Best dollar per GB value

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2012 2:10:07 PM PST
Derek Chen says:
Pretty expensive for a memory card unless the speeds are UHS1 grade. But just letting people know that even though this is $100, it has the best value at $3.16 per GB among Vita memory cards.

For reference, the dollar per GB ratios for other Vita memory cards.

4GB: $5 per GB
8GB: $3.75 per GB
16GB: $3.75 per GB
32GB: $3.125 per GB

It's pricey, but it's better than buying a bunch of 4GB cards if you need more space.

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 3:00:44 PM PST
Ivan says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 4:46:48 PM PST
Ian Blake says:
lol $100 for 32gb this is crazy

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2012 8:19:30 PM PST
Derek Chen says:
Perhaps if it was Class 10 speed, then yes, it's crazy.

But all UHS1 speed SD cards currently run for more than the Vita memory card prices. They have twice the read/write speeds as your standard Class 10 cards (that are already twice as fast as your standard Class 4). A 32GB Sandisk UHS1 card costs a bit more than $100. These speeds are a godsend for film makers and photographers using devices that aren't compatible with CF cards.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2011-sd-cards/CrystalDiskMark-3.0-x64,2712.html

The problem is we really don't know how fast these Vita cards are. I'm wagering that they need to have a certain read speed in order to play the games without very long loading times, but from the testing done on Youtube it doesn't seem like these memory cards are that much faster than the game cards. Write speed is irrelevant unless you download the games to a PC/PS3 and then transfer it to the Vita, so there is a slight merit in having faster write speeds. Overall it's largely a stupid idea on Sony's part to go with proprietary stuff like this again, but I thought I'd just let everyone know that at $99 this card actually presents the best value.

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 6:20:30 AM PST
C. Rawls says:
They went proprietary for two very simple reasons. 1. To make back some money they are losing on every Vita. 2. To keep card compatibility down to a single card so that they wouldn't have to hear people complain about different cards not performing correctly with the Vita. How many times have you heard about people buying knock-off cards and then getting really pissed when they fail? Plenty of times I'm sure. With the PS Vita cards being proprietary, Sony can control how they are produced and keep the read/write speeds the same across all the cards, thereby ensuring that their users/customers are getting a memory card that is 100% compatible with the Vita and all of its functions. Simple really.

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 5:17:02 PM PST
M. Henzel says:
I just bought a 16GB SDHC Micro (Class 6) card for $9 a couple weeks ago.

Sony should stop with the proprietary media or they are going to end up with PSP like sales again.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 8:37:18 AM PST
C. Riccio says:
I think people underestimate the sales of the PSP.
It did sell well over 50million units.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 8:44:48 AM PST
Aurelle says:
$250 for a game system with hardware that surpasses any $500~$800 Tablet on the market today? Yeah $100 is crumbs for the value you're getting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 2:19:23 PM PST
you are comparing apples to oranges...You see them both as a storage system so you think they are the same thing and you're getting ripped off. Considering the type of data being saved to the card (many times actual installed game data similar to PS3 game data) the Vita memory card needs to have extremely high read and write speeds. So comparing prices to SD cards is ridiculous...SD cards are the bologna in a memory card meat market.

Also, C. Rawls, has a good point as well about Sony needing to make money on the cards so they aren't losing money on every Vita sold. Sony didn't want a repeat of slow starting sales like with the PS3 so they knew they had to have the hardware at a low price point to begin with. Now it may seem sneaky to then raise the prices of the memory cards to get some of that back but they know it will work because one you convince people to buy the hardware they know people can't resist buying all the best accessories for that device.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2012 10:03:03 PM PST
Facelord says:
Apparently they aren't losing much money on each Vita(if any at all), according to recent finds. I wish I could use my memory stick pro duo cards in my Vita, it really sucks to have a dead PSP, 16 gigs of memory stick storage space and a Vita + only 4 gigs of Vita storage(pre-ordered).

Expensive proprietary memory, only one PSN account per memory card... pfff, freaking Sony had to pull this stuff at the last second to give me one final bit of disappointment. Still getting it, still gonna play it for thousands of hours, still disappointed at what could have been.

Posted on Jan 23, 2012 7:03:11 AM PST
C. Rawls says:
Facelord, that analysis was just about the components that the Vita is built with. They didn't analyze assembly, shipping, retailer's cut, R&D, advertising, salaries, warehouse storage space, and a whole host of other costs that go into creating a new electronic device. So the fact that it costs $160 for just the components alone definitely means Sony is losing money on each PS Vita sold. $250 for all the Vita offers is a great price and Sony is most certainly taking a hit on each one they sell.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2012 7:27:30 AM PST
Misterhbk says:
Worldwide the PSP sold well over 70 million actually, placing it in the top 10 of the highest sold gaming devices. In fact every gaming product from Sony (ps1, ps2, psp, ps3) have all made it into the top 10 highest selling gaming devices. Just a little fun fact.

