5.0 out of 5 stars A few laughts
Published on January 3, 2008 by David A. Barrios

3.0 out of 5 stars ...AND ALL THAT JAZZ
A FAN OF MEL'S VOICE "THE VELVET FOG". HOWEVER; THE MUSIC IS TOO STRIDENT FOR ME.. THAT'S JAZZ SOME WOULD SAY.
IF YOU LOVE JAZZ GO FOR IT.
Published 1 month ago by Lynn L. Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars A few laughts, January 3, 2008
Well, hello folks. This is my first Amazon review. I own this album. It's not really a five star album but it isn't a 1 star album either. It's a budget entry to get people into "The Velvet Fog". I'm not a fan of early Torme. His voice is too sweet and he really learns to read and interpret a lyric later in life. That said, if you need a starting place, here is is. The only reason I rate this album 5 stars is to even out the score. I gotta admit; the other fella wrote a hell of a funny review. I almost sure it's in jest. But this album isn't worth 1 star. So here I am to correct that error.

For the real goods, listen to Mel Torme with George Shearing. Any of those albums is WELL worth listening to and are almost as impressive as Tony Bennett's great work with Bill Evans in the mid 1970's.

That's all folks. Good night.

3.0 out of 5 stars ...AND ALL THAT JAZZ, June 16, 2014
IF YOU LOVE JAZZ GO FOR IT.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, November 16, 2013
I am a big fan of Mel Torme; have been for years. The music selections on this CD are good; however, the audio quality is appalling. Not a fitting tribute to a super talent.

4.0 out of 5 stars mel torme, October 21, 2012
Going through a "listen to old classics" time of my life and this certainly fits the bill. Mel Torme had one of the smoothest listening voices ever and I'm thoroughly enjoying having this as part of my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic early jazz, January 30, 2010
I wish there were more of Torme's original works on the disc, but this is classical Mel Torme--smooth voice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Antimusic, December 24, 2007
The Velvet Frog indeed. This "Night Court"-lovin', chin-happy hotel clerk somehow slept or blackmailed his way to the top of the vaudeville nutbin. And there he sat, munching on piles of nougat lip paste. As if he had sat down one day as a young man after a long, arduous, internal journey to discover how best to send music to its grave and decided, that's it! I'll sing in this really grating, lilting manner! That'll do the trick. And braindead, shock therapy patients, so many nobody realized how many people had lobotomies in America at the time, but now they're back on the streets where they belong -- it was a real eyeopener indeed. So that was a good thing, at least. Go, idiots! Oh, I mean to say that these mall zombies came out of the woodwork to buy Mel Torme albums, but as they lived 24/7 in locked, padded cells, it was unknown at the time. At press time, the only people who willingly listen to this calamity are the retrochic and buzzards. Military scientists use this album at Guantanamo, you know.

Best Of/20th Century