5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining AND Life Changing!
I've had super-strong anxiety all my life, on and off with depression. Everybody knows the best way to help yourself permanently is a combination of medicine and behaviour modification, so after years of only doing the former, I set out to find the best information to tackle the latter.

I looked at a million books online and in the library, bought a few, but by...
Published on March 23, 2010 by Carly

2.0 out of 5 stars Same as other books in one unfortunate way
Published 15 months ago by Picky

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining AND Life Changing!, March 23, 2010
This review is from: The 10 Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques: Understanding How Your Brain Makes You Anxious and What You Can Do to Change It (Paperback)

I looked at a million books online and in the library, bought a few, but by miles this is the best one of the lot. If you can only buy ONE book in your life to help you, make it this one.

It is a fascinating read from beginning to end. I came to it not really caring why or how my brain was making me anxious- I just knew I wanted to stop how I was feeling. In fact, the most interesting part of the book is explaing how and why your brain causes your anxiety. Far from being a dry medical monologue of terminology and bio-chemistry, the information and the way it was presented was more like watching a fascinating documentry on Discovery Health. The information is solid and presented in a passionate and entertaining way (without dumbing anything down either, I might add) which says something for the author's talent and style. I found myself smiling or chuckling sometimes when she'd explain a concept and why it works, and while I'm turning the page my brain is yelping, "Yeah, but so what! What if x, y or z is happening to you, then it's not going to work is it!?" only to read on the next page when she continues that she's ALREADY thought of my secret protestation, and goes on to shoot it down with logic and facts. Very funny!

This isn't a top 10 list like an extended Oprah magazine article, nor is it a finger wagging book telling you things like if you are feeling anxious to go write in your gratitude journal or take a bubble bath and give yourself affirmations in a mirror. These are very real, true ways that work with how a human brain naturally works itself: you are teaching yourself ways to override the chunk of your brain that is causing the anxiety response with another physical area of your brain that will control another action- your brain simply is not built to do both styles of things at once. You are forcing it by will to complete another task so it is unable to fire out those messages of anxiety. It really is an unbelievable read. After being this way my entire life from childhood to adulthood, I can say that after putting these techniques into practise that I am not that same person anymore, my life has improved dramatically and I am happier, more calm, less prone to depression and all-around a healthier person. Just buy the book. It is impossible that you won't find it helpful, yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Right Prescription for My Situation, November 23, 2010
I ordered this text as an immediate self-help resource. It was most helpful. Honestly, I was skeptical of the title, but I'm glad I gave it a chance. Six weeks before ordering it, I had experienced sleeplessness and blood-pressure spikes, and I almost dreaded going to bed at night. The book helped me immediately to relax with the early emphasis on breathing and mindfulness. For about two months, I was on a light dose of Ambien and Xanax. I no longer require either.The combination of the application of the suggestions given in the book and my blood pressure medication enabled me to return to a high degree of normalcy in terms of sleeping well. The book is an easy, fun read and is very practical and focused. It was well worth the money!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Conquer Stress with Proven Techniques, October 26, 2008
"When talking about anxiety and how to control it, it is important to understand that the nervous system is automatic and operates without your control, but you can take it over on purpose." ~ pg. 11

"The 10 Best-Ever Anxiety Management Techniques" is one of the most helpful books on anxiety I've ever read. Margaret Wehrenberg believes in using the brain to change the brain. She is well qualified to write this book as she once suffered from panic attacks and worry.

There are many practical ways to avoid panic and one of them was surprising. Avoiding coffee or other beverages with caffeine can help you avoid panic attacks. To read more about this subject look for Caffeine Blues: Wake Up to the Hidden Dangers of America's #1 Drug. It was also interesting to read about avoiding aspartame (stevia is better and natural) because it increases anxiety. I was surprised to also read that mitral valve prolapse (a heart condition one doctor told me I had) can trigger panic.

Margaret Wehrenberg gives good advice about how to deal with cell phones and e-mail. She suggests a few essential oils you can put in the tub to help you relax. Emptying the mind by making a list also seems to be calming. While these things work, the best part of the book is about breathing deeply.

If you are suffering from anxious thoughts there is a way to stop them even if you think that is impossible. By persisting and using the techniques in this book you can see good results. There is a section on the importance of positive self-talk and how to deal with perfectionism.

Since drugs have unwanted side effects you may want to try out some of the techniques in this book that deal with panic attacks, social fears and worrying. While Margaret Wehrenberg doesn't go into detail about exercise and stretching, I think Yoga works best to calm the mind and the effects are cumulative. I can highly recommend Crunch - Candlelight Yoga. By calming the body you also calm the brain.

~ The Rebecca Review

2.0 out of 5 stars Same as other books in one unfortunate way, August 26, 2013
Picky (Southern California) - See all my reviews
People like you and I who suffer from anxiety and panic attacks need a book that helps us deal with our problem with specific suggestions starting on page one. This, like many other books I've read on the topic, instead opens with a look at the brain. Page after page focusing on neurons and synapses. Then a look at the different categories of medications. And many references to the benefit of psychotherapy.

