5.0 out of 5 stars The best, the definitive, the only reference for me
I cannot say enough about Bescherelle: La Conjugaison pour tous. This wonderful little book is INVALUABLE. It is the ONLY reference you will ever need to learn how to conjugate all 12,000 verbs of the French language.
Published on December 20, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars SMALLISH BOOK WITH SHOW-THROUGH PRINT, SHIPPED BY AMAZON IN GROCERY-BAG PAPER.
This is not a must-have book. Advanced students may find it useful as a compact reference for a quick lookup, but they probably already have more substantial works, including dictionaries, that cover what is in this overpriced Bescherelle offering.

The attentive student will acquire gradually an intuitive feel for the most common regular and irregular...
Published on November 10, 2009 by AmazonBear

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, the definitive, the only reference for me, December 20, 2000
By A Customer
The first part of the book are the Tables of Conjugations, which show by examples all 85 unique forms of conjugated verbs in all the tenses and moods -- these include all the irregular verbs as well as those verbs which vary slightly from the regular forms. In the back of the book is an alphabetical listing of the 12,000 verbs, each with a reference to which of the 85 forms they follow when conjugated. Anywhere where the conjugation is irregular or the stem has changed (for example, the accent is changed), or there are differences in certain persons (e.g. the nous and vous persons), these warnings are printed in red to call the reader's attention to them. Bescherelle takes the extra step of listing as an individual form for certain verbs which may cause doubt. For example, take the verb "apprecier" (accent accute on the first e), which has its own page listing instead of under "aimer". This verb is in fact a regular -er verb and can be conjugated just like "aimer". However, because of the "i" in the stem before the "er", the student may be confused or even forget to keep the "i" when adding an ending such as "ions" in the imperfect tense. Therefore, in the conjugation "nous appreciions", the double ii's are printed in RED to call our attention to them. This is just one of the many things I love about this book.
Additionally, Bescherelle is beautifully typeset in color and is visually pleasing. It is amazing that they managed to pack so much information into each page, yet the condensed information is not tiring to the eyes. And as if this isn't enough, you would be surprised to discover just how small and compact the book is! It weighs less than a pound (I think) and is relatively thin, unlike other references that weigh a ton because of the conjugations of multiple verbs that are conjugated in the same way -- in my opinion this just adds to unnecessary extra pages. And why have only 500 verbs in a reference book, for example, when it is more than likely that one will come across many more verbs that are not listed in the reference?
The middle part of the book is a section on grammar and is the one part of the book that I haven't read yet because it is all in French, and although I'm at a level now where I can read French, I'm not quite ready to delve into the technical stuff yet. (For grammar, I have a separate comprehensive reference with explanations in English.) This does lead me to my last point: that you should get the all French version instead of the English one, even if you are a beginner, because you don't need to know any French to figure out how to use the Conjugation Tables and listing. I have used Bescherelle ever since I was a beginner and was able to conjugate verbs very early on even without knowing much about the explanations. This book will carry you through to the advance level and beyond, at which point you can decide to tackle the French grammatical explanations if you would like. With so many books already explained in English, it is a good opportunity to read some French technical text. This version is a real French book printed in France. But keep in mind that I'm recommending this book for the conjugation; and besides, Bescherelle (La Grammaire pour tous) as well as others have separate books on grammar that are probably more comprehensive. But of course, get the English version if you will be more comfortable.
So, to conclude, I recommend "La Conjugaison pour tous" highly to all students at all levels of study. Now...if only there is a similar version for Italian!

