4.0 out of 5 stars Best of those Down Boys
Published on May 11, 2005 by Daniel J. Hamlow

3.0 out of 5 stars More muscular than most hair-metal bands.
"Uncle Tom's Cabin" separated this band from the pack: A beautifully picked acoustic intro with a distinct swamp-folk feel, launching into a melodic guitar line, Jani Lane's versatile singing, and then turning into a marauding riff rocker with an above-par horror-tale lyric.
Most of the Warrant catalogue isn't as strong as this song --...
Published on April 18, 2000 by D. Mok

4.0 out of 5 stars Best of those Down Boys, May 11, 2005
This review is from: Best of (Audio CD)
Back in my NMSU days, I heard of the Triple Threat Tour, consisting of three pop metal bands on the road together. They were Warrant, Firehouse, and Trixter. Between these three, Warrant was definitely the most successful, having charted six Top 40 hits in three years, only to faze out with the onset of alternative and when metal was taken to a new extreme. The Best of Warrant is just that, featuring all six of those hits, as well as others.

Vocalist Jani Lane and company were no exception to the rule of metal bands that the way to get more airplay and hence more sales was a power ballad. This they did with their #2 hit, "Heaven," replete with guitars, backing choruses, perfect for an audience with an ocean of lighters waving back and forth. The other big power ballad, which scraped the Top 20 was "Sometimes She Cries" which while a worthy song, may have drawn comparisons to fellow rockers Winger and "Hangin' On A Heartbreak" which had charted the previous year.

Of course, one can't forget their debut single, "Down Boys" the usual metal with background keyboards, though not as pronounced as say something produced by Ron Nevison. Nice rhythm, chorus sung in unison by the group, and good enough to reach #27 on the Hot 100.

The title track to their first album, Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich, is a hard-driving anthem of the materialistic 80's, of wanting more money and frills. Just what kind of society have we bred, when those D.R.F.S.R. want to light their cigars with $100 bills.

Even more of an anthem was the macho guilty pleasure arena rock of the #10 hit "Cherry Pie," the title track of their second album-remember the cover of the waitress with her apron, as well as /She's my cherry pie/cool drink of water, such a sweet surprise/tastes so good, make a grown man cry/sweet cherry pie./ I think of Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar On Me" mixed with Aerosmith's "Rag Doll." A smile on your face ten miles wide, huh?

The only other notable song is their #93 song, "Big Talk" about the oft-spoken saying of if you're gonna talk big, you'd better be able to back it up. And not all of Warrant's song were braggadocio pop metal. After a beginning acoustic blues melody, "Uncle Tom's Cabin" tells of a law enforcement coverup of murders, with the bodies hidden in a wishing well. The other example was the betrayed love of "I Saw Red." The version here is the acoustic B-side of the original #10 single. Of particular songwriting note is when Janie sings how he didn't have to see the expression of the other man's face, but that of his woman.

Material from Dog Eat Dog, "Hole In The Wall" and "Machine Gun" doesn't compare to the rest of the material, which features a consistent sound. Finally, their cover of Queen's "We Will Rock You" from Gladiator (the 1992 film with Cuba Gooding Jr.) is a nice try, as nothing compares to the original.

A good retrospective of the band's best moments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Rock Album, March 17, 2004
This review is from: Best of (Audio CD)
Despite what anyone thinks of the image of the band. These guys are a great band and very talented! There lyrics and music rocked my ears off and this is the ultimate Warrant album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best band of them all!, November 30, 2007
This review is from: Best of (Audio CD)
In high school I used to listen to rap music.In college I still love rap,until the day I heard Skidrow's I remember you and Nelson's Love and Affection.Since then I never listen to rap.I've focused my attention to Metallica (black album), all of Megadeth's albums, watched their concert videos over and over again, till I stumbled in this great band - WARRANT.
Since hearing Uncle Tom's cabin, cherry pie and my all time favorite - I saw Red, I bought all of their albums, and I've especially love the heavier songs like Hole in my Wall, Family Picnic, Andy Warhol, Hollywood, FACE, Sum of One and some of their greats like Down Boys, Blind Faith and Heaven. If you like party rock, heavier glam and enjoy listening to power ballads, this band is the greatest and a must have for album collection!
I'll name my soon to be baby, Janie, after Jani Lane, my all time favorite vocalist...

