5.0 out of 5 stars Slow Cooking Heaven!
If you love your crock pot as much as I do, or want to learn how to use a crock pot, you want to grab this book. Starting with the basics, the author walks you through the art of slow cooking. There's a section that lists the basic staples for crock pot cooking, health tips as well as tips on picking the right slow cooker for you.

The thing I love most about...
Published on May 7, 2012 by Just Another Reviewer

1.0 out of 5 stars Healthy? Home made?
Published 16 months ago by no one

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow Cooking Heaven!, May 7, 2012
This review is from: The Best Slow Cooker Recipes & Meals Cookbook: Over 100 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes, Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes, Slow Cooker Chicken, Pot Roast ... Recipes, Slow Cooker Desserts and more! (Paperback)

The thing I love most about this book are the simple recipes. The ingredients are items I keep in my pantry for the most part so there's no hunting in the aisles for essence of muskrat or something bizarre like that. One thing I noticed in the cookbook that I hadn't thought of trying is baked desserts. You can bet I'll be trying a few of those recipes.

Recommended for beginning to moderate slow cooker chefs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Slow Cooker Book!, July 4, 2012
I received a free review copy of C Elias' book, The Best Slow Cooker Recipes & Meals Cookbook

I love this book! It was extremely well organized into intuitive, easy-to-navigate sections. The directions are easy to follow. Well written.

My favorite quality of this book was the wide array of recipes that were included. There's a recipe that will work for any point in time, no matter what's in my refrigerator and pantry! There were lots of vegetarian-friendly slow cooker recipes and even a bunch of dessert recipes. I never thought to make desserts in a slow cooker! Genius! I can't wait to try those!

I definitely recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good selection of slow cooker recipes, September 30, 2012
Author C. Elias has written a slow cooker cookbook that tells about how to select a slow cooker, tips for using the slow cooker and the advantages of using one to cook daily meals. In the author's cookbook The Best Slow Cooker Recipes & Meals cookbook you will find some of the following recipes:

Turkey with Cranberry & Apple
Country Captain Chicken Breasts
Greek Style Chicken
Local Chicken

There is an active table of contents making navigation easy.

Recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great, well-rounded, perfect for a wedding gift, May 23, 2012
The recipes include chicken, beef, fish, and even some desserts. The ingredients too are those that you're likely to be familiar with. Some of the recipes, too, are spins on comfortable tried-and-true recipes like chicken soup, arroz con pollo (chicken and rice), chili, pot roast, and beef stew. The other dishes cover a wide variety of flavors from barbecue to Greek, Mexican, Italian, and even Indian. Of course, being the health-wise cookbook author that she is, Elias includes a nicely sized section on vegetarian slow cooker recipes which had my mouth watering. The best part about the vegetarian section is that these look like actual meals instead of something better suited for a side dish. The time investment required for these recipes varies with some meant for quick preparation and others requiring a bit more preparation time. None of the recipes are complicated and can easily be followed by someone who has no idea how to use a slow cooker (and is learning how to do so from this book). At the very end, there are even some extra recipes like macaroni and cheese, banana bread, and applesauce. I didn't even know a person could make those kinds of things in a slow cooker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crockful of Ideas!!!, June 15, 2013
Mamabear Cherei (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
What a fantastic cookbook! I love that it was devoted solely to nothing but crockpot meals! From breakfast to late night snacks! Down here in San Antonio, TX it is just far too hot in the summer to use an oven. Wanting healthy foods.. we use our crockpot nearly every evening starting the beginning of May until sometime in October! As you can guess.. there are only so many "roasts" and stews one can eat without becoming bored with the same meal over and over. This little gem of a cookbook.. has so much variety! It introduced some recipes.. that I personally never would have thought of cooking in a crockpot before I read the recipe.. and realized.. DUH! Of course, it would work! We've even used our crockpot to make a crockpot version of fried chicken. And, YES.. yes, you can!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book But Needs Photos, February 8, 2013
There are some great recipes in this book but I think I have become spoiled. In this digital age, it is almost inexcusable to not include photographs. There is a great photo on the cover so why not some inside? This bitch aside the book has some terrific recipes that I plan to enjoy. The beginning even helps you plan on what type of slow cooker to get. Pick your cooker, recipe and get set to enjoy some delicious meals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Respecting Health and Time: Recipe for a Happy New Year, January 8, 2013
C Elias has added a new dimension to her expertise on helping us to assuage the problem of consuming food that instead of enhancing our well-being, expands our waistline. While many people see eating healthy foods and meals is costly and time consuming and just too much bother when fast foods are readily available in market freezers or in the driver-thru chains, the way Elias goes about informing us of better alternatives is so down to earth honest and straightforward that it is difficult not to collect all her fine books.

