Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Master of Puppets forum

Best Metal Album Ever

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 16, 2007 10:25:30 AM PST
C. Wilson says:
Try to dispute it, but you know it's true. This is the best metal album of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2007 7:01:04 PM PDT
Paranoid by Black Sabbath

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2007 11:03:10 AM PDT
Justice son!! Puppets is damn near perfect, but I prefer the complexity of Justice. The bass guitar is near non-existent on Justice, but the guitarwork is impeccable. People are either Justice or Puppets. I am one of the Justice guys. Both are sick albums though. In my eyes, after Justice, I began to lose interest in their new direction.

Meshuggah owns.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2008 11:39:50 PM PST
anubus says:
Overkill-From the underground and below is just one of many metal albums that blows Puppets away.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2008 11:06:59 AM PDT
Master Of Puppets is a Great Abulm I agree with that and i do agree that it has a chance to be One of the best Metal abulms ever but you can't forget about abulms like Raning Blood By Slayer, anyways yeah Master of Puppets is great but dont forget about the others. . .

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2008 6:55:21 PM PDT
Guababy says:
All of the following are in the conversation for best metal album ever...
Piece Of Mind - Iron Maiden
Powerslave - Iron Maiden
British Steel - Judas Priest
Ride The Lightning - Metallica

Operation Mindcrime - Queensryche

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2008 9:02:14 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 20, 2009 2:07:11 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2008 5:53:41 PM PDT
Michael says:
There's plenty of great albums, but this one is good.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2008 1:34:22 PM PDT
My top 10

1. Iron Maiden- Powerslave
2. Iron Maiden- Number of the beast
3. Metallica- ...And Justice for all
4. Overkill- Feel The Fire
5. Metallica- Master of Puppets
6. Iron Maiden- Iron Maiden
7. Slayer- Reign in Blood
8. Slayer- Seasons in the abyss
9. Iron Maiden- Seventh son of a seventh son
10. Tied between Bruce Dickinson's "Accident of Birth" and Samson's "Shock Tactics"

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2008 11:48:31 PM PDT
dude, you must be tokin the good stuff. Reign in Blood by Slayer is in a class all by itself... and I love metallica!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2008 11:30:27 AM PDT
JMaj86 says:
Why are people either Justice or Puppets? I myself am going to have to go with Ride the Lightning.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2008 7:58:26 AM PST
Rock Lobster says:
With Ride the Lightning, Metallica created a template that they followed closely on Master of Puppets and ... And Justice For All. In my opinion, Puppets is the masterpiece. Every song is great. It's the closest a metal album has ever come to perfection. Ride the Lightning has three incredible songs ("For Whom the Bell Tolls," "Fade to Black," and "Creeping Death"), but the other songs are not as good as their counterparts on Master of Puppets.

Justice took the premise to the extreme. The songs were so long that by the time the band toured in support of the Black album, they were doing a medley consisting of abbreviated versions of several Justice tunes. "One" and "Harvester" were the only songs from Justice that they played in their entireties.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2009 6:11:29 PM PDT
S. Stinson says:
Best metal album? It has to be by Black Sabbath. There is no other right answer. BUT I would go with Master of Reality over Paranoid. Paranoid is the perennial favorite, but I got WAY more mileage out of Master of Reality.

Posted on May 26, 2009 12:39:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2009 12:45:42 PM PDT
Musicologo says:
1.metallica - and justice for all
2.iron maiden - powerslave
3.iron maiden - the number of the beast

Posted on May 31, 2009 4:20:41 PM PDT
Duckman says:
I'm getting really sick of people hailing "Master of Puppets" as the greatest metal album of all time. Most often the people making such claims have only scratched the surface of thrash metal and haven't really gotten beyond the "big four." Kreator's "Pleasure to Kill," Dark Angel's "Darkness Descends," Morbid Saint's "Spectrum of Death," and Sepultura's "Schizophrenia" are just four examples of 80's thrash albums that make "Master of Puppets" and every other Metallica album sound like Kenny G. in comparison.

