Customer Discussions > Music From Another Dimension forum

Best Album of 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 18, 2012 6:28:15 AM PDT
In my humble opinion and having listened to 10 from the 15 songs of the album, this is the best album of 2012 of any artist. Aerosmith has reinvented themselves once again. The album is different from what they have been doing for the last 25 years. It´s a going back to the seventies but with a 2012 sound. Almost every song is a classic and "Another last Goodbye" is EPIC!! Tyler´s voice (remember he is 65) is UNBELIEVABLE. AMAZING COMEBACK!! FROM THE BOYS OF BOSTON

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 5:43:24 AM PDT
MRT says:
7 ballads on an album is not a good thing. They told us us this was Aerosmith Toys/Rocks-not even close.The album was streaming for a while, so many bad reviews, it was taken down. With Toys being my favorite Smith album ,I had high hopes once they said Douglas was back producing and they were going for that old feel. This is that Tyler solo album he was working on with the Boys as the backing band.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 2:20:33 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 5, 2012 3:37:17 PM PST]

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 5:45:41 PM PDT
Sorry, but when there's a new Rush album released the same year, your argument is automatically invalid.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 8:46:54 PM PDT
SteveMor says:
It's a pretty good CD, but it's uneven. Half of it is awesome, the best thing they have put out since Get A Grip. The other half, all the ballads in particular, including the Underwood duet are the weak links! Actually that duet is not a bad song had Steven just sung it himself. But singing a song with Carrie Underwood just sucks man! There are a couple songs on the weaker half that are decent too. Having heard all the album the great songs are just FANTASTIC! I am even surprised that they could even put out a new CD with some new worthy material at all!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 11:00:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 11:02:23 PM PDT
Scott says:
You have to keep in mind there are 15 songs on Music From Another Dimension.
So you have 7/8 Rockers and 6/7 ballads, classifying these songs is up for debate. But I'll give you the 7 ballads.

Back in the 1970's most of their albums had 8 or 9 songs on them, with at least two being "ballads". So that leaves 6 or 7 Rockers.

Music From Another Dimension has more rock songs than any 70's Aerosmith album. With this new album you get a few more ballads.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 8:48:55 AM PDT
Coltrane says:
I myself own all of Aerosmith's albums. They are my second favorite band behind Led Zeppelin. This band has never failed to impress me. They had some down times in their career but their resiliency, creativity, and talent never ceases. We should be grateful these guys are still putting out good music...yet in an age of instant gratification, the album is already being picked apart over internet streams. I miss the days when you had to buy an album and spend the time to get to know it as a whole. When a few listens patiently given to the whole product was acceptable before a final assessment would be delivered.

This band has more talent than 99.99% of what is out there today. Not being a fanboy. Just being honest.

In regards to an earlier post, I also am a huge Rush fan and no matter how hard I tried, I could not really love the new album. I don't like the production and it sounds like a big mess through much of it. Too chaotic, disjointed, and something just doesn't feel finished about it. Just my opinion. Want a great prog album? Dream Theater's latest release.

Back to Aerosmith. I'm looking forward to this gift album by a band that has stood true the test of time, again and again.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2012 12:05:02 PM PDT
coltrane i totally agree with you. we should celebrate aerosmith is still putting out very good music. some people say...too many ballads....others say...is not as good as rocks...but they don`t realize that it won´t be another rocks anymore and maybe it´s the way it should be...times change and music evolves. i personally think this album is a mix between the old school and songs for the mainstream. anyway it is a great album...much better than just push play.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 11:32:11 AM PDT
woodbag4ever says:
Best Album of 2012 ? Not even close. Can't compare to Kiss " Monster" or Van Halen " A Different Kind of Truth ". With the exeption of 3-4 songs very little here to get a rock fan's attention, considering all the hype, very dissapointing

