Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

on March 23, 2014
I conducted quite a bit of research as far as what top to purchase for quite some time before pulling the trigger on this Bestop Sailcloth Replace-a-Top for my 1999 Wrangler.

The top I am replacing was a Chinese made (SB) top purchased about 3 years ago. I had brought this top into upholstery twice already and while taking the top down a few days ago, a few more rips appeared and I knew it was time for a new one.

I ordered this Bestop, which in comparison to the Smitty-Built is around twice the price, with very high hopes and expectations. I had looked into the even higher quality tops offered by Bestop, which do sound pretty amazing, but was capped for price at the time with this purchase.

As a prime member I received my top two days after my order was placed and was immediately impressed with the material and quality of the top as I opened the box.

I read the instructions provided and also watched the official Bestop youtube link, for installation guidance on this product. The job itself was extremely doable as a one person job. It took me less than one hour all together for removal of the old top and installation of the new one.

All said and done, the top is tight and looks really great. All surfaces of my top that have latches are tightly finned in to the attachment surfaces and have a tight seal. On the road and highway, the level of noise from outside has easily been cut in half. The windows are wrinkle free and tight. The rear window locks in extremely well with the factory tailgate bar and the back latches on both sides of the window that attach to the rear window brackets fit extremely well and tight also.

Overall this top has exceeded my expectations. I had recently purchased the Bestop Black Denim High Back Seat Covers and was so impressed with them that I decided to step up and pay the price and hope for the quality. The quality came and it is here to stay.

I highly recommend you purchase this top if you are in the market for a new soft top and have the cash.
on September 17, 2010
Just wanted to say that that this was a great purchase for our Jeep. Installation was pretty simple with 2 people. The snaps didn't line up at first, but we started over (just unsnapped and started at the other end) and they lined up on the second try. There are fewer screws needed than the original, but have notice no negative impact from it. It fits beautifully, and our ride is a lot quieter - totally noticeable.
on October 2, 2009
At half the cost of an OEM Jeep top this Bestop Replace-a-top seemed like a good deal. The sailcloth is billed as an improvement on the stock vinyl tops but I couldn't see any difference at all in the quality of the vinyl. Right away I ran into an installation problem in that two of the six snaps on the rear bow did not line up. I contacted Bestop who immediately sent me a replacement deck (top w/o windows). My OEM top had fourteen screws to secure the top to the header bar but the Bestop uses only eight. When the installation was completed I noticed that the front seam tucked nicely into the corners of the windshield but protruded noticeably along the center. Whether or not this was a function of fewer screws I can't say but it seemed more than a coincidence. At any rate the seam is weather tight with no leaks at freeway speeds. Overall the Bestop sailcloth Replace-a-top appears to be a quality product comparable to the stock Jeep top.
on May 30, 2015
I bought this from Amazon because of the $100 rebate and Prime shipping and Amazon did a pretty good job -- a little late but they made it right.

I had a BestTop Sailcloth Replace-a-top in spice color on my Jeep but decided I wanted to change to black once I noticed the old top aging and some of the seams starting to come unthreaded. The overall quality of the top was very good so I wanted to replace it with another one.

The top was pretty easy to install but the header install left way too much sag between the header and middle bow. It flapped in the wind and rain would pool on it. That didn't happen on the last one. NOTE: This is NOT the fault of the top -- rather the installer (me). It turns out it's NOT intuitive at all and the instructions leave a lot to be desired. Bestop's video is good but goes a bit too fast on the most important part of the install -- at the header. The trick here... pay attention... is that you lay the plastic strip of the top face up on the header bar with and you will ROLL the top OVER it and over the header. DO NOT pull the plastic around and put it face down... or "double" it to take up the slack to make the seam match. I watched the video 5 times before it made sense.

I tried to contact Bestop twice and got absolutely no response. That's the one star deduction. They did eventually respond and asked for pictures. Once they got them of my "bird bath" version of the top, they told me exactly what I did wrong. And they were right!

There was also a small issue with regard to fit with the side windows attaching at the bottom. The "sail panels" in the back do not allow the sides to easily fit their plastic strips in the same space. I think that will work itself out over time, however. NOTE: After a little over a week, they're fitting better. I added zipper pulls to the side windows right away. They tend to make installing the side windows easier.

I've edited this review from my previous 3-star review because, in the end, it all worked out and it IS a high quality top. Bestop took 6 days to respond to me via email.

Would I buy again? Probably. Do you need their customer service? Probably not if you just do it right the first time.

UPDATE: 10/6/2015. I'm updating this review because of issues with the rebate. Bestop extols the wonderful capability of their warranty company (they don't service the rebate claims) but I've had nothing but issues and while I just got my check (months later), it came with a note that basically said, "call us before you cash it... it might bounce." Bestop's response: Still waiting for one. Back to 3 starts for this because the company doesn't stand behind their rebate program.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2013
Fit just right and the tinted windows are a nice touch. The only thing I did not like is the vagueness of the mounting points to the windshield header. First there were not enough holes in the top so I drilled some extra holes to get all the same number of screws in as the factory top. Just seems more secure this way. Second the corner holes for the header were not there so it was a bit of guess work getting them in the right place. Other than that the top is as good or better than OEM, fits tight and looks great.
on April 13, 2012
I replaced the orginal. This was a straight forward instill. I drilled and added the additional screws, but says it doesn't need it. The tinted windows are nice. I truely think the sound has improved over the OEM top. All ads said it would, but I was thinking thats a sales gimick... NOT. My wife said it is quieter to ride in and she didn't know I up-graded. I recommend it.
on December 3, 2012
Took about an hour and a half to install, but it went fine and fits great, looks great. Wasn't sure if I'd like the tinted windows when looking at it online, but definitely like them now that they're on the vehicle.
on March 22, 2012
I bought this top to replace an aftermarket top that was on my 97 TJ when I got it.
Since I am apparently geometrically challenged, I installed it incorrectly. I called customer service and they were able to help even a bumbling idiot like me get it on correctly. Very grateful for the help, and that's something you just don't get with a lot of companies.
The top fit tightly, looks great, and reduced the road noise in the passenger area dramatically. It's been on for a few days and two nasty thunderstorms. No leaks.
I ordered through Amazon from Morris 4x4, and they were also very helpful, I rec'd the top 2 days after I ordered.

Thanks Morris and Bestop.
on July 6, 2013
I bought one of these ten years ago as a replacement on a '97 TJ I owned and I loved it. When the factory top on my "new" '98 TJ was spent, I bought another one of these and it's still a great top.

The quality on Best Top products is much better than the factory or other replacement tops I've seen, especially the zippers. The sailcloth is totally worth the extra money. It really does cut down on road noise enormously. It stretches in all directions while maneuvering on and off, yet stays taut while driving so it doesn't flap and snap like the old top. It seems to take the cold much better, too. It doesn't get so stiff.

The tint is also really worth it as it cuts down on heat in the back for the dogs and gives some privacy and protection for cargo. It reduces glare for the driver, too.

Don't even think about a cheaper top, this is what you want. Tops are frustrating enough as it is, so get the good one and you'll thank yourself later when you're in a rain storm trying to put the thing on.
on May 22, 2015
I'm happy with it. It installed well. I did it alone, however it will be easier and more fun with a friend. You can find install videos online. My only complaint is the Windows could be a bit tighter they have a bit of waveyness in a couple spots. Could be my frame I installed the best top factory frame so I would think it should be the right fit. You will also want to add some 550 cord or something to make zipping them on or off easier. The windows are thick and clear to look through things aren't distorted. It's way quieter than my previous worn out top.