5.0 out of 5 stars This is truly the Best of the Muppet Show!
This video was released in a set of videos over a year ago. I purchased the set which includes twelve videos. This video is one of my son's favorites. It contains Elton John, Julie Andrews and Gene Kelly in 3 Full-Length Shows!
Published on August 2, 2002 by disney101a

2.0 out of 5 stars Good content, but disappointing
Published on April 11, 2003 by D

5.0 out of 5 stars This is truly the Best of the Muppet Show!, August 2, 2002
Elton John takes center stage with outrageous costumes and performs his greatest hits, including "Crocodile Rock" and "Don't Go Breaking My Heart," as a duet with with Miss Piggy.
Julie Andrews yodels, sings "When You Were A Tadpole (and I was a fish)" to Kermit, and whisles a happy tune in the company of monsters.
Gene Kelly gives Kermit a dance lesson, performs a romantic duet with Miss Piggy and tries his hardest to avoid doing "Singing In The Rain" because he's done it too many times.
I highly recomend this video if you have a child under 5 or any age for that matter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good content, but disappointing, April 11, 2003
This review is from: Best of the Muppet Show: Vol. 1 ( Elton John / Julie Andrews / Gene Kelly) (DVD)
This DVD includes 3 episodes of "The Muppet Show." I have always loved the Muppets, and it is good to see this great show get DVD treatment. While the content is fun and entertaining, it is minimal. There are very little special features. While the features provide a few small laughs, they don't really have much to do with the episodes themselves. And there are only three episodes. I call that [very costly]. I don't care for "Best of" sets in the first place (I prefer Season Sets), but they could at least included more material. They could easily fit 5 to 6 episodes on one disc, especially considering the absense of a lot of bonus features.
Overall, it's an enjoyable disc but it doesn't quite satisfy me. Buy it only if you can get it for a bargain price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Muppets, September 19, 2002
"dead_walrus" (Salt Lake City, UT USA) - See all my reviews
The muppets are great! If you agree, you'll like this DVD. Each of these three episodes had great gags, and all of the key muppets of the era are humorously involved (Though Fozzie gets less attention than the others). The only thing keeping me from giving this a full five stars were a few odd unfunny skits (I don't care for the Jug Band) and a laughtrack which I felt was sometimes distracting. On the plus side, three entire episodes are included, and each has a brief introduction by Brian Henson. Though not perfect, this muppet release has some great moments. My favorites were: Sam the Eagle's editorial, Gonzo playing "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" on the bagpipes, and the always popular Pigs in Space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elton is wonderful!, March 12, 2006
I would have given this Muppet Show DVD a higher rating but you need to know that the Elton John episode ranks higher than five stars. My three and five year-old children adore it! They want to keep playing this first show over and over again. They know the songs and love the costumes. In the Julie Andrews episode they loved when the monsters tried to scare Julie. With Gene Kelly, I explained Gene was one of the best dancers ever, so they went along with the Muppets trying to get him to dance.

This is their absolute favorite of The Muppet Show DVDs. Buy it and enjoy it whether you have young ones in your life or not!

5.0 out of 5 stars Elton John, March 1, 2004
By A Customer
the first muppet show episode i ever saw was the elton john episode, and it is well worth the price of the DVD. Though it is somewhat fused in my memory with the episode with melissa manchester, the musical acts of "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" with Ms Piggy, "Crocodile Rock" With assorted muppet crocodiles "Bennie and the Jets" with the cast and "Beyond the Yellow Brick Road" are incredible. the other acts i remember, and i apologize for any mistakes i make, include the musical number of "tumbling tumbleweeds", the flying zucchini brothers, and pigs in space
well worth the money, and worth your time, even if only for the elton john episode

5.0 out of 5 stars This one was really good, December 28, 2002
S. Young (Bountiful, Utah USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
As a true fan of the Muppets I was thrilled to get this tape! Every guest was great, and Julie Andrews still rules! The best episode out on tape the only thing I didn't care for was the last number, a little cheesy, but other than that wonderful! I also found I truly loved Elton John's music from this. This is one I plan to watch over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wocka Wocka !!!, April 20, 2007
Matthew G. Sherwin (last seen screaming at Amazon customer service) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
The Muppet Show ran for five seasons in the 1970s and it featured the incredible Muppets, those adorable and particularly well made puppets designed by Jim Henson and his crew. Every week the show would come on TV and I have fond memories of me, my mother and sister gathering around the TV to watch this show well before the days of VCRs and DVD recorders.

Every episode of The Muppet Show also featured a real life great entertainer; and this DVD gives us three very special episodes. We get the episodes in which Elton John, Julie Andrews and Gene Kelly guest starred. Each performer was only allowed to appear once on The Muppet Show; thus this DVD gives us a wonderful chance to go back in time and watch these classic episodes.

