Customer Discussions > PlayStation 3 320GB System forum

Best system for a casual gamer?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 11, 2011 9:03:21 AM PST
Lizzy K says:
My husband and I are looking to get a new gaming system I'm thinking that this would be the best for our needs but I'd like some other opinions based on how we would plan to use it.
1) We are not "gamers". We like survival horror and my husband likes an RPG now and then. I like the occasional war game, like Call of Duty.

2) We currently use our wii to stream Netflix but the interface sucks. Does this also stream Hulu? And I know that the PS3 doesn't charge a subscription fee but does the xbox charge for just accessing things like Netflix?

3) It would replace our DVD player.

4) It's true that it won't play PS2 games? I wanted to play Silent Hill 3 again. Our PS2 doesn't work well with our Sony Bravia TV. The dark areas just drop off to black and we can't see anything.

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 9:27:35 AM PST
monoblocks says:
Between the 360 and PS3 I'd have to say that the PS3 is the better overall choice, simply because the Sony unit offers more when it comes to extra media options beyond games. The PS3 can handle Blu-ray discs while Microsoft has been reluctant to add the capability into the 360 (they have to PAY Sony a licensing fee for the privilege). In terms of Netflix and Hulu (HuluPlus on the 360, whatever that means), on the 360 you do have to be an Xbox Live Gold member so yes, there's that additional monthly or annual fee to deal with.

In terms of games, they are basically equal in my eyes. I have both and use them both, though I probably use my 360 a bit more. The PS3 offers a few more exclusive game titles; Sony still is willing to pay developers for that exclusivity while Microsoft seems quite content to allow many of their once exclusive titles to branch over to other platforms. Today's PS3s ARE NOT backwards compatible with older PS2 games; only the earliest, now discontinued first-generation PS3s like the one I own have this capability.

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 5:41:18 PM PST
Lizzy K says:
Thanks! All of our friends have 360s but they're more avid players than we are. Just curious, if they're equal, what makes you lean more towards the 360?

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 9:07:41 AM PST
Bizmah says:
The PS3 streams Netflix for free, and for the 360 you have to have Xbox Live membership. Also, for streaming Hulu, you can just go into the browser on your PS3 and go to hulu.com and watch it like you would on a computer.

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 9:28:35 AM PST
Lizzy K says:
I did a little more research and found on the PS3 site that they just released a HuluPlus app back in late Nov.

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 3:46:48 AM PST
to me, if your going to play games online get the xbox, if not get the ps3.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 8:30:29 AM PST
ITBeast says:
I agree, I think in the long run you would be way better off with a PS3.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Dec 11, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
PlayStation 3 320GB System
PlayStation 3 320GB System by Sony (PlayStation 3)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (315)