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 5:38:55 PM PST
Fred says:
I'll be enjoying my 32GB loaded Vita shortly, will be worth it... life is short who wants to wait 2 years for memory to be cheaper?

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 1:38:34 PM PST
Movieskinny says:
When they allow a review I will put this same info in the review.

Yes, another proprietary "Betamax" product from the worlds giant of consumer electronics. Instead of selling a gazillion PS Vitas, Mr. Nakamahorichi, only wants sell a billion Vitas with you starting all over again with new games, batteries, memory cards(god knows we all have countless pro duo cards from any manufacturer), accessories galore. I don't know this for a fact yet, but even the Vita games look proprietary too, and with no psp compat.

Don't get me wrong, I love Sony products, but this latest incarnation of memory is ridiculous. I just purchased a 32gb pro duo card for my psp2000, and 32gb micro for my Sony Er' phone, and all for $120 on Amz.

PspGo died, and is not being sold outside the USA. Sony has created ill will with their CDs that won't play because of the copy protection, the pro duo card was painful enough. A generic SD card would have been great. Now we have micro SD cards.

Please just stop the proprietary nonsense. Just say no to Vita. I'm sure it is wonderful, and will probably be more compatible with the PS3, because the Psp sure as heck wasn't as advertised.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 3:22:21 PM PST
Sparky says:
LOL, is this written by a 10 year old?? I mean seriously "I don't know this for a fact yet, but even the Vita games look proprietary too, and with no psp compat." LOL

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 1:37:51 PM PST
G. Krebs says:
Just for those who are claiming the price of the memory card is for Sony to make up costs from the Vita units...this is not true. I love Sony; however, they are definitely price-gouging here. The Vita systems cost Sony around $168 to make. They're already making profit on each system sold... Oh, Sony.

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 4:55:38 PM PST
S. Tan says:
@G. Krebs

Stop being another misinformed troll.

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 9:48:03 PM PST
Mr.Zero says:
*SIGH*

I need to remember to stop coming to Amazon's boards... One site with rampant idiots trolling is enough for me.

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 6:09:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2012 6:10:32 AM PST
C. Riccio says:
G.Krebs...
The reason you are being called a troll is b/c there is much more to it than the parts to manufacture.

There's the setting up of manufacturing facilities.
R&D
Packaging
Assembly
Software management (keeping the OS up to date)
PSN (or SEN or whatever) maintenance
etc.

Sure, the cost of the system parts is around $170, but that doesn't mean they are making money yet. They have to cover the costs they incurred creating the Vita and producing them as well.

3DS got the same cost analysis and was said to be around $100... and they were charging $250 out of the gate.
So the cost was $150 over the price of the parts.
They lowered the price to $170 and are now losing money (more likely breaking even now) on each unit sold. There's more to it than just the parts in the machine.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 7:45:15 PM PST
Fred Mercury says:
@G. Krebs

IF you own any Apple product (itouc, iphone, mac) then you are a hypocrite. Apple charges a markup of 40% yet people still buy it. I could have swore the point of being in business is to make money, not break even.

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 3:55:17 AM PST
sakanagai says:
Cost for new memory formats is high. If you don't want to shell out $100 to start, don't. There is a decent chance that these memory cards will decrease in price and/or increase in size over the next year or so. If you can make due with 4GB or 8GB (bundle/starter kit sizes) whether by limiting downloads or relying on retail versus SEN, buy the smaller card and wait until the pricing is more to your liking.

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 6:40:21 AM PST
JCost says:
Lockerz is selling these cards for $74.99 with free shipping. It generally takes them a few days longer to get it out to you, but if cost is your only concern then you can save some money here. At that price, you're not paying that much more than a 32gb microsd normally costs.

Oh yeah... at $74.99, the costs per gb is roughly $2.35 per.

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 1:19:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2012 3:07:01 PM PST
K. Jernigan says:
In 2005 the psp memory cards was $100 for 1gb now that was crazy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 7:55:30 PM PST
mjc0961 says:
Dude, speed tests long ago proved that Vita memory cards aren't even close to being as fast as class 10, let alone the kind of higher speed cards you're talking about. Cards even faster than the Vita memory cards are cheaper. Sony is point blank ripping people off with these things.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-how-fast-are-vita-memory-cards
http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/The+Silent+Protagonist/fools-money-quickly-parted-vita-memory-card-speeds-tested-222299.phtml

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2013 4:10:34 PM PDT
Thanks for those links, very interesting.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  22
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card
32GB PlayStation Vita Memory Card by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation Vita)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (581)