Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale
Customer Discussions > A Different Kind of Truth forum

Best Buy has the VH album out NOW.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 3, 2012 8:40:42 AM PST
MRT says:
On the shelves early.

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 8:52:42 AM PST
How much is it? Do they have a special edition version? Thanks for the info MRT.

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 12:30:41 PM PST
my best buy didn't have it out at all

james....for the special edition cd/dvd, it's only $14.99
and the regular one cd version will be $9.99

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2012 4:13:28 PM PST
I'll have to check out the one by my house. $14.99 sounds good for the spec ed one. Thanks for the info Matthew.

Posted on Feb 3, 2012 8:42:39 PM PST
NT says:
Even though it's only a measly $15, the DVD will probably be up on youtube eventually. Completists will probably want it though!

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 2:06:02 PM PST
I just picked up my copy at one of the Best Buys in the Milwaukee area. The special edition version was $16.99.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2012 4:07:13 PM PST
bass boy says:
Is the special edition CD/DVD version in a jewel case or digi-pak at Best Buy?
Thanks.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 5:06:05 AM PST
it appears to be in a jewel case....at least one band get's it right!

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 5:06:48 AM PST
not sure why one best buy was charging $16.99 for the cd/dvd edition, when it's clearly stated to be $14.99 for it in their flyer...weird

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 9:49:21 AM PST
bass boy says:
Hey Matthew, thanks for the heads-up. Yeah for jewel cases! Hopin' this disc rocks! :)

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 9:53:58 AM PST
i'm just going off copies i've seen selling on ebay from people listing copies they've gotten already from best buy stores...and yes, both versions of the cd comes in a jewel case.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 10:00:46 AM PST
bass boy says:
Thanks Matthew. Maybe I'll go to my Best Buy here at lunch. (wink) :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 12:52:38 PM PST
Do you really think the band has a say so (or cares) in what type of case it comes in? I would hope they do but it just seems so petty that big stars would even care. Sure some are more green than others but VH, I doubt it. Jewel case is nice for us but the paper cardboard one is nice for when someone finally chucks out my CDs into the landfill.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 2:25:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2012 2:26:43 PM PST
bass boy says:
@James,
I never said a band has a say in what kind of case/packaging a CD has. :)

Here's a scenario to think about re: society's "landfill/green" statement/argument.
Cardboard sleeves decompose easier/quicker in landfills, sure, but if all we get are CDs (and DVDs) in cardboard sleeves, then the discs are going to get scratched about 150 times quicker, forcing people to buy more replacement CDs and DVDs. So which is better, one jewel case in a landfill or 9 CD copies of the same album in a landfill? I'm all for bettering our environment, but at the same time, I don't want to have to pay $10 to $15 several times over for just one CD title I have or want to own, that's all.
This reminds me of the refridgerators that are supposedly more eco-friendly now. They last about eight years, but, we're told, "they're better for the environment." If those fridges are better for the environment, then it doesn't make sense when a person is throwing a fridge in the landfill every seven or eight years, versus the older ones that would last up to 20 years or more.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 2:30:32 PM PST
actually yes, i do think the band has somewhat of a say in the packaging...they do make a decision in the layout and things of that nature...

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 2:32:26 PM PST
in the metallica movie "some kind of monster, it shows in one spot, them picking how they wanted st. anger to be packaged, and when they were showed the one way in the digipack with a different shaped booklet (like how pearl jam usually uses now) and with a bonus dvd in a slit in the middle like how it is, they absolutely loved it and picked that one as to how it would be packaged. i also know they picked what pictures and whatnot go in the booklet and inlays.....so yes, the band picks things like that, well the ones that care about the packaging of their album 100%...

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 5:03:14 PM PST
So anyone have the Deluxe version, is the DVD worth it?

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 7:44:48 PM PST
dont ask and just get it....if you're an actual fan that is...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 11:32:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2012 11:33:09 AM PST
bass boy says:
According to Best Buy's sticker on the CD/DVD combo, there are three acoustic songs on the DVD. I just bought the CD-only version for 5 bucks cheaper, thinking I can watch the 3-song video later on Youtube or maybe even the band's own website. I will say this, the cover artwork is growing on me. It looks much better in the jewel case, in my hand, than it does as a JPEG on amazon. Lol! :)

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 12:18:49 PM PST
Steve says:
The 3 acoustic songs on the DVD are Panama, You & Your Blues, and Beautiful Girls. Well shot performance (but seems at least partially overdubbed, especially the background vox), but if you don't like Dave's tendency to ramble and his cheesy grin, it may not be for you. There is actually 4 tracks, the extra one being a long intro to You & Your Blues where Dave rambles.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 10:03:07 AM PST
Matthew, Yea I figured the band would pick the pics and essay/liner notes stuff but was not sure if they cared about the actual case. I think they might these days more then 25 years ago. I have many of those cardboard sleeves and I am pretty careful as to not shove it in or grab it and yank it out (damn that last part could be taken out of context for a laugh :-0). Some of those are pretty tight and you have to work at it but most I find OK. The jewel case where it snaps into place and does not really touch anything is the best. I wonder how much scratching really does happen. Next time I pull one out I'll look at the CD. Later.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 10:14:59 AM PST
Hey bass boy, I did not mean to say that you said that...ah...ah well you know about CD cases, if I did...what did I say???. I think I was just asking in general to everybody do we think...blah blah blah?

A lot of people never really even think of the landfills, out of site out of mind I guess. Well I work in San Diego and right next to the Miramar Marine Air Station is, yes you guessed it, a landfill. When the wind shifts and you hear the F/A-18's real clear you also smell the landfill. It is so close to the ritzy high rent La Jolla area I'm shocked we do not hear more complaints from the rich folks. I think the fill has been there for many many years before a lot of the nice condos were built. How did I get so off track. I hope the VH album is good. How do you like it so far? I always like Dave, even when he hams it up. Some people can do ham better than others. See ya.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 10:57:00 AM PST
bass boy says:
Hey James, no worries. Still friends. :)

I actually like the Van Halen CD. None of the guitar riffs jump out at you at first like they did on those early VH albums, but that's not a terrible thing, either. I think Ed's playing is inspired, and I actually like Roth's voice on here, although you can tell it's dropped a little in pitch with age (they all do, right? - Elton John, Roger Daltrey, even Geddy Lee). The guitar seems to be the loudest, with prominent bass. Alex can be heard, although his drums, at times, seem a pinch buried in the mix. I like the CD. It's good. Their playing is inspired and they sound like they're having fun playing together in the studio again. I miss Anthony, but it's still a solid CD. "Tattoo" actually is growing on me. Had they not had the "Tattoo, Tattoo" background vocal parts sound not as processed (they sound almost sampled), I think the song would have been much stronger. The track definitely is the most "poppy" on the CD, minus the beginning of "Mr. Frosty." If you're a VH fan, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I know expectations run so high from many of us fans - I saw/heard that with The Who's "Endless Wire" CD, The Who's first studio LP in 24 years, back in 2006. I actually think half of "Endless Wire" was terrific, while the other half was good or really good. I'm kinda leaning that way with this VH CD. It doesn't top "Fair Warning" or "Van Halen (1978)," but it's good nonetheless. It's just nice to hear real instruments played in an inspired way by a real band. And it's fun-sounding, which is what VH was almost always about. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Feb 3, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Different Kind of Truth
A Different Kind of Truth by Van Halen (Audio CD - 2012)
4.2 out of 5 stars (871)