4.0 out of 5 stars my daughter likes it
My 3 yo likes this book about being the best big sister ever- i have to adapt it when i read it as its all about being a big sister to a little sister and we have a newborn boy.
Published on August 5, 2007 by SusanPhD

3.0 out of 5 stars So-so book, there are better "big sister" books out there
Published on September 22, 2011 by Dusty

3.0 out of 5 stars So-so book, there are better "big sister" books out there, September 22, 2011
This review is from: Best-Ever Big Sister (Hardcover)
We have several books from this author and enjoy her illustrations and writing style. However, this book has a somewhat negative tone in how it portrays the big sister relative to the baby. Several of the big sister illustrations show the older girl with a "yuck" style face as she looks at the baby not being able to do something she can do (like eating with a spoon or using the potty). However, I don't think my 2 year old notices this potentially negative tone, and I improvise the wording as needed to fit her abilities and what I want to teach her about being a big sister and having a baby around. For example, I say she is "learning how to use the potty" since she isn't toilet trained yet, and for the illustration of the baby that "has to ride in a stroller" versus the big sister doesn't, I say that the baby can't walk so he rides in the stroller, whereas the big sister can walk and run and ride a trike as well (I certainly don't want to discourage her interest in riding in a stroller!).

On the positive side, this book represents both boy and girl babies and also has many multicultural faces so it should appeal to many types of families.

In all, I would recommend "I'm a Big Sister" by Joanna Cole and "I'm a Big Sister!" by Ronnie Randall instead of this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars my daughter likes it, August 5, 2007
This review is from: Best-Ever Big Sister (Hardcover)
Also some of the things my daughter cant do yet- for example one page says My sister poopies in her diaper but I poopy on the potty... well, my daughter doesnt do that yet. A couple of other things too I have to adapt- but she does ask for this book frequently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, lots of diverse characters, December 29, 2010
This review is from: Best-Ever Big Sister (Hardcover)
I'm a white woman in a lily white family. So when I go shopping for books my daughter will identify with, the number of options is endless.

My daughter's best friend is Black and I wanted to find a book she could identify with to help her cope with her new baby sister coming into her life. She was an only child for almost 4 years before baby sister came along and was having trouble adjusting. I was shocked at how few books there are for children of color that address just the simple basic storylines found so easily in the plethera of books available to my daughter with characters she can see and say, "they look just like me, Mommy!"

This book has a lot of different characters inside so a child of every race and ethnicity should have at least one "big sister" in the book to identify with.

The storyline is also really good. Katz's lift-the-flap concepts are very enjoyable for 2-4 year old children. My friend said her daughter (my daughter's BFF) loves the book and they read it every night. She said it really has helped her adjust to being a new big sister. I recommend this and any of Katz's books (I also have her potty training book and no more pacifier book and love them too).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for child over 3, February 2, 2010
This review is from: Best-Ever Big Sister (Hardcover)
Lift the flap book. Focuses on differences between a baby and a big girl (can get dressed, potty trained, sleep in big bed, etc). My daughter is nearly two and half and I thought this was not so relatable to her (she's not potty trained and needs help getting dressed) but she still loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Big Sister book I found for my 2.5 year old, May 19, 2011
Rebecca (Perth, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best-Ever Big Sister (Hardcover)
I bought a number of books for my 2year old in preparation for our new baby, but this one has been the best. It's not dippy, drippy sentimental, and doesn't use euphemisms that sail over a 2 year old's head. Just a few simple, concret examples of what big sister can do that baby cannot in the areas of potty, dressing, eating, etc. I waited until the baby was 4 months old and for the big sister to master some of the examples in the book before breaking it out. It's been on the must read list every night and the big sister frequently just carries it around the house while engaged in other play. She is very proud to be doing the things that big sisters can do. I think this is perfect for a 2-3 year age gap and could spread a little further. We've loved our other Katz books, as well. Our big sister has memorized each big sister task and we "read" it together which is even more fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book - my two year old loves it, and I think she's ready!, March 31, 2009
This review is from: Best-Ever Big Sister (Hardcover)
We're expecting twins in a few weeks, so I put several Big Sister and New Baby books in our reading rotation - she loves this one! We love all of Karen Katz books.

1.0 out of 5 stars negative tone, February 17, 2008
S. CARLISLE (Birmingham, AL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best-Ever Big Sister (Hardcover)
I gave this book away soon after purchasing it because I felt like it's tone was too negative. I understand it's purpose is to build up the older sibling, but for every good point it makes about the big sister it has a put-down for the baby. For example, big sister eats with a spoon and fork but the baby eats with her hands (with picture of big sister looking grossed-out). This is not the attitude about the new baby that we want to encourage in our daughter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, January 13, 2013
nana (GLEN ELLYN, IL, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best-Ever Big Sister (Hardcover)
Ordered for someone who just became a big sis. They are pages about big brothers too. That is not what I wanted. I was looking for a book to make her feel good about being a SISTER

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!!!, May 16, 2009
This review is from: Best-Ever Big Sister (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my niece. She absolutely LOVES it!!! She always wants her parents to read it and it's preparing her for when her baby sister comes in October. I recommend this book for anyone who is trying to prepare a child for siblings! EXCELLENT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for your 1-3 yr old, October 29, 2008
This review is from: Best-Ever Big Sister (Hardcover)
We bought this for our 2 yr old when our next child was due. These books are great and teach things so well. We were able to use this book to explain that babies cant do all the things a big girl can do...so thats why babies need a little more help. We also have the little book of manners and NO Hitting! They have been great! We have 5 of Karen Katz books. Although now our 4 yr old seems bored with them...but the 18 mo old loves them.

Best-Ever Big Sister
Best-Ever Big Sister by Karen Katz (Hardcover - June 1, 2006)
$5.99 $4.08