When I got this book, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Indian, Thai and Vietnamese food tends to be mostly gluten-free anyway, so it's a good source of gluten-free recipes; this uses a slow-cooker, so you don't have to actually, well, cook; also, if you're someone like me who tends to live on Thai and Indian t.v. dinners, this is a much cheaper alternative...
Published on January 29, 2012 by Poppyx

Published 22 months ago by Elizabeth

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Single Recipe in this Book is Gluten-Free, if You Use Gluten-Free Cornstarch, Red Lentils, and Soy Sauce, January 29, 2012
This review is from: 150 Best Indian, Thai, Vietnamese and More Slow Cooker Recipes (Paperback)

Most of the recipes are easy to follow, and the spices are easy to obtain. Where the ingredient requested is a little unusual--for example, jaggery, which is palm sugar--the author suggests readily available substitutes. (In fact the only ingredient I think I couldn't find at a regular grocery store is lemon grass; in my part of the United States, you can get that at a regular grocery store with an Asian foods section, though.)

Many of the recipes are lactose-free. Every single one of the recipes is gluten-free if you substitute gluten-free soy sauce, gluten-free lentils and gluten-free cornstarch for the regular versions. ("Yes, you can get glutened from lentils." Goya has them on their cross-contaminated list because they're made in a larger mill. Tru Roots is a gluten-free brand of lentils available on amazon.)

The only caveats I have about this cookbook are that you'll need some really good kitchen appliances:

1.) You'll need a programmable crock pot with a "warm" function. To make these dishes in the morning and then come home to dinner, your crock pot needs to be of the sort that has multiple programmable settings, so that your food will stop cooking at the prescribed time, and it won't be overdone; most of the cooking times are shorter than the standard workday--three to six hours.

2.) Many of the recipes call for a food processor.

Overall, though, this is wonderful. If you have food intolerances, you don't have time to cook, and you're looking to eat well, this is just amazing. A+

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally--Flavorful Crock Pot Recipes!, May 22, 2012
Everyone I know loves their crockpots. They love the idea of putting everything in a pot, leaving to cook, and coming back in the evening to a prepared meal! I love this idea!

BUT, I've tried so many crock pot cookbooks over the years. They always seem to produce the same results--palatable, but bland meals. So, you can imagine my hope when I saw this cookbook! When it arrived and I opened it up, I was pleased. The formatting was so easy to read and follow. There was a heat rating for each recipe. The pictures were appealing, though I noticed that they photographed ingredients as well as dishes. Curries strike me as not the most photogenic of dishes. Several of the recipes do require various curry pastes. I chose to fix several recipes which did not use them.

The first recipe I tried was The Bombay Chicken Curry. My mom, who came to live with us last October, has told me before that she doesn't like curries. But, I knew my husband loves them, so I hoped she would enjoy it. Before I go any farther, my whole family (husband, me, my mom, 3 kids...) all loved it! The curry powder I use is mild and it was a very mild curry, but my husband was able to spice it up with cayenne. If your whole family loves spicy food, just add more spice while you're putting the recipe together.

So, the my first recipe I tried was a great success!

My mother in law happens to be a vegan who loves curries, so I invited her over for lunch after church and tried two more recipes--a sweet potato curry and a cauliflower curry. These two curries were well liked by all of the adults in the room, though not as favored by my children. I think it was the looks of the curries that put them off a bit. The cauliflower curry looked unusual and children are quick to judge foods by how they look. I did make some small substitutions on these recipes. I wanted the sweet potato curry to be milder, so I substituted some Ancho Chile powder for the 2 hot chiles that the recipe calls for. I didn't make any alterations to the other recipe.

I would make both of them again. My husband felt very good about eating so many vegetables.

There is only one caveat I want to mention--I read another reader's review of this cookbook and it mentioned sticking to the cooking times for the recipes. I took this advice and I'm glad that I did. I did modify the cooking temp (high/low) and time based on what I know of my crockpots--I do not have a medium sized one. I have a large and a small. My small cooks fast and the large one cooks slower. I would recommend doing the same for your crockpot. Notice how they cook--fast or slow--is the food mushy for the time in the recipes? Then decrease the time or switch the temp to low from high.

