Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Candlebox Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on February 17, 2007
I'm new to portriat photography and bought this book to get me started. I was not disappointed. This book was easy to read, had lots of pictures, and covered a lot of different topics that I found very useful. The book covers everything from which lenses to use, to indoor/outdoor lighting, posing, color schemes, composition, and guidelines to follow for taking pictures of small groups...all the way up to very large groups. Highly recommended...I highlighted and underlined many points and sections in this book.
on January 9, 2007
i did learn some very valuable tricks, and many of the examples are great, some, not so much. Not really set up as a practical guide. There is an abundance of information and it was interesting and informative...but I would have prefered more diagrams for posing composition and maybe a priority list to develope a routine for great results beginning to end.
on January 9, 2007
Our daughter-in-law, a talented family photographer, says this book has everything she had hoped to learn in a recent class (but didn't) plus more. She says it's great!
on August 22, 2007
As a retired professional photographer I expected the finer points of family portraiture to be missing. Instead, it was excellent both in the fundamentals and in the detailed aspects of photographing groups. As a retiree I am using it for in-depth review, and I love it. My wife and I studied with Monte Zucker many years ago and we were happy to see his work included, along with Bill McIntosh and other fine professionals.
on December 3, 2015
I was hoping for some really good ideas for posing families, especially my own family and my grandchildren. I don't think I found one good idea here. There were not a lot of suggestions or ideas and what they did have, I have seem a million times before. I was very disappointed. I took it out before my family was coming and it didn't help me at all. If I hadn't passed the deadline, I would have sent it back. It just was not what I was looking for because it was not helpful in finding new ideas and ways to pose families.
on July 21, 2007
This book is very readable. It is short and to-the-point. This is the type of book to pick up, read and then go do the things described. I read quickly and started my own photography experimenting. I also enjoyed being able to go back and quickly find answers to my questions while working. This is a very user-friendly book.
on April 16, 2007
This book is worth reading more than once. Covers a lot of information about family portrait techniques. I did learn a lot. It is not just showing a million combinations and poses, but really gives the photographer a lot to think about and techniques to grow.
on April 24, 2008
Even if you have shot family portraits before, this book not only gives you new ideas but it also details the techniques and lighting logistics from the portraits shown. It also reminds us of what we may have forgotten or have become lazy in doing. A definate thumbs up.
on October 11, 2010
Whether you're looking to start your own portrait photography business or just simply trying to improve the family portraits you take this book is a good starting point.

The book begins with the most basic of principles and concepts and about half way through becomes densely packed with posing techniques, color coordination, setting up large groups and much more. I had to read these chapters two to three times to fully absorb all the knowledge that's jam packed in there.

Even though the images used are great and demostrate some of the instructions or concepts, the book does lack images when it comes to describing how each individual should be posed with words, supporting images would have helped greatly in getting the image accross faster! I had to read that section a couple of times to best understand what the writer meant.

All in all, a good book to buy as a starting point.
on October 4, 2013
This book is a little dated in terms of family and group photo ideas. There is some good practical information for the beginning photographer or even mid-level learning to deal with outside lighting. If you are looking for more creative and photojournalist ideas in shooting, I'd advise you keep looking.