This book is not only a solid winner as far as how it is put together - it also happens to contain some of the most delicious variations on slow pot cooking you'll find. To begin, she discusses the advantages of the slow cooker (yes, that is the generic name for those appliances that most of us call Crock Pots!): some are obvious, such as the fact that they save energy of the sort that runs our house as well as the sort that fuels our bodies, that nutritious, healthy and varying meals can be easily assembled in that morning and provide full course meals hot and ready to serve at the end of the day's work. Elias offers tips for using the slow cooker, how to shop for one, the ingredients most suitable for creating meals, planning meals around what your slow cooker can produce, and then come the RECIPES!

There is a section on Slow Cooker Chicken (Sweet Chick Squash, Mediterranean Style Chicken etc), Slow Cooker beans (various soups, Chick and Baked Beans, Black Eyed Pea Stew, etc), Slow Cooker Beef (All Day Beef Stew, Spicy Pepper Fajitas, Carrot, Potato and Beef Pot Roast, Spiced Beef and Cabbage Casserole, etc), Slow Cooker Vegetables (Quick-Prep Seasoned Caponata, Slow-Cooked Artichoke Dish, Veggie Lover's Curry and Veggie Lover's Pasta, etc), Slow Cooker Miscellaneous (get ready for Slow Cooker Banana Bread, Slow Cooker Swiss Fondue, Granola and Apple Cinnamon Casserole, etc), Slow Cooker Fish (try the Orange-Lemon Seasoned Fish), and Slow Cooker Deserts (Classic Cranapple Crisp, Honey and Apple Cinnamon Granola Cobbler, etc).

Elias' recipes are excellent in the way they align ingredients with what is best or feasible for the Slow Cooker and her directions for preparation are excellent. Give this a try and keep it around the kitchen for wholesome, fast, and delicious meals. Grady Harp, January 13

1.0 out of 5 stars Healthy? Home made?, April 28, 2013
This cookbook is all about opening canned foods (beans and vegetables), using condensed soups, store bought sauces, packets of seasoning mixes (taco seasoning, Italian dressing mix packets, etc). Healthy to me is not using pre-packaged foods with chemicals and stabilizers in them. I also don't think home made means I opened the can or tore open the packaged mix myself. I thought healthy and home made would have real, fresh food that I would cut up and cook in a crock pot. Very misleading title in my opinion. It will be deleted from my Kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious meals made easy with a slow cooker - 4˝ stars, March 3, 2013
My wife and I use our crockpot as much as we use a skillet or the oven, so a new slow cooker cookbook is always welcome. In "The Best Slow Cooker Recipes & Meals Cookbook," author Cressida Elias has assembled more than a hundred slow cooker recipes that include entrées, casseroles, vegetables, soups and stews, sauces, and even desserts.

The book begins with some basic information about slow cookers, including the advantages of slow cooking, how to buy a slow cooker, and general tips for using a slow cooker. The book emphasizes healthy cooking and ways to maximize nutrition with slow cooking. Then it's on to the recipes, which feature a wide variety of meals for both meat-eaters and vegetarians. Many of the dishes were prepared entirely in the crockpot (other than the chopping or dicing of ingredients), while others required some pre-prep time on a stovetop or oven. The recipes and step-by-step instructions were clearly written and simple to follow.

I can think of only two things that would have made the book even better:
1. Some color photographs of completed dishes would have added visual interest.
2. I would like to have seen the serving size and number of servings, with basic nutritional information (calories, carbohydrates, fat, protein, fiber, etc.) for each recipe. As a weight-watcher and a diabetic, this information would be very helpful.

But those are fairly minor quibbles. "The Best Slow Cooker Recipes & Meals Cookbook" is a book that deserves to be in anyone's cookbook collection, and I can't wait to try some of the recipes.

The author provided me with a review copy of the book in digital format.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice selections, February 8, 2013
Good quantity of recipes to choose some and I will definitely be trying some. Love cooking in the slow cooker and this book shows me more than just main dishes and proteins. Will be trying Mac/Cheese and more.

Rate and Discover Movies