Elton John is the guest star of the first episode; look for him to wear an incredibly flamboyant outfit as he sings "Crocodile Rock" as he plays it on an off white grand piano. The Muppets also join in to add some humor and color to the scene--as if it needed more color after we see Elton all dressed up! We also get a segment called "Pigs In Space", or "Swine Trek;" this spoof on Star Trek features Miss Piggy and two other Muppet pigs goofing around on an intergalactic spaceship. The show ends with Elton and Miss Piggy doing "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" which was performed by Elton and Kiki Dee in real life. It's very well done and often very funny as well.

The second episode gives us some great segments with Julie Andrews. She sings "The Lonely Goatherd" from The Sound Of Music as well as "I Whistle A Happy Tune" from The King And I. Excellent! Look for full size "Muppets" to join Julie as they dance their way through "I Whistle A Happy Tune;" we don't often get full size Muppets but of course they are people dressed up as Muppets. Julie Andrews and Kermit the frog also perform a lovely duet which is sure to please you.

Last but not least we get the episode in which Gene Kelly guest stars. Although Gene swears up and down that he won't sing "Singin' In The Rain," of course the Muppets eventually win out and Gene sings it very nicely. The sketch called "Vet's Hospital" features a dog as a doctor with Nurse Piggy and Nurse Janice cracking one liners as fast as they could have possibly ever thrown them. Very good indeed!

Other reviewers comment that the DVD is woefully short on extras--and they couldn't be more correct. You get three very brief clips of about one minute each. One clip spoofs the then popular show Riverdance and another clip features Kermit The Frog dancing while a musician Muppet plays the saxophone.

The quality of the image couldn't be any better; everything you see is crystal clear and the sound is excellent, too. The choreography for the puppets shines and the cinematography uses clever tricks in order to accomplish special effects like us being able to see Kermit in full length from head to toe while he takes a dancing lesson from Gene Kelly.

I highly recommend this DVD for Muppet fans as well as for anyone who has small children who would appreciate this form of entertainment. The show may be old but the humor remains fresh and relevant thanks to great script writing. The Muppet Show provides us with great comedy routines one after another--and it is wonderful family entertainment, too! If you like this DVD I suggest you try the DVD set entitled The Muppet Show - Season One which gives you all 24 episodes (with different guest stars, not the guest stars on this DVD) from the 1976 season completely restored and remastered.

5.0 out of 5 stars My husband loves it, December 8, 2007
Nina Olive "Olive81" (Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
My husband is a muppets fan and he really enjoyed this DVD from begining to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the Muppets!, February 20, 2012
A Kid's Review
I love this DVD and I have the whole collection. I am a big Muppet fan. Elton John: Scooter is trying to get Kermit to let him put a piano in Elton John's dressing room because he wants Elton to sing a song. Meanwhile, Sam gets mad at Kermit for letting Elton be on the show. Kermit has Sam do an introduction to the closing number. The Swedish Chef chases a chicken all over the theater. UK Spot: "Any Old Iron" Note: On the season 2 box set, there is an extra scene with Fozzie and Rowlf playing "English Country Garden". This scene was the UK Spot Jaye P. Morgan episode.
Julie Andrews: Kermit finds a cow backstage and asks Scooter to find out who the cow belongs to. Gonzo falls in love with the cow and wants to go on a date with the cow. In the end, Julie asks Kermit if he's seen her cow. UK Spot: "Borneo"
Gene Kelly: Gene wants to watch the show, but Kermit tricks him into giving him a tap-dancing lesson in front of the audience. Kermit also wants Gene to perform "Singing In the Rain". Meanwhile, Beauregard thinks it's the end of the world. UK Spot: "Fit As A Fiddle"
Overall: I think that all the episodes are excellent and I'm happy the episodes have the UK Spots.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the Muppets!, February 19, 2012
A Kid's Review
I love this DVD and I have the whole collection.
I am a big Muppet fan.
Elton John: Scooter is trying to get Kermit to let him to put a piano in Elton John's because he wants Elton to sing a song. Meanwhile, gets mad at Kermit for letting Elton be on the show. Kermit has Sam do an introduction to the closing number. The Swedish Chef chases a chicken all over the theater. UK Spot: "Any Old Iron"
Julie Andrews: Kermit finds a cow backstage and asks Scooter to find out who the cow belongs to. Gonzo falls in love with the cow and wants to go on a date with the cow. At the end, Julie mentions that she lost her cow. UK Spot: "Borneo"
Gene Kelly: Gene wants to watch the show, but Kermit tricks him into doing a tap-dancing number. Kermit also wants Gene to perform "Singing In The Rain". Meanwhile, Beauregard thinks it's the end of the world. UK Spot: "Fit As A Fiddle"
Overall: I think that all the episodes are excellent and i'm happy the episodes have the UK Spots.