means that you can fry (again i dont recommend) or BAKE (I DO RECOMMEND) with it. It has been refined so some of its nutrients are already lost. Have you ever tried to bake a cake with EVOO? Its gross. But i guarentee you have with Vegetable Oil or Canola Oil. You can bake with this oil as well. Well why bake with this instead of Vegetable oil or Canola oil? Well vegetable oil is made with a wide mix of different vegetables and put thru more of a chemical process in order to maintain that neutral flavor. Same thing is done with Canola Oil.
Though this oil has lost some of its nutrients in refining it hasnt lost them all. And though i would not recommend this for a salad dressing I absolutely recommend this for cooking and baking applications (I recommend peanut oil for frying).
Now when it comes to buying ELTOO your only prerequisite should be - is it in fact just OLIVE OIL or something more. I would not get into how fresh it is or anything else because it is irrelevant. Apply those standards to EVOO.
As far as ELTOO is concerned I recommend Bertolli. Of the companies I emailed about their processes and ingrediants Bertolli were the most transparent and had a good turn around time. Also I learned that even in the ELTOO they maintained at 77% ratio of mono-unsaturated fats (thats the good fat you want to eat as opposed to saturated or trans-saturated fat) which is well within the average for GOOD olive oils.
If you want a good EVOO i recommend Columela Extra Virgin Olive Oil From Spain. They are also very transparent and take great care to keep their full of its nutrients and freshness.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extra light olive oil has its place, August 9, 2009
Steven A. Peterson (Hershey, PA (Born in Kewanee, IL)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Olive oil is a key part of my kitchen supplies. We cook with it, use it in salads, and use it in many recipes. Normally, I prefer extra virgin olive oil. Healthy for one; it has some taste to it.

However, there is also a role for extra light olive oil. For one thing, its lack of taste makes it palatable for people who may find extra virgin olive oil not to be to their taste. Second (and this is a bit exotic), this is one of the approaches to the so-called "Shangri-la" Diet. I tried that diet once, and lost about 10 pounds--and have kept most of that off since then (A long story, but the Atkins diet helped me shed 20 pounds, much of which came back--I tried Shangri-la to retain some of the gains from Atkins--and it worked!).

Anyhow, while I prefer Extra virgin olive oil (and I do like the Bertolli brand), this Extra light has a useful role to play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Enough for a Cake! ( a review of Bertolli's Extra Light Olive Oil), December 29, 2008
We try to use olive oil for as many purposes as possible because of the health benefits. The best olive oils are first pressed/cold pressed because there is less processing involved and the oil has higher levels of the good stuff, plus it is generally of a lighter nature with a less pungent taste.

The latter is particularly important when you are cooking for picky little kids. And it's one of the reasons we use Bertolli's extra-light. This extra-light oil is nearly tasteless. HOW TASTELESS? I use it all the time in cake recipes. It absolutely makes no difference to the taste.

Pam T

5.0 out of 5 stars Like it, December 10, 2011
I use extra light olive oil in the
deep fat fryer and for baking. It's
the only kind of oil I use and hopefully
healthier. This is a good buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bertolli Extra Light Olive Oil - Good Quality, Some Considerations, August 1, 2008
The Bertolli Extra Light Olive Oil, Super Value Size, 51-Ounce Bottle is a nice product. There are definitely some considerations though.

First of all, make sure you are getting the proper oil for your needs and recipes. I only got this light olive oil because it was called for by a recipe I had to make a lot of. Nine times out of ten I very much prefer the Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Super Value Size, 51-Ounce Bottle. This light one doesn't have nearly as much flavor, especially for salads or simple recipes where you are really tasting the oil.

Also, keep in mind that olive oil is generally more healthy than other oils.

The other thing to keep in mind is the price. This is one of those products where it really pays to subscribe. It's on the expensive side anyway, but subscribing makes it more bearable.

This is a staple that gets used quickly, so even though it's a nice sized bottle don't be afraid to subscribe!

Enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Bertolli Extra light Olive oil, February 12, 2010
Afd (Baltimroe, MD) - See all my reviews
I don t know what to think about this oil right now. The oil in the last 2 bottles I bought is cloudy. The first one was slightly cloudy but it didn't bother me The second one is more cloudy. The cloudiness is constant It is not a question of temperature. I have kept several bottles of oil in the same location for yrs and I have never seen this happened Smell and taste don t seem to be affected. What is the reason?

1.0 out of 5 stars Fake, May 11, 2013
Olive oil turns solid in the refrigerator (about 40-45 degrees). This oil did NOT pass the test! It is not real olive oil; it is some other cheap oil with flavoring and perfume added.

1.0 out of 5 stars Plastic bottle, September 29, 2010
This comes with a plastic bottle instead of glass as in other smaller volume options.

Bertolli Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil, 51-Ounce Bottle