5.0 out of 5 stars The working man's Elvis Presley

Published on August 3, 2006 by Sarah Bellum

2.0 out of 5 stars Too short and fairly low quality, August 3, 2006
Sarah Bellum (Dublin, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best of Johnny Cash (Audio CD)
This compilation does contain his most essential hits, but it has only eleven songs. Also, these have not been digitally remastered and the sound quality is inferior to other releases, so your money would be much better spent on one of the more recent anthologies or retrospectives. However, in addition to original recordings of the classic Cash songs, "Ballad of a Teenage Queen," "Guess Things Happen That Way," "The Ways of A Woman in Love" and "Get Rhythm" all make for good complementary tracks. No liner notes or any information apart from the track listing, no photos other than the one on the cover, just a shoddy release. I cannot recommend this CD unless you are able to pick it up for really cheap.

5.0 out of 5 stars The working man's Elvis Presley, June 11, 1998
This review is from: Best of Johnny Cash (Audio CD)
One of my all time favorite verses comes from Folsom Prison Blues - "when I was just a baby, my momma told me son, always be a good boy and never play with guns -- but I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die. When I hear that whistle blowin', I hang my head and cry." This equals or surpasses anything Walt Whitman ever wrote - and, it's set to wonderful music. Johnny Cash writes and sings from the heart of the working man and woman - and that's very hard to fake. These are some of his best works.

5.0 out of 5 stars J. Cash is the Man!!!, June 12, 1998
This review is from: Best of Johnny Cash (Audio CD)
Rock fans and country fans should own this classic. Johnny Cash is one of the biggest influences of rock and country of all time. If you are a serious cd collector this is a must. For ten bucks you get some of Cash's best work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Boy Named *&%#@$!, April 15, 2004
This review is from: Best of Johnny Cash (Audio CD)
I got the CD with high hopes and for the most part, I love it! However, on the song, "Boy Named Sue" censors bleep out a supposed cuss word, which instantly killed it for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cash with all of his greatest hits a gold record., June 16, 1998
This review is from: Best of Johnny Cash (Audio CD)
Cash at his best with such songs as "I Walk the Line", and "Ring of Fire". Cash's greatest hits is a best buy.This C.D. has all of your favorite Cash songs!

2.0 out of 5 stars what the BLEEEP, November 30, 2010
This review is from: Best of Johnny Cash (Audio CD)
This CD is great, all for one major "BLEEEP" during Walk the Line. The rest of the songs are great, and as far as I remember, that's the only censored portion on the disc. I will still listen to it, but do get a little fired up for a few seconds each time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good songs but not enough, September 22, 2009
Roy F. Johnson (Columbia, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best of Johnny Cash (Audio CD)
The music quality was generally good to my ear, although it is a little better on other sources.

The songs were all good. Including duets with Razzy Bailey and Hank Williams, Jr. was a nice touch.

The biggest disappointment is the shortness of the list. I would have included songs like "Man in Black", "There You Go", "Big River", and "Don't Take Your Guns to Town".

A two-page history is provided. Interestingly, Cash's "Man in Black" persona was mentioned but the song was not included in the CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost the best of Johnny Cash, November 13, 2006
This review is from: Best of Johnny Cash (Audio CD)
This is a must-have CD for Johnny Cash fans--there are a few of his best not on the album, though, but otherwise very good!

Best of Johnny Cash
Best of Johnny Cash by Johnny Cash (Audio CD - 1991)
Rate and Discover Movies