Posted on Jun 8, 2009 10:52:21 PM PDT
Sam says:
Master of Puppets

Posted on Jun 16, 2009 5:33:26 PM PDT
H. castro says:
master of puppets the best metallica album ive heard em all master of puppets is heads abouve the rest of there albums a great masterpiece never to be repeated

Posted on Jul 13, 2009 8:04:52 PM PDT
Joe says:
Paranoid
Master of Reality
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Sabotage
Heaven and Hell
Iron Maiden
Killers
The Number of the Beast
Powerslave
Somewhere in Time
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Screaming for Vengeance
British Steel
Stained Class
Nightfall in Middle-Earth
Diary of a Madman
Holy Diver
Metropolis Pt.2: Scenes from a Memory
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Painkiller

Metallica doesn't even come close.

Posted on Dec 29, 2009 5:19:58 AM PST
R. Szetela says:
MoP is great, but how can you choose a best metal album when there are so many great ones? There are just too many to name. How can you pick a best out of these?

Iron Maiden - Killers
Iron Maiden - Live After Death
Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East
Testament - The Legacy
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Slayer - Hell Awaits
Sodom - Agent Orange
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Metallica - Kill Em All
Shadows Fall - Retribution
Stratovarius - Visions
Stratovarius - Elements pt II
Sepultura - Schizophrenia
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Overkill - Feel the Fire
Onslaught - The Force
Metal Church - Metal Church
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Megadeth - Peace Sells
Heathen - Victims of Deception
Exodus - Bonded by Blood
Flotsam and Jetsam - Doomsday for the Deceiver
Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Venom - Welcome to Hell
Venom - Black Metal
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Diamond Head - Am I Evil?
Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
Motorhead - Ace of Spades
Saxon - Strong Arm of the Law
Cacophony - Speed Metal Symphony
Sacred Oath - A Crystal Vision
Symphony X - The Odyssey
Dream Theater - Train of Thought
Dream Theater - Black Clouds and Silver Linings
Dokken - Under Lock and Key
Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Hammerfall - Glory to the Brave
Hammerfall - Threshold
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys (pts I & II)
Kotipelto - Waiting for the Dawn
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Evile - Enter the Grave
Savage Circus - Of Doom and Death
Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
Anthrax - Fistful of Metal
Anthrax - Among the Living

And I probably forgot a ton. I think that pretty much shows that there is no one great metal album, but many tied

Posted on Jan 1, 2010 6:14:51 PM PST
E. Yates says:
I agree that MoP rules. While I'm not a huge Slayer fan (some of their "evil satan image stuff" is kind of cheesy to me), Raining Blood is a monumental effort. Bands these days have better production and more technical players, but MoP is great songwriting and good production given its age. I know a couple guys in Lamb of God (here in Richmond, VA), and they are interesting, but I bust on them for writing material that is hard to play and lacks soul. Of course they've sold more records than me, so my opinion doesn't mean much. They are cool dudes regardless and are doing what they love and making $$$ for sure. IMO James Hetfield is one of the best songwriters of the metal generation and continues to release good stuff. Steve Harris of Maiden is a good songwriter too. As a bass player, Powerslave is one of my favs, but not the influential level of MoP. IMO, Mudvayne's LD50 should have more acclaim for Nu Metal, but again, MoP rules the school if I had to pick a best metal album. I kept the MoP cassette tape in my car tape deck for several months when I got my first car in '87. RIP Cliff Burton!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2010 11:49:10 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 5, 2010 11:50:22 PM PST]

Posted on Mar 15, 2010 5:09:32 PM PDT
Wow you guys are so mainstream lol....how about Slaughter of the Soul by At the Gates?

Posted on Jun 16, 2010 8:55:47 PM PDT
judas priest-unleashed in the east,black sabbath-heaven and hell, iron maiden-7th son of a 7th son, dio-holy diver, slayer-reign in blood, megadeth-rust in peace, pantera-cowboys from hell, metallica-master of puppets, savatage-hall of the mountain king, black sabbath-sabotage,overkill-years of decay,annihalator-alice in hell,sepultura-beneath the remains,exodus-bonded by blood .

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2010 7:41:27 PM PDT
gone says:
Anything by Black Sabbath.There is no more to say man!!!!

Posted on Jul 30, 2010 6:19:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2010 6:20:48 PM PDT
Who Cares? says:
Iron Maiden remains the best metal band in history. Number of the Beast is their best.

Other metal bands are mere pretenders.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Master of Puppets forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Feb 16, 2007
Latest post:  Jan 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Master of Puppets
Master of Puppets by Metallica (Audio CD - 1990)
4.6 out of 5 stars (1,622)