Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Joe Bonamassa All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Retro Toys Deal

Best Rendition of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 26, 2006 9:28:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2006 8:51:36 PM PDT
Sabian says:
Though impressed with Katharine McPhee's live performance of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" on AI, I commented in an earlier post that Jane Monheit's rendition was the best, bar none. I also praised Eva Cassidy's rendition.

However, after listening to the studio recording of Katharine McPhee's "Somewhere Over The Rainbow", I am now going on record and stating that her rendition is the best to date. Yes, I know that Jane Monheit's version was the inspiration for Katharine McPhee's. The "a cappella" introductory verse makes this abundantly clear. Nevertheless Katharine McPhee's recently released studio version outshines Jane Moneheit's.

Of course, this is a matter of personal opinion. And for this reason, I suggest that you listen to Katharine's studio recording and decide for yourself. The studio recording is significantly better than her live performance on AI. Go ahead and check it out "AOL Music"; You can listen to it there in its entirety.

Also, I would like to comment on Katharine McPhee's second release "My Destiny". Initally I was not impressed with her live performance of this song at the AI finale. I just felt the song was lackluster and not very moving.

However, after listening to the newly released studio version, I am coming to see this song in a new light. Interestingly enough, the studio version "My Destiny" is reminiscent of Jaci Velasquez's "Imagine Me Without You". The songs actually convey a similar sentiment but more interestingly, Katharine's voice sounds similar to Jaci Velasquez's. I like Jaci Velasquez; Her voice is top-notch. That Katharine McPhee evokes such a comparison, in my humble opinion, bodes well for her singing career. She's in good company. Her star is rising.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  1
Initial post:  Jun 26, 2006
Latest post:  Jun 26, 2006

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
My Destiny / Somewhere Over the Rainbow
My Destiny / Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Katharine McPhee (Audio CD - 2006)
4.6 out of 5 stars (449)