5.0 out of 5 stars La Conjugaison por tous, December 15, 1999
Indispensable. It's THE reference for verbs and verbal grammar. I much prefer it to "501 Verbs" because (1) it concisely provides each unique conjugation pattern once and only once (which makes it easier to learn the pattern), and (2) irregular forms are highlighted in red.
If you haven't finished at least one year of college French (maybe two) I'd suggest that you start with the English version. There's a tremendous amount of information in the grammer section that you really won't understand well until you speak pretty decent French. What I'd really like to suggest is that you buy both versions, Use the English book until you are comfortable with the one in French and then pass it on to some budding Francophile. Bonne chance!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is THE Conjugation book, October 3, 2008
redpandababy (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The Bescherelle is the must-have French verb conjugation book. It is used by French schoolkids so I was surprised when I saw that my French school in Paris used it for its (foreign) students. However, it is really the best verb conjugation book out there. It does not have the flip-to convenience of 501 French verbs, but once you get the hang of it (find your verb in the back, then flip to page with conjugation of "model" verb belonging to same family), it will become 2nd nature. At first I thought that this was a disadvantage; since you are looking at the conjugation of a model verb and not of the verb itself (unless it's the model verb whose conjugation you're looking for), you miss the visual component of memorization that you get with 501 FV, which has the full conjugation of each of its verbs. Since, I have found that this is an ADVANTAGE. Memorizing the conjugation of each French verb (the 501 approach) is daunting. Memorizing conjugation by "family," i.e., associating the conjugation of related verbs, is MUCH EASIER. And unlike 501FV, Bescherelle allows you to find the conjugation of every French verb out there! 501 gives you decent coverage, but once you reach an intermediate level of French, you will find more and more verbs that are NOT in 501FV. I bought a variety of French books for study while I was in France, but left most of these behind when I came back to the States, including 501FV... but not the Bescherelle! I take it with me wherever I move, and since it's hardcover, it won't die on me anytime soon neither.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious French students need this book!, April 30, 2002
"auntieboo" (Charleston, South Carolina United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book while in France last fall. I also own 501 French verbs, which I love, but this book is great because it helps you conjugate any and all verbs. Plus, it all fits into one neat little volume. It's helpful that the instructions are in French because you learn some good vocabulary as you go along. If you also own Bescherelle La Grammaire and L'orthographe, you have a great French reference selection in a fraction of the space taken up by other books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Having trouble with all those irregular French verbs?, September 1, 1998
This book is a must for serious students of French who want to easily understand the conjugations of regular and irregular French verbs. Bescherelle's is the best I've found. I strongly recommend the French version because it forces you to read French directions instead of a translation.

5.0 out of 5 stars On Meilleur Ami, August 10, 2002
Nomad Grrrl (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Bescherelle is by far your best friend while learning the intricacies of the French language. I've studied French at the best immersion program in the country, and they continue to recommend purchasing this book - in French, of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have French resource, September 8, 2008
A Kid's Review
This book is EXCELLENT! It was a life-saver when I lived in France and, later on, when my job required me to do a heavy amount of French translation. The book is extremely well organized and, once you get the hang of it, will help you not only to conjugate any French verb in existence, but also will help you understand, at a profound level, how the verbs work and which verbs are like other verbs (which helps you recall their conjugations later). My book got damaged in a flood and I'm buying a new one. Can't say the same about all the other French resources I lost! Word of warning: this book is a French book and is written in French!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finest book available on French Verb Conjugation, August 5, 2006
Tbear (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
I am a serious francophile and am preparing to live in France for a few months with my wife. I have been reading extensively in preparation for our trip. A reasonable understanding of french verbs will be critical if I am to communicate effectively with the people of France. I have used and become quite familiar with the following verb books: "501 French Verbs" and the "Blue book of 555 French Verbs". First of all let me say that both are fine books. I will say that the explanations about what the different tenses and moods actually mean are better in the "555" than "501". In terms of the physical size of the books I would say that they are BIG ("501") and BIGGER ("555"). "501" lists an additional 1500 or so verbs and "555" lists an additional 2500.

I have recently finished reading the french version of "Bescherelle - 12000 verbs". I needed to look up a few words in the grammar section in order to fully grasp the ideas. My understanding of the tenses and moods increased exponentially. The writing style was highly lucid and direct. Just the grammar section alone was worth the cost of the book for me and well worth the effort to translate it fully on my own. The conjugation tables, as alluded to in other fine reviews, simply blow the competition away. The brilliant (literally and figuratively) verb charts are a masterpiece of organization and memory enhancing devices. The verb charts alone are worth twice the cost of the book. Finally, there is the index of ALL 12000 VERBS IN THE ENTIRE FRENCH LANGUAGE. This is far more than in "501" or "555". Incredibly, "Bescherelle" packs this punch into a book a tiny fraction of the size of the competition. This book should be on the shelf of EVERY student of the french language be they a beginner or hard-core linguistic master.

5.0 out of 5 stars a grammatical answer, March 20, 2002
I was introduced to the Bescherelle series by someone at work, and on my last trip to Paris, bought it for my own grammatical sanity. It categorizes the verbs into three groups, and conjugates a great number of verbs to justify the categorization. Afterwards there's a section on each group, explaining how the verb used, and identifies the exception cases.
This is a great educational tool for all those studying in french.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent for finding conjugations, May 23, 2007
Conjugation in french it is not an easy matter. This book is excellent for helping you to find how conjugate a verbe, whatever is the time (present, passé composé, future, imparfait, etc) you are looking for. Moreover, its size is an advantage because is a book easy of carrying on.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Bescherelle: Bescherelle - La Conjugaison Pour Tous (French Edition)
Bescherelle: Bescherelle - La Conjugaison Pour Tous (French Edition) by Benedicte Delaunay (Hardcover - July 1, 2012)
$26.95 $21.27