Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 6, 2005
It would be hard to call this a best of album -- unless one considers taking songs that fans have grown to love and rearranging them, editing them, and remixing them into what one might think is an improvement, when in reality its not, as a sign of a best of CD. But that is exactly what this "best of" album is at its core; proof positive that the old adage "If it ain't broke..." is true.
Why would anyone feel that the perfection that was attained on those great tracks needed anything done to them? I can understand remastering, but to totally remake or remix songs is a travesty. Some are edited butcher jobs (Yalla Chant and Amulet); some are remade and remixed (Mistaneek) and some of her actual "hits" (such as When I Close My Eyes and Mish Fadilak) are completely omitted. And why is she including three different versions of Layesh Nat-Arak, none of which are the original??
It's a head-scratcher to be sure. And a shame, as Atlas is such a great performer. Maybe one day a true "best of" will be released. Or maybe her fans should simply burn their own and buy the DVD companion instead. This one is for completists only.
on June 8, 2005
I think Natacha is the most successful world artist in the business. If you read the booklet, it says that she was elected to be in the U.N. as an ambassador for something about racism and has worked w/ numerous artists. She is beyond beautiful and has added class to the big, bad world of music. But I have to say that although Natacha Atlas did pick some wonderful music and even re-made some songs like Leysh Nat'Arak (3 different versions to be exact...) and Mistaneek, there were some songs I didn't get why they were on there like You Only Live Twice and Fun Does Not Exist. I do like all the songs that are on there. But this is my version of Natacha Atlas: Leysh Nat'Arak, Duden, Dub Yalil, Gafsa, Marifnaash, The Righteous Path, Aquba, Kifaya, Shubra, Le Preintamps, Eye of the Duck, When I Close My Eyes, Like the Last Drop, Mistaneek, Diaspora, and probably Ya Weledi. She is a talented woman and I cant wait for Beledi Roots in 2006.
on February 16, 2015
Natasha Atlas, a native of Belgium but of Middle Eastern descent and ancestral links to Egypt, Palestine and Morocco spent her early childhood in the North African community of Brussels, absorbing Arabic music and Hindi movies. After spending some time in England, she moved back to Belgium where she worked in night clubs and restaurants, singing mawaals and belly dancing and even performed with a salsa band for a time.

The Best of Natasha Atlas combines the dubby beat driven global dance approach of Transglobal Underground with the more traditional work of Arabic musicians. Natasha sings in French, English and Arabic. I really liked the rhythmic Arabic belly-dance songs. They are very soothing to the spirit.

Natasha is backed by bass, percussion, keyboards, dharabuka, oud, tablas, midi sax and strings. Some of the music is funky, some is modern while some is traditional. I especially liked Kidda and the sweet French tune, Le Printemps. While most of her music is pleasing and diverse, I would have preferred to hear an all Arabic presentation.

Nevertheless, Natasha Atlas is a very talented singer whose vocals are both pleasing and entertaining. I liked this album very much.
on February 14, 2016
There are only two words that would pay true homage to this CD "Exquisitely mesmerizing ". Natasha's voice would rank among the most beautiful voices on earth. Recorded in a top quality sound studio, the haunting middle eastern sound reaches it's pinnacle; EXQUISITELY MESMERIZING !!! S.T.
on August 3, 2005
I treasure this album. While some people may be bothered by the remixes I think they freshen up things a little. Granted that the originals are gold as always from her, I never get tired of listening to her voice. The special treat on this album is Leysh Nat'arak. It is my favorite of all her songs. While none of the three versions here are the original (which is sadly out of print on Dispora), I'm so glad it is well represented. I feel it was a good choice to include each version, even if other songs I would mark as worthy didn't make the cut. I suppose this album would serve more purpose as an introductory CD. It covers roughly ten years of her career and gives a taste of her many vocal styles ranging from traditional to club dance. It also contains songs in three of the four languages she sings in proving how versatile of an artist she is.
on June 1, 2005
I love Natacha Atlas. She is the only artist from the area that you can listen for hours without getting bored. Ten minutes of Nancy Ajram or Nawal al Zoghby and I am done. My only issue with this CD is its lack of variety! Natacha could easily have a 2 CD "Best of" set(the one I made is three), so why does she then put three different version of just one song on this disk?

There is a lot of great material out there by Natacha and I think she wasted a great opportunity to put out a CD, and wasted it by providing numerous recordings of one track.

Either way, it is a good CD, and I cannot wait for her newest project to come out.
on September 16, 2005
Hmm...quite funny to read that some guys here think they know Natacha better than she knows herself. Poor guys... just listen to the ladies and you'll learn someday. This album is the Best of what Natacha feels she has at the moment and I celebrate her choices (even if made with the production team). The new mixes by Transglobal Underground really rock! Just feel the modern basslines vibrating... would you rather be without them? And absolutely wonderful TJ Rehmi provides a great groovy dance mix of Leysh Nat'Arak. And a great dub version of the same song in the end taking us back to the feelings of the beginning. But some of you think it's a waste of space? Haven't you guys ever been to parties? Repetition of the hit elements works wonders and enhances the mood of the listeners when it's used in an intelligent way, like the people behind this album. The selection and sequencing of the songs shows their highly developed sense of aesthetics and a good sense of humour too! This groundbreaking Best of compilation is a story or a soundtrack of it's own right. Hey diss-a man, don't think-a so much... just feel-a! Natacha, you send shivers down to every sane man's spine, and that's the way I like it!
on December 6, 2007
Natacha Atlas has a beautiful voice and her music compliments every note. If you love to belly dance and if you love Arabic music and dance, trip hop you will love this cd. I exercise, belly dance and relax to this cd. Go buy it!
on December 1, 2011
This is an interesting collection - you get a good sense of her diverse background with the songs chosen. Do some reading on her and you will understand and enjoy the music even more.
on October 14, 2012
I first heard of Natacha Atlas on Putomaya's Arabic Groove CD, and wanted to hear more from her after finding some of the songs from this CD on Youtube. I was not disappointed.