5 out of 5 stars

on March 28, 2009
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I'm sorry this book is out of print, because it is a book I would readily recommend to teachers of young children. I purchased a copy here, used, when the price was well below $10.
The story of Angela and Calvin resonated with my preschool class (and probably through Gr.2 or 3) as slightly older children who walk to school (without an adult!) and discover a discarded card table. Both have a very different plan for its use, and end up calling each other names ('stupid' Gasp!)before finding a compromise that incorporates both childrens's passions.
Some of my preschool class were most interested in the fact that they called each other names, and discussion focused on what they might have said to each other instead, to more accurately convey what they were feeling, rather than revert to name calling (Clearly, a familiar theme in most early childhood classrooms!)
For others, the idea of listening to the ideas that other children may bring to play was a message the teachers wanted to highlight. After reading the book and discussing it (nearly every page provoked some point of interest for discussion), we set it up with related props and refered to the message often as children came to the block area with different ideas of what to play.
The story touches on issues of gender, race, conflict, power, without preaching.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again