Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Best Vegetarian Recipes: From Greens to Grains, from Soups to Salads: 200 Bold Flavored Recipes
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on September 14, 2001
Shulman has authored a number of cookbooks, and although she is a former vegetarian, she knows food and cooking and she is familiar with the goals and hopes of current day vegetarian cooks. Her latest volume represents a good overview of veg cuisine, apart from the absence of most meat substitutes likes seitan. The book contains a very good soup selection, with a variety of both simple and complex stocks upon which to build soups. There are numerous frittata recipes and good selections for winter and fall dishes, for those who want to eat seasonally. Yellow Squash and Rice Gratin and Potato and Chard Gratin stand out. Shulman presents a number of polentas. Of the vegetable dishes, Leeks in Wine is the most unique. She emphasizes freshness and flavor in each recipe. The book includes cooking tips for beginners and enough of her philosophy with food to make for interesting reading. For someone needing a basic cookbook, this would be a fine selection.
on October 20, 2004
I own a number of Martha Rose Shulman's cookbooks and when THE BEST VEGETARIAN RECIPES arrived, I thought, uh oh, it's a greatest hits album. It's much better than that. True, earlier versions of several of the recipes appear in her other books but all are invested with a freshness here, with the latest wisdom in method and equipment. Shulman has a Mediterranean sensibility that lends itself to all the cuisines she draws from. The dishes are earthy yet sophisticated. I've made several of the recipes and they always turn out as intended. They are satisfying even for the roast beef eaters who have turned up at my table. This is a book for weeknight dinners and to cook out of when guests are expected.
on December 4, 2001
Because I am a fan of Marth Rose Shulman's books, especially her classics Mediteranean Light, Feasts and Fetes, and Light Basics, I decided to try her new book. I have already cooked myself delicious meals and dazzled friends with her inventive recipes.
What is best in Shulman's books, besides the recipes of course, is her ability to describe what she is up to and to add interesting commentary. Her recipes are obviously carefully tested and, as a result, are almost foolproof. She is obviously someone who loves food and wants the rest of us to enjoy her healthy and delicious discoveries.
A real winner.
on September 28, 2005
I've owned a number of vegetarian books, and this is probably the most well written out of them. The organization is clean, the directions clear, and recipes delicious. I've made a few of her pies and salads, and all of them came out very well. Even though there are no photos in this book, in this case it's not a problem because she's pretty specific on what end product should look/taste like.

In terms of recipes, I find the egg/dairy, and the salad section, to be the strongest. The pies and frittatas are all delicious, and just the right amount of oil for modern taste. Ms. Schulman mentioned that she lived in France, and it is clear from her recipe selection that her cooking has been strongly influenced by French, followed by Italian, cuisine.

The only serious downside to this book is that there is a shortage of legume and bean main dishes. In fact, there's only really 2 or 3 of them, and one tofu dish, with different marinade suggestions. Also, if you are looking for Indian or Thai inspired vegetarian dishes, it's best to look elsewhere. However, I suspect the reason is that this is a "Best of" book, and Ms. Schulman's main strength does not lie in that area.

That being said, I still rate this a 5 because when I just have random vegetables lying in my fridge and I want to make a quick comforting dinner, nothing beats this book.
on March 9, 2008
I own several vegetarian cookbooks, and this is one of the few I actually use. The recipes are easy to follow, delicious and nutritious. I especially love the potato and chard gratin. The only complaint I have is there aren't any pictures--a minor complaint for such a fabulous book!
on April 30, 2013
Martha Shulman is a wonderful cook to follow. She writes for the N.Y. Times and this is a collection of her best. With her guidance you can create healthy meals to satisfy almost all the taste buds at your table.
on September 13, 2013
Disappointed by the actual book, after the rave reviews on amazon. I was looking forward to inventive vegetarian dishes, but it seemed like half the book was about sauces, broths, marinades and tossed salad. I've browsed through it multiple times and have not been enticed to make a dish from the recipes. I wish I had purchased one of the books recommended by Food and Wine instead.
on January 20, 2013
Lots of flavor to these recipes. Some are more work than I want to be bothered with but there are plenty of others to work with
on July 27, 2013
A lot is familiar stuff but it also has some interesting combinations I plan to try out. I hate recipes with weird vegies that you can't get but this book is pretty realistic.
on July 20, 2013
Martha Rose Shulman never disappoints. A wide variety of tasty, healthy, mostly quick (or at least relatively easy prep) recipes.