5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the BEST experts on moving to Mexico
Published on October 19, 2009 by smacobblestone

3.0 out of 5 stars The Best How-To Book on Moving to Mexico
It was generally a good book, but seemed to often be concentrated on a specific area too much. If that is where you want to be, then this is a great book. It did not exactly fit our initial thoughts, but I must say that there was some very valuable information included in the book. Read it anyway.
Published on March 26, 2012 by AnnetteZS

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the BEST experts on moving to Mexico, October 19, 2009
This review is from: The Best How-To Book on Moving to Mexico (Paperback)
I feel privileged to be the first to write in praise about the book "The Best How-To Book on Moving to Mexico". All three authors are well-known in Mexico for their expertise and knowledge in regards to most matters pertaining to ex-pats who choose Mexico to live full or part-time. Carol and Norma, share a love for the same town that I do, San Miguel De Allende, and have assisted me numerous times in my queries. I always feel as if the answers they give are straight forward, sincere, and accurate. ( That says a lot in a country where the laws change as often as the exchange rate). Rolly Brook is famous in Mexico for his excellent website and his experience as a gringo living in Mexico. The three of them make an unbeatable combination.

This much anticipated book is great fun to read. It is not just for those thinking about moving but is appropriate for those of us that have already moved.( or live there part-time) The 14 chapters are well laid out and filled with both factual information and personal experiences.The later is very valuable since moving and living in Mexico is never quite as "text-book" as you hope. Reading their trials and tribulations will help prepare and pave your way for a smoother move and living experience. There is an Appendix including a thorough list of Embassies and Consulates in the US and Canada as well as an index referencing the entire book.

This must read guidebook to moving to Mexico is a welcome relief to other similar books that I often find dry reading, narrow, and out-of-date.

"The Best How-to Book on Moving to Mexico" is a wonderful resource and a hard-to-put-down read. It will be a great asset helping others make a decision as to whether Mexico is the right home for them. And it will help readers like me who have already decided it is, better understand this country, that I love so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best How-To Book on Moving to Mexico, October 30, 2009
This review is from: The Best How-To Book on Moving to Mexico (Paperback)
If you are thinking of moving to Mexico either short term or long term this is THE BOOK to buy. These authors know their subject and explain the ins and outs of moving to Mexico and living in Mexico. Carol and Norma are long time residents of San Miguel de Allende and Rolly Brook is in Durango where he is the lone Gringo for miles. This book is well worth the price and will save you untold amounts of grief and frustration. Dealing with officialdom in Mexico takes some inside information to make life much more pleasant this book does that for you. This is the How To Book on Mexico, do yourself a favor and buy the book, read it take notes and follow their advice. BUT remember this is Mexico and things change from day to day or even hour to hour offical to offical.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone thinking about moving to Mexico!, January 6, 2010
This review is from: The Best How-To Book on Moving to Mexico (Paperback)
This book is a powerhouse of information on all things Mexican for those who have wondered about making a move to Mexico but have little practical knowledge about the reality of relocating south of the border. The authors offer an inside introductory view of an overwhelming topic in a concise and enjoyably easy to read style. Anyone curious about relocating to Mexico will find this book a certain treasure trove of facts, links, and anecdotes.
-A 'would be' expatriate's bible!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly the BEST book on moving to Mexico, March 22, 2010
Craig Cerney (San Miguel de Allende, MX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best How-To Book on Moving to Mexico (Paperback)
Every "five star" reviewer here has said something accurate about this book. It is clear that a lot of time and research went into this, and that it is based on many years of real life experience moving to and living in Mexico. I just recently moved to San Miguel de Allende using the information in this book. It is the best $23 I ever spent. The sections on crossing the border, insuring your car, and registering your car in Mexico, were invaluable to me. There is an extensive section on obtaining a FM3 (extended stay visa) that will be VERY helpful to me in the near future. I would not be without this book. I looked at everything else out there. No other book comes close. There are even descriptions of all the states in Mexico and the advantages and disadvantages of living in each one. It is actually amazing that they got all this information into a book they are selling at this price. When I first looked at the price, I thought it was expensive. It is a bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is the best, October 26, 2009
This review is from: The Best How-To Book on Moving to Mexico (Paperback)
I've been waiting for this book. I'm planning a move to San Miguel in the next year, and hoped it would provide much needed information which was previously only available in scattered bits and pieces. It is all I hoped for and more, giving me information on the legal issues, the practical how to issues, and the cultural issues which confront any US or Canadian citizen who wishes to move to Mexico. A big plus is the lively, graceful, straight forward way in which it is written. It's a must read for those who may move to Mexico, and also for those who are already there, with much information on living in Mexico after moving. It is very entertaining, as well. The title says it all.