It is rare to find flavorful crock pot recipes, but I believe this cookbook contains some! I feel like a schoolgirl who wants to stand up and yell, "Yippee! Yippee!" I am so thankful to add this cookbook to my collection. It has refueled my hope that I can find even more truly flavorful crock pot recipes. This cookbook by Sunil Vijayakar is a great find!

Please note that I received a complimentary copy of this cookbook from Robert Rose Publishing for review.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Curry Cookbook, July 27, 2012
This is one of my favorite cookbooks. Everything I've made has turned out incredible. My only complaint is the stated prep time. 22 ingredients with a prep time of 10 minutes, REALLY? Try 1 hour after chopping many fresh ingredients.

Another plus is that many of these dishes need only cook on high for a little over 2 hours.

If you like to make curries, this book is a must!

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of recipes but huge reliance on purchased, prepared pastes, April 6, 2013
Elizabeth (Montezuma, NM, United States) - See all my reviews
Just got this for my birthday and have just made the lamb rogan josh. Turned out fine, but I couldn't adhere completely to the recipe because it called for 1/4 cup "curry paste." My other Asian cookbooks include recipes to make your own pastes and spice blends. This one does not. It assumes you live near an Asian grocery. I do not. So I had to haul out a few other books and approximate a bit for this recipe. It would be a better book if it provided for do-it-yourselfers like me, who have spice staples on hand. It has some fun ideas and a great variety of curries. It is almost all curries, though,so if you're looking for other kinds of recipes, this is not the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, March 24, 2013
I am from India and love Indian food obviously. I work full time leave me little time to cook curries which take time. I tried the creamy beef curry which came out soooo good. Have found it difficult to cook beef in curries as it never comes out tender. Was a treat to come home from work and enjoy the yummy curry with tender beef all ready to eat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Asian slow cooker cook book, September 23, 2012
Some of the other slow cooker books have recipes that do not appear to have been tested. This one is different. Everything I have made from it has come out great.

2.0 out of 5 stars 5 strikes and you're out, October 6, 2013
Can't say that I really enjoyed any of the 5 recipes I tried from this book... flavors never really seemed to "come together" which is pretty hard not to happen with a crock pot! Hope whoever picks it up from the Little Free Library I'm sticking it in have better luck than I did. I've had better luck with recipes from The Indian Slow Cooker: 50 Healthy, Easy, Authentic Recipes by Anupy Singla.

4.0 out of 5 stars Has helped expand my slow cooker horizons, November 9, 2012
Emily B. Siddique (Poughkeepsie, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I love using my slow cooker, and I love to make Indian and Thai food, so this seemed like a match made in heaven to me. So far I have made about 10 different recipes from this cookbook and all have been very tasty. My one negative comment is not necessarily against this book - as the theme of it is to use the slow cooker, after all - but some recipes included here are best made the old traditional way, on a stove. In a couple of instances, i have found that it is not actually less work to use the slow cooker than it is to throw everything in a pot on the stove - and if I used the stove, it'd be done in an hour instead of 4-6. In these cases I still find the recipes helpful in that they provide me with the list of ingredients, so it is not a real loss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Curry lovers, October 23, 2013
So I was looking for something different for the slow cooker. Some of the recipes are a bit too involved with too many ingredients for throwing together for a weeknight dinner. If you like curry type dishes, i.e. spicy savory meat with gravy type sauce to be eaten over rice then this is the book for you. Made several dishes so far---some I just did in the pressure cooker with 2/3 the liquid---worked out great. Really tender meat dishes, my kids were thrilled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulosity!, August 5, 2013
I am in the USA and was not particularly familiar with different curry dish's but wanted to learn some recipes because Cucurmin in Turmeric is incredibly anti-inflammatory for the body and a true super spice. First slow cooking meats about 8 hours makes meat so soft it melts in your mouth so I knew I was good to go get this book there. I've made 6 of the different meat dish's now and each one is just amazing in flavor. The flavors are distinct, often sweetish, to having many flavors all combined. It all just works and I'm sure most adults that need more flavor will just love this cook book. The dish's are sooooo easy to make, and the ingredients easy to get as well. Every spice the recipes need can, if not at the market be bought at Swanson's Supplements on-line & curry in bulk!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

150 Best Indian, Thai, Vietnamese and More Slow Cooker Recipes
150 Best Indian, Thai, Vietnamese and More Slow Cooker Recipes by Sunil Vijayakar (Paperback - January 12, 2012)
$24.95 $19.13