5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST BLOG I HAVE SUBSCRIBED TO
Published on September 15, 2011 by the_bookaholic

Published on February 9, 2012 by John Williamson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST BLOG I HAVE SUBSCRIBED TO, September 15, 2011
This review is from: The Best Free Books for Kindle, updated daily (Kindle Edition)
This is the perfect blog for anyone who wants to find free e-books for their kindles without spending hours looking for them. Before I found this blog, it took too much time looking for interesting titles, which meant I did not get to that very often. I had tried other blogs but found them rarely updated, or full of junky books that nobody ever wants to read. What a breath of fresh air finding this blog!

Now I look forward to the five updates a day, and always find something to save to my reading list. The blog is laid out very clearly, and is written in a concise but informative style. Now I spend no more than a few minutes every day keeping up with the latest free releases. Also, I have found a lot of interesting titles and new authors that I would have missed on my own. Thank you so much for creating this resource!

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY NICE, February 20, 2012
The blog is very nice because it is updated daily and you can find free stuff to read on there. Instead of wasting time, you can just go to the blog and find out what you can read. It helped me find some ebooks that I would have otherwise never found. It's layout is clean and neat and it makes things easy to find. I will recommend this to my friends and I recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars My frustration is over!!, April 19, 2012
I love downloading Kindle books, because I learn a ton from what other people have to say. But since I don't have a lot of money, I prefer the free books. It's awfully hard to wade through and find them though. So I'm glad I found this blog.

Unlike just buying a book that goes out of date, this blog gets updated several times a day, and makes it easy for any reader to find the books they're looking for. It's also not just a list: they include reviews of books that are informative and written in a fun style.

Another thing I like is that the blog covers a wide variety of books, so there's something for people who like all sorts of books. I've even learned more about different genres that I otherwise might not have found.

1.0 out of 5 stars [Revised] "Updated daily"... Perhaps this author needs a calendar..., February 9, 2012
I subscribe to a few blogs covering free books for the Kindle, so The Best Free Ebooks for Kindle, updated daily by Good Reads sounded interesting as yet another source. But to date it has proven to be a disappointment. Read the title again, where as of this date it says "The Best Free Ebooks for Kindle, updated daily," and my issue is the last two words there, as it hasn't lived up to its promise.

There are some good points, and the first one has to deal with formatting, and the author/editor does an excellent job of making each page readable and interesting. These are not just random product listings, but thoughtfully crafted words and paragraphs that let the reader know what to expect. But on the downside, my issue has to with the number of postings that we've been led to expect. Right there on the Product Description, it says:

"This blog gives Kindle readers the chance to discover the best free ebooks. We review at least five new books every day. You can download the book directly from each post."

Taking a look at my Kindle 2 as of this date, I see the following, and I'm listing the timestamp with abbreviated titles:

* February 8, 10:00 pm: Suzanne Woods Fisher's book Keeper...
* February 7, 10:00 pm: Best of TOC 2012 free for Kindle for a limited time
* February 6, 10:00 pm: Kaplan's book Intro to SAT...
* February 6, 12:00 am: Jim Kraus's book Laugh-a-Day Book of Bloopers...

And that's it: there are no more.

There is nothing wrong with my Kindle 2. It's reliable and I'm receiving blog updates and books a number of times here, so that's no reason. Further, I picked this up with the customary free 14 day trial period, and there was a brief flurry of activity in late December, but very little since then. Still, I liked the formatting, so I started my paid subscription on January 8, 2012, hoping that the author/editor was having some lapse or posting issues with Amazon. Sadly, that was not to be the case. And I keep coming back to that product description where it says: "We review at least five new books every day."

If this blog had just half the contents and links of Free Kindle Books and Tips, then I would be pleased, because differences in editorial content can be helpful. But the numbers above speak for themselves. There are other "free Kindle book" blogs out there, and if anyone has a favorite or alternative they've discovered, please feel free to leave a comment.

Right now I'll leave my subscription active in hopes that things will improve. As such I'm giving it a 3-star rating (based on readable layout), and think that is generous considering the promises made by the author. But this will be a "dynamic" review, where I'll keep things updated. I hope to keep my subscription active and can up my rating to four or five stars in time. If not, then I'll just cancel and move on.

Stay tuned...

2/9/2012

UPDATE 2/11/2012:

Have revised this review downward from a 3-star (It's OK) rating to 2-stars, using Amazon's scale. Note that the blog author has changed part of the product info from "We review at least five new books every day" to read "We review at many as three new books every day." See the comments here on this review for additional and more recent info.

UPDATE 2/16/2012:

The author of this blog never lived up to his original statement "The Best Free Ebooks for Kindle, updated daily," and even with his revision of "We review at many as three new books every day" the author has never lived up to that attempt... and he needs to check his words before posting even that claim. Maybe he thinks that his feeble attempt of posting two "reviews" of the same book, Kaplan's Intro to SAT on February 14th will placate some, but to this reader it's not worth the time to see double-postings like this. On February 15th, the author reviewed two books, but it's now a case of too little, too late. Am revising this blog to a 1-star rating, and if you take the time to read all of the above, you'll understand why.

- -

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Blog!, October 28, 2011
This blog is really great as it helps find free e-books, which saves time and effort for the reader. The blog is updated daily many times this is really good. The blog also has a really well written review of every book I find this very helpful. Finally the blog helps readers find great free-books, and helps readers vary their reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only Book Review Blog for Me, October 16, 2011
This is the only book review blog that I have ever stayed subscribed to. Not only does it help me find free e-books it helps me decide whether or not I would bother reading them (something that many blogs promise but never deliver). When I travel, which I do often for work, my kindle is a godsend. Unfortunately finding good books to read is an entirely different issue. I could never decide which e-books I should download. With the advent of The Best Free Kindle Ebooks I can always find something worth reading to stave off the torrential onslaught of boredom.

2.0 out of 5 stars This blog stinks, March 10, 2012
This blog stinks. It always is a day behind, updates once a day, and still has books on it from last week. I hate it.

3.0 out of 5 stars material good doesnt update, December 27, 2011
the free material is quality but the blog does not update every day or even just once a day instead of 6 times like it is supposed to. so if it would update i would give it a five instead of a three. thanks.

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not update, November 20, 2011
As another reviewer noted, not only does this blog not update 6 x daily, it usually takes 3 days to update. Today is the 20th, and despite trying multiple times with wi-fi on and syncing, the latest update is from November 18th. This lag has occurred on most days and I can't find a reliable way to make it update. I can download instantaneously e-books from Amazon and otherwise get to the internet whenever I want so it's not my connection. The handful of books I have been interested in from the blog seem to be fairly good--perhaps more religious ones than I might prefer--but not sure it will be worth the hassle to keep the subscription beyond a trial period. A fix is needed on the updates.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've found my map to great reading!, February 16, 2012
I've been very confused lately with all of this technology and switching over my library into a compact e-reader. I was mostly upset that all the books i had, I would have to pay for again. This blog helped me out immensely. I like the classics and not only does the blog help me find them... for free... it is also updated several times a day. Each time i check back in, there are some new books. If i'm not sure about a particular book there are very handy reviews that give me all then info i need along with some pep. I just love it. There is no way i would have found some of the gems that i've enjoyed if i never stumbled upon this. Thank you Thank you Thank you

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›