4.0 out of 5 stars These guys got a bad rap, August 12, 2001
This review is from: Best of (Audio CD)
I always hated "Glam-metal" back in the 80's, being more of a Motorhead/Metallica kind of guy;but there was always something about these guys that I liked. The songs from the 1rst lp are a catchy, guilty pleasure for me, they wore black leather instead of pink spandex and scarves, and they(especially the 2nd and 3rd albums), were really heavier than people gave them credit for. I never owned any of the albums, but after I got married in the early 90's, I started listening to my wifes discs, and what do you know...I had never realized how ballsy Uncle Tom's Cabin really was. The guitar sound is pretty thick, and the drums were nice and powerful. Then I heard Dog Eat Dog, and thought some of the tracks on that were as smokin' as a Priest record. Don't get me wrong, I'm not making any Pantera claims for these guys, but I really think a Priest/Scorpions fan would really find something to like about this disc. Just do what I do when I get caught and say: "It's not mine, it's my wifes". :)

3.0 out of 5 stars More muscular than most hair-metal bands., April 18, 2000
D. Mok (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best of (Audio CD)
Most of the Warrant catalogue isn't as strong as this song -- "Heaven" became a big power ballad in 1989 but is pretty generic, and "I Saw Red" from 1990's Cherry Pie album had a meandering structure, on this set further hindered by an "acoustic" mix that took even the faintest suggestion of edge the song ever had. But there are still good times to be had on this collection: "Cherry Pie", sexist and brain-dead as it is, is enjoyable on a purely headbangin' level; the band's reinvention of Queen's "We Will Rock You" with a full-rock-band arrangement is fitting; and "Machine Gun" (from 1993's Dog Eat Dog, the beginning of the band's commercial decline) even showed a hint of Skid Row-style grit.

4.0 out of 5 stars This collection is "Heaven"., December 30, 2003
H3@+h "Over 1500 reviews!" (thanks for the helpful review votes) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best of (Audio CD)
Listening to this disc, I wonder why "Warrant" didn't get quite as big as some of their peers. Whether it's metal anthems, or ballads, this is loaded with great songs from that era. It's almost impossible not to bang your head, or air-guitar to "Down Boys" and "Cherry Pie". Plus, "Heaven" and "Sometimes She Cries" are just classic hair songs. They also started to get a little rootsy, and less glam on songs like "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and "Bed Of Roses". I think they could have done a better cover than "We Will Rock You", but at least it's listenable. Overall, a must for your "hair" collection. It'll go great with your "Cinderella" and "Poison" cd's.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely beautiful music, March 18, 2003
Stephen (South-East Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Best of (Audio CD)
I had the chance of barrowing this cd from my singer. It is wonderful. If you like heavier 80s hair bands type music, this cd is for you. Its full of excellent love/power ballads that are usually not played on the radio because most people dont have the ability to feel the passion involved with this kind of rock. ok, sorry about the sarcasm but, seriously, this cd rocks. if you like stuff like poison, you'll love this. I say "buy it" or just stop listening to music.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why did they screw with "I Saw Red"?, August 31, 1999
This review is from: Best of (Audio CD)
For many male rock fans, well me anyway, Warrant was a guilty pleasure. Sure, they weren't Firehouse or Trixter but you still wouldn't wear a Warrant shirt to a Metallica concert for fear of an ass-whuppin'. After a near decade of way too serious "new metal", listening to this CD was a welcome breath of fresh air. "Down Boys", "Thin Disguise", "Mr. Rainmaker" and Thin Lizzy ripoff "Big Talk" all hit the right licks. "Cherry Pie" is the quintessential TooShort rap with guitars & real drums. And naturally, "Uncle Tom's Cabin" still peels the skin off my ears. Of course, the other half of the Warrant songbook was big, fat power ballads and they are here too. Well, those are for my wife. Listen, if you must, to the cliche' riddled "Heaven", "Sometimes She Cries", and "Bed of Roses". Surprisingly, paint-by-numbers "Blind Faith" didn't make this collection. My biggest gripe, however, is the solo acoustic version of "I Saw Red" that is riper than a toddler's morning diaper. "Red" is the one Warrant ballad I did like and probably in my top 3 overall and we get this way way over the top melodramatic version. Well, when my wife said she thought this version was really good, I realized I had the answer to my question above. That Warrant, always playing to the ladies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warrant Rocks!!!, April 29, 1999
This review is from: Best of (Audio CD)
This album contains all the hits Warrant had and I think it's a pretty good representation...even though some of their later albums were ignored...which is fine with me because after Dog Eat Dog they kinda went alternative a little too much (but they're recording a new album with their traditional sound now). Tracks like Down Boys, Heaven, Sometimes She Cries, Uncle Tom's Cabin, and their cover of We Will Rock You are great. I like the album version of "I Saw Red" better than the acoustic version on this album, but now I have them both. The song "Cherry Pie" is much maligned, but heck, it's a great party song...I LOVE it! Lighten up. Probably the band's most diverse and underrated album was Dog Eat Dog. There are definitely some incredible songs and songwriting on this album. I suggest buying this Greatest Hits plus Dog Eat Dog to get the full Warrant impact. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warrant ROCKS!, July 15, 2007
This review is from: Best of (Audio CD)
Upon hearing their beautiful Power Ballad "HEAVEN" on a local radio station, I decided to purchase this CD on Amazon. And guess what, as an 80's metal fanatic, this CD is totally cool! Every track could send shivers to your spine! Warrant proves to be an example of a band that brings life to 80's metal with an exceptional talent on glam and party anthems as well as heart stopping power ballads! This CD is highly recommended for rock n' roll fans!

Best of
Best of by Warrant (Audio CD - 1996)
Rate and Discover Movies