David Van Sickle

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone thinking about moving to Mexico, February 9, 2010
DiverGal "Sue" (Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best How-To Book on Moving to Mexico (Paperback)
I moved to Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico on Jan.1, 2009. I informed myself about the process by reading Rolly's website, [...]. I had to move back to the San Francisco Bay Area 9 months later, due to my dad's poor health. I am moving back to PV in March 2010 and thought I might find more information in the book. I ordered it online and have found a treasure-trove of facts, things I didn't even know after having lived there for 9 months!
This book gives you two perspectives from 3 people who have relocated both in a "gringo" city and also in a completely native populated town. The differences and way of living are explained in detail. The process for applying for a visa to live in Mexico, how to register your car (or not), bringing your household items (or not) and generally how to navigate the system is explained simply and understandably, along with explanations of how the Mexican culture is different than ours (USA/Canada). There is a map of Mexico outlining the Mexican states and what each one offers (weather, art, food, textiles, gringo groups, etc.).
This is NOT a tour guide. I would highly recommend this book if you are seriously thinking about moving to Mexico. (My best friend just bought it and is planning a move in about a year.) Keep a highlighter pen near while reading so you can later identify pertinent information.
Thanks Rolly, Carol and Norma for putting together such a thorough work for all of us "expats" moving south.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, the best on why and how to move to Mexico, November 18, 2009
This review is from: The Best How-To Book on Moving to Mexico (Paperback)
Are you wondering now to survive on Social Security? Or maybe the American Dream isn't working for you. Maybe you should consider Mexico. Carol, Norma and Rolly will help you decide, and if the answer is yes, they'll help you do it. They have the answers and they know what they are talking about. My favorite sections of the book: health care options and deciding where to live. I retired to Mexico almost a year ago. Their book sure would have made it easier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good informative book, November 18, 2010
John R. Crlisle (Corpus Christi, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best How-To Book on Moving to Mexico (Paperback)
I moved to Mexico over 8 months ago but a friend of mine recommended this book while I was inquiring about the process for an FM3 Visa. I have found the book very interesting and informative, some of the information has not applied to me to much since I live in a very remote small fishing village that seems to make it's own rules and regulations. I would highly recommend the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the better books on moving to Mexico, April 7, 2010
This review is from: The Best How-To Book on Moving to Mexico (Paperback)
I have read many books on moving abroad and this is one of the best. The book is written by authors that actually reside in Mexico and have for many years. The authors are from two different extremes, two live in the expat enclave of San Miguel and the other is probably the only gringo in the town of Lerdo. This gives the reader two very different points of view on life in Mexico. The book provides all of the basic information you will need if you are considering a move to Mexico. The authors relate many of their own failures and successes in their own move. If considering a move to Mexico I highly recommend the reading of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get much better than this!, October 28, 2011
Carl F. Franz "Wherever You Go... There You Are!" (Mexico or Bald Mountain Sasquatch Observatory) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best How-To Book on Moving to Mexico (Paperback)
Put them all together and Rolly Brook's website, blog and books on living in Mexico offer some of the most accurate, complete and up-to-date sources of information anyone could hope for. On top of that Rolly's style is easy to read, relaxed and next-door-neighbor friendly. Fans of The People's Guide to Mexico often ask me when I'm going to fulfill my promise of writing a book about living and retiring in Mexico. The answer is "probably never", mainly because Rolly and a few others have already done such a fine job themselves.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Best How-To Book on Moving to Mexico
The Best How-To Book on Moving to Mexico by Norma Hair (Paperback - September 1, 2009)
$25.95 $24.21