While this information may be pertinent, I'd expect to find it at the conclusion of a book purporting to offer "The 10 Best Anxiety Management Techniques." It could even be included as an addendum. But to put such information at the front of a book directed at people who may be suffering anxiety when they pick up the book doesn't indicate a lot of understanding of the people most in need of such a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panic Attack Help (and you can dump the meds), July 23, 2009
Susan Livingstone (Alpine Mtns of No. CA) - See all my reviews
Nobody likes taking medication. They especially don't like it when the side effects are unpleasant, and the best results you can expect are a quick and fleeting fix, at best.

So with medication quickly falling out of favor with people who suffer anxiety and panic attacks, this guide to the 10 best methods for dealing with the condition is like a breath of fresh air.

Not only does the author speak from experience, but the methods she suggests, from dietary changes (bye bye caffeine and aspartame) to changes in habit (taking control over emails) and ways to induce physical relaxation (aromatherapy and breathing exercises) are all common sense, easy-to-implement techniques that anyone can put into effect and quickly improve their condition - even if they suffer from the more severe symptoms of anxiety.

It takes persistence, but author Margaret Wehrenberg really makes you believe it's possible.

This comes highly recommended by me.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 Best Ever Anxiety Management Techniques, July 5, 2012
I am a licensed clinical social worker with a generalist practice in psychotherapy. Recently, I have had an influx of a variety of types of anxious people and concluded that I needed to educate myself with some more reality-based tools to teach them. This book has done that well in a straight forward, plain English kind of way. The techniques are clinically sound based on Cognitive Behavioral principals, and are understandable, practical, usable right away. And they are hopeful for the patient. Trying these techniques can help you manage your anxiety and avoidance behavior to develop a life richer in experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars useful for almost everyone, December 24, 2009
This book provides an overview of how the different parts of your brain interact to perpetuate anxiety, fear and worry. It then gives specific techniques for handling the physical symptoms, the troubling thoughts and the behaviours that make things worse. What I like the most is that she points out where people can go wrong using these techniques and how to avoid common pitfalls in trying to apply them. She also recognizes that some issues require more than a self help approach. No matter your theoretical background, you can find something useful in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, concise, helpful, October 20, 2011
I purchased the Kindle version of this book for my iPad, and while I think that the technology of Kindle on iPad is subpar, I was thankfully able to grasp the author's concepts. I should also mention that I've never written a review before, but now that I'm anxiety free for my second month after experiencing sometimes debilitating generalized anxiety, I had to share my adoration for this book.

The key to success lies in her contention that we must not allow our brains - even for a moment - to venture down the, "Oh, what's wrong with me? I feel strange. Why can't I shake this? Will I ever heal? Am I dying?" path. Her method for stopping the train of awful thoughts is to repeat "No. No I will not go there" repeatedly. It sounds simple, infantile, maybe crazy, but by nipping those thoughts in the bud the very instant they occur (or recur) you can truly divert the mind. (She explains the science of why this works in chapter 1.)

In moments when I feel anxiety creeping in again, I repeat NO NO NO about 15 times. I count them in mind. I continue to do that until I've distracted myself sufficiently. Even if it takes 100 NO's, I persist. I picked up this book during one of my longer bouts with anxiety; it truly began to feel endless until I implemented this method, and within 2 weeks I was anxiety free and asking myself what in the hell I was worrying about in the first place. It works, I promise!

5.0 out of 5 stars PRO-MEDICATION, February 5, 2010
DKDC (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
I got the impression reading the reviews that this book was against using medication. After reading the chapter on drugs, in fact, the book is very open to meds and specifies when they are recommended in addition to the techniques which are the heart of this book. That coincides with what I have read from NIH researchers, and a little of the other professional literature. Norman Rosenthal in his book on emotions says in particular that panic is better dealt with without meds, but he often gives meds out of compassion in addition to recommending therapy.

I am in no way an expert or well read on the subject, just sharing my 2 cents since I think others may get the wrong impression from the reviews here. Medication has an important place and I think it should not be devalued based on one's own personal experience. There are many people who have no respect for psychologists based on their experience, but that is not very rational or scientific either.

The best therapy is often both medication and psychological help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone could benefit from reading this book, September 5, 2010
Clarisse McClellan (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
If you're suffering from anxiety, buy this book. Read it. Then read it again. I wish I had found this book early on in my search for both how to understand and how to fix what was happening to me.

First of all, the techniques the author suggests are simple and straightforward. Second of all, they work. I had no idea how important my diet and exercise was to my mental well-being, and after implementing the techniques in this book, I started feeling better immediately.

As a side note, there are a few different types of anxiety. This book actually talks about all of them, so whether it's panic attacks that you're experiencing, or whether you have social or generalized anxiety, this book will likely help you.