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 6:22:11 PM PDT
best album of 2012 yes!....no doubt about it. aerosmith has the old hard rock, has the power ballads, has "the voice" (mr tyler) and has the guitars (joe perry and brad whitford) and the sweet emotion of coming back once again. that´s why it is the album of the year. it is not rocks, but it is a masterpiece.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 10:03:48 PM PST
gmahler says:
The new cd is very strong however... I must be the only person on the planet that thinks Just Push Play was actually better! Just to make sure I wasn't crazy (no pun intended) I played both cds back to back and there is no doubt in my mind that JPP is better by quite a bit. Less ballads (only 3) and stronger ones at that. I'll take Beyond Beautiful, JPP, Jaded, Under My Skin & Drop Dead Gorgeous over anything on the new cd.
Similarly, Fly Away From Here (the only true ballad on the whole cd) and Avant Garden are better than the ballads on MFAD.
Still, I've only played the new material 3 times all the way through so I'm hoping it grows on me. Still a very worthy release and one of the better releases of 2012.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 2:58:19 PM PST
In response to Coltrane, not sure how big of a fan you are, but the new album might take a while to take in because A)It's a concept album & B) It's RUSH! I know it took me a long time to appreciate Rush's entire catalog, I suggest keep listening to it because it is a masterpeice in this current world of musical decay IMO. I somewhat agree with you on the production side, but it wasn't so bad to inhibit me from experiencing the album as a whole. Now Vapor Trails, that's a whole 'nother conversation.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 3:05:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 3:06:44 PM PST
Coltrane says:
I won't give up on the Rush just yet. Thanks for the feedback. No words can describe the awesomeness of Rush. I was at that Cleveland concert on April 15th, 2011 (Time Machine 2011 Live In Cleveland). Amazing show!

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 1:48:01 PM PST
scottsrush says:
Lol!
Rush clockwork angels is the best album of the year!
no pussy ballads on it either.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 3:55:28 PM PST
KISSfan says:
I gotta go with Clockwork Angels too. Saw them live last week and they played nine songs off the new album and it was amazing. The new Aerosmith is 50/50 with me. Better than I thought it would be, not as good as I had hoped.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 7:07:04 PM PST
Alex King says:
I don't understand why everyone is so anti-ballad. Some of my favorite Aero-tunes include Angel and What It Takes. There are 15 tracks on the album so if they added a few more ballads for fans of those types of songs then just skip them. The rockers, ROCK! This is as good as its gonna get for Aerosmith music. Shocked by all of the bad reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 11:45:29 PM PST
SteveMor says:
Other than 4-5 GREAT jams, the new Aerosmith album royally sucks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 11:47:09 PM PST
SteveMor says:
RODRIGO ALBERGHINI Man you are WAY tooooooo easy to please. other than 4-5 great jams, that new Aersomith album SUCKS! It will be their lowest selling album ever too!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:37:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 2:38:39 PM PST
Coltrane says:
I hadn't listened to Clockwork Angels in a few weeks and broke it out per your (That Metal Guy) request. This time around it seemed different. I listened to it with a different mindset and I think I am getting it now. Even listened again the next day. It's grabbing me. I guess it took a while. They are a phenomenal band.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 6:49:51 AM PST
Heart Fanatic. Outstanding album shows the Wilson sisters going back to their roots. Solid album through and through.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:29:11 PM PST
Hey Coltrane, glad I could help haha. With so many new releases that have come out since CA, it's been a minute since I put it on as well. The Garden will forever be etched in my psche, words just don't do it justice. I hate that I missed the tour this year, the setlist was a dream come true for this fan of their 80's and early '90s albums. I have seen alot of footage of the shows and Ged sounds fantastic, like it actually floored me how much better his voice sounded. And on the Aerosmith album, I'm still convinced it's nothing special, to me sounds similar to the styles of thier last two albums, some good catchy songs but not really an 'album' if you know what I mean.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 1:46:56 PM PST
van halen - a diiferent kind of truth.
easily the best new album by a rock and roll band from the 70's.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 11:10:53 PM PST
I agree, the Van Halen surprised me and I think everyone with ADKOT, def one of 2012's best albums. But for me Clockwork Angels takes the cake. I'd put ADKOT at #2 for sure though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2012 8:27:11 AM PST
Coltrane says:
I finally "get" Clockwork Angels. A very complex album but the more I listen the more amazing it is. Very glad I was promted to give it more time. Shame on me for almost giving up. I should know better as I am a big progressive rock/metal fan and their music is generally more complex and requires a period of time to fully grasp. In fact, that is what I like about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 8:43:31 PM PST
Moonstone says:
I would have to say HECK YEAH!! Why didn't these guys get nomintaed for Best New Album or Best Rock Band at theGrammys?! These guys KICK BUTT - they totally deserve it!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Oct 18, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Music From Another Dimension
Music From Another Dimension by Aerosmith (Audio CD - 2012)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (332)