5.0 out of 5 stars Best Design book out there, truly unique and beautiful!, May 13, 2008
RWR3 (New York City) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best Ugly: Restaurant Concepts and Architecture by Avroko (Hardcover)
This book is unlike anything else out there. It gives valuable insight for anyone interested in design, architecture, restaurant design or working in any of these industries, it's also great for anyone who is curious about great design and art or has heard about AvroKo. They have won numerous awards and being able to see their projects in-depth is a truly unique way to see how this top design firm works. The photos are amazing and beautifully shot and the design of the book itself is the best I've seen in any kind of art or design book like this. It also gave me a really great look at their design process and the outstanding projects they've designed. I've been to Public (which is one of the coolest restaurants in NYC) and this book makes me want to visit all the restaurants they've designed. I would highly recommend it as both a beautiful book to own and give as a gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best restaurant design book ever, September 10, 2008
i eat out most nights. this book opened my eyes to a new way to think about restauraunts. the historical and intellectual approach avroko develops in their projects informs each place i go. only problem- when i visit other places i now know what i'm missing. Avroko gave me a new language for understanding how and why i enjoy dining out. beautiful photographs and clever text. i have given 8 copies as gifts to friends too.
thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars best ugly, February 27, 2008
THIS BOOK IS BETTER THAN ANY DESIGN BOOK I HAVE EVER READ THE PICTURES ARE AMAZING I JUST WISH THIS COMPANY WAS IN THE UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Suberb restaurant design, January 23, 2010
It is rare that you find a design firm that has so many hits, one right after the other. AVROKO doesn't miss a beat. Every page showcases well designed spaces that literally make you salivate (over the interiors). They entice you to visit the restaurant, spend your money, eat, drink and chat with friends. This is the power of design.
Sadly one of the projects featured in this book has closed its doors. EU (The European Union) was right down the street from our store NICHE in the East Village. In fact we designed the lighting for EU ([..]). The food was impeccable. If I was a restauranteur, I would hire AVROKO to do the interiors in a heartbeat. Every project in this book is on my list of restaurants to try out in the upcoming year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Create design book, September 11, 2009
Pretty amazing restaurant design. I found the discussion with the Avro/ko principals extremely interesting; I enjoyed cross-checking their philosophies with the photos of their work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantistic content and presentation and publishing-great book., December 12, 2013
Little Joey "Blackdog" (Burlington, VT United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great book. Physically it's very beautiful with well-chosen photos and drawings. In terms of the content it really conveys the inner workings of AvroKO and how they approach projects and illustrates their research, thought process and amazingly detailed results. It's really a five-star product. I'd love to work with these guys!

The only minor thing that bugs me are all the gold pages with black text. It's very, very difficult to read if the light is not just right. A rare aberration from these guys where form trumps function. But don't let that stop you from devouring this book!

Best Ugly: Restaurant Concepts and Architecture by Avroko
Best Ugly: Restaurant Concepts and Architecture by Avroko by AvroKO (Hardcover - February 19, 2008)
$49.95 $36.24