Industrial-Sized Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoor Deals on HTL

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 17, 2009 6:01:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 18, 2009 3:36:15 AM PDT]

Posted on May 17, 2009 6:56:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 17, 2009 6:58:01 PM PDT
A Customer says:
I love CRT but changed to LCD. I like Plasma but I can see those BIGASS pixels.

Posted on May 17, 2009 10:57:24 PM PDT
If I'm interpreting your post correctly, you're concerned about seeing films in the proper cadence, i.e. 24 frames per second.

Well, if that's your main concern, the best display to get is one which displays at 240hz, since it can interpolate frames for any source without dropping them, be it 24fps, 30fps, or 60fps. There should be no "judder" that is not actually in the source material.

If you're worried about undue processing, well, there are two issues. One is in the source, the other is in the display. I'll tell you right now that all of the Trek movie Blu-Rays suffer from various degrees of DNR, which scrubs away a bit of detail in faces. As far as a display, you just want to get one with "defeatable" processing. Sony displays are usually well known for having a "custom" or "cinema" mode that turns off most of the crapola (edge enhancement, black level enhancement, noise reduction) that plage the "Standard" modes of most sets.

Personally, I think the most important things in a display are its ability to display a deep shade of black and also to render an increasing amount of light from that darkest shade smoothly. If a set "crushes" data near black, you'll lose a lot of detail in shadows. A display that ramps up smoothly from black ought to give you all the information present in the image.

If you're looking for a big screen with these characteristics, I might look at the Mistubishi laser televisions ( Mitsubishi L65A90 65-Inch LaserVue Rear Projection HDTV ). Supposedly, they have very deep blacks, extremely accurate colors, and a very good gamma progression (detail near black). They're expensive, but no more so than all the stuff you'd need for a front projection setup, and you can watch them in a daylit room, unlike FP. They also ought to have an extremely long lifespan, since the lasers do not dim anywhere near as fast as a projection lamp or a plasma display. Although I am a partisan of Sony televisions, I will say that if I were in the market for a large HDTV display right now, I'd be looking hard at Mitsubishi's Laservue.

I own a 50 inch Sony SXRD television, which is a rear projection LCOS TV. I like it quite a bit - it is 60hz, though, but I don't care about cadence as much as you seem to.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2009 11:50:19 AM PDT
"I love CRT but changed to LCD. I like Plasma but I can see those BIGASS pixels."

That doesn't make sense to me....a 1080P plasma has just as many pixels as a 1080P LCD. Well Star Trek is no different then any movie: get the TV set that looks the best to you. Everyone is going to pipe in about what technology they're biased towards.

I might as well pipe in as well! :) I'm a plasma fan myself..Pioneer or Panasonic are tops in my don't have to take out a second mortgage for a 65" plasma: and your typical plasma has better color range and response time then your typical LCD. But there are pros and cons with each: plasma: heavier, more chance for glare, can have temporary burn in effects, generally not as bright as LCD: LCD: colors not as good as plasma, narrower viewing angle, more potential for motion artifacts.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2009 4:32:39 PM PDT

Some earlier plasmas do have a more noticeable interpixel gap. I agree though that this is mostly remedied with newer models.

If "Pixel Fill" is your primary concern, DLP or LCOS sets are the way to go.

Posted on May 18, 2009 6:25:04 PM PDT
A Customer says:
I like Plasma but I can see the dots. Easy; Mr Rosenberg, you're losing your sense of humor.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2009 8:45:59 AM PDT
"Some earlier plasmas do have a more noticeable interpixel gap. I agree though that this is mostly remedied with newer models."

Well sure, on an older plasma HDTV, you can see individual pixels if you sit right up on the TV. But who does that? I guess people who claim a big difference with 720P vs 1080P on a 42" screen. I'm more of a perfectionist when it comes to color: the best plasmas still seem to have the edge over color then LCD technologies. The differences between plasma, LCD, and projection TVs if one really wanted to weigh the differences, they have to consider their own requirements.

Posted on May 20, 2009 2:40:58 PM PDT
I agree, pixel fill has become much better on plasmas. I'm just pointing out where a person's misapprehension about the issue might come from. If they haven't looked hard at plasma in 5 years, they might think that "screen door effect" was still an issue.

I think LCD's are kinda sucky for serious "home theater" displays - they struggle with black levels, screen uniformity, and detail near black. *But* they're good for all-around daytime usage, and they are getting better all the time, especially as LED backlit models with "local dimming" get cheaper.

Given that 40-50" 1080p plasma displays from reputable companies such as Panasonic are getting into sub-$1k territory, they're definitely worth looking at.

Posted on May 20, 2009 6:30:39 PM PDT
Damon says:
Well sell 30 LCD's and 2 Plasma where I work. 2nd largest retailer in USA. The plasma 's look aweful. The LCD's blow the plasma out of the water in color and brightness.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2009 11:09:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2009 11:13:25 AM PDT
I'm surprised that you make that acessment from floor models at a retail store. I hate all PQ characteristics from LCD, plasma, or front projection on display at Walmart, Target, Best Buy et all: when they're setting up the display, they just unwrap the TVs and keep them set to vivid. All the pictures look god awful: overly saturated and posterized from an un-calibrated picture.

Posted on May 21, 2009 2:22:05 PM PDT
I second that emotion, David. At the very minimum, everyone who buys a display over 40" should run the "THX optimizer" found on Lucasfilm DVDs to calibrate their sets (i.e. dial down the brightness to get good blacks, de-blue the colors, and turn off sharpness and edge enhancers). I highly recommend everyone get some sort of real calibration disc, too, like DVE, AVIA, or the new one (can't recall the name).

Store settings are ridiculous. How many of us view our TVs in giant warehouses with 10,000 fluorescent overhead lights?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  May 17, 2009
Latest post:  May 21, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions