4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, poor components
This game is really great. Someone in my gaming group has the 1st edition, so we were all really excited when we found out this was being reprinted.
For those of you who have played the first edition, the gameplay is the same. Some rules have been clarified, and there is more text on some of the room tiles for ease of use.
For those of you who haven't played:...
Published on October 19, 2010 by T. Hey

Published on April 4, 2011 by S. Foulon

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game, poor components, October 19, 2010
This review is from: Betrayal At House On The Hill - 2nd Edition (Toy)
For those of you who haven't played: you should. You are a group of explorers going through a haunted house. Up to 6 people can play, and each of the 6 character cards has a front and a back, each with different stats to add variation. Other people have posted more on how the game works, so I won't go too much into it right now.
This reprint added some new haunts, which is really fun. I haven't had a chance to play many of the new ones, but I did get to play one with hidden traitors, and I enjoyed it. Some of the haunts can also be unbalanced. I was the traitor for one haunt where I didn't get to do a single damage to any of the heroes. The next week, I was the traitor for the same haunt and I absolutely obliterated the heroes. It all depends on how the house is set up, and dice luck.
My only complaint about this reprint is the quality of the components of this game. Something about the cardboard they used this time around just doesn't work. The first print had good, thick cardboard that felt high-quality. When I took this reprint out of the box, all of the cardboard components started to warp. The room tile stack can easily be compressed an inch or two because of this warping. Some people have prevented this by immediately placing the cardboard pieces under a book for a day or two after opening them, but I'm not sure if that works all of the time or not. Another component they didn't quite get right are the black plastic clips. In the first printing, they clips were too tight on the cardboard, and ended up scratching whatever part they were placed on. In the reprint, they are too loose. We have had some slide off completely because they are so loose they have no traction. The 5 spare clips can sometimes be enough to give you clips that fit on all the pieces you need, but it's not a guarantee.

The low quality of the pieces do detract from gameplay a little bit (when the room tiles slide under each other on the table, or your stat slider goes to the minimum and you die) but this is still a great game with a fun theme and lots of replayability. I would certainly recommend it, especially if they fix the game components.

Edit 2013:
As some have said in the comments, Wizards of the Coast is very good about replacing the cardboard in this game. I have had mine replaced through this process as well, and the replacements are great. While it is a hassle to have to request a replacement, it is well worth it and takes away the only deterrent to buying this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars BAHOTH is back and AWESOME!, October 15, 2010
This review is from: Betrayal At House On The Hill - 2nd Edition (Toy)
I've only played this edition a few times, but so far I am loving it! It doesn't seem much different from the first besides the new and more balanced haunts, plus some board fixes (the Underground Lake is no longer an upper floor tile sadly!). The room tiles and characters are pretty much the exact same, but it looks like they did some minor revamping with the monster/item tokens so that they're easier to differentiate when searching for a specific token.

For those of you who are new to BAHOTH, I definitely recommend picking it up, especially if you're into other RPG styled board games (or just any RPG games in general). Basically, each character has four stats (Might, Speed, Sanity, Knowledge) that they need to keep up during the game to continue exploring, find items, etc before the Haunt begins. Once the Haunt begins, one (or more) of the characters becomes the "traitor", essentially the game is now the house + the traitor(s) vs the heroes (everyone else playing). The heroes read a scenario from a different guide than the traitor(s), in a separate room so that each team can develop a game plan. From there, the house and the traitor(s) attempt to prevent the heroes from escaping or solving the mystery of the house (depends on the Haunt presented). There are a ton of different Haunt scenarios, and each one is really interesting because they usually involve the history of the house, or the history of the characters, and each party has a different perspective on it that the other party isn't aware of.

All in all, definitely pick this one up, ESPECIALLY now that it's getting close to Halloween! It's best played with more than 3 friends (I think max is 6) to creepy Halloween music at night. Enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Wizards of the Coast: Moisture During Printing Caused Tile Warping, April 4, 2011
This review is from: Betrayal At House On The Hill - 2nd Edition (Toy)
I actually bought this game at my local game store and discovered the tile warping discussed in many reviews. I returned to the game store and ran into a Wizards of the Coast employee who, as soon as he saw me returning the game, asked me if it was because of the "tiles". He explained that they had a moisture issue during the initial print run that caused the tiles to warp slightly when removed from the shrink wrap. He said that the problem had been addressed during the subsequent production run and he very generously volunteered to send me a new set of tiles, so I didn't have to return the game after all.

As for the game itself, it's not bad. I was really hoping it was a hidden traitor game, but unfortunately, the traitor is revealed as soon as he or she is designated. The strength of the game is the collection of ending scenarios which provides a lot of interesting variety during the first 50 play-throughs. On the down side, the game is light on strategy and heavy on luck, especially during the first half of each game. If you've got kids between 10 and 16, they'll probably enjoy it a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars This game is nothing short of A-MAZ-ING!!!, February 9, 2012
This review is from: Betrayal At House On The Hill - 2nd Edition (Toy)
I've been eyeing this game on the huge back wall of role playing board game stores for the longest time. When I spotted it around Christmas time at its lowest price in a mega sale, I took a huge leap of faith in purchasing it, not knowing a thing about it, and I have not regretted it for a second to this day. So, I won't go into the intimate details of how to play the game because I'm sure my fellow fanatics have done that enough, but instead, I'll just give you a short and sweet list of pros and cons to maybe sway you in any decisions of this game. Here goes nothing:

Pros:
*This is a role playing game, so it's very complex, but a bit more sophisticated than your run-in-the-mill board games that are usually picked up and won 15 minutes later. It does take a bit longer, but this is a game that allows you to immerse yourself in a real, personal horror story! In my experiences of playing, the most suspenseful events have occurred, from epic boss fights, to frantic scrambles to survive and retrieve vital items, to discovering an exit out of the basement... just a turn too late to drown there. This is the stuff horror stories are made of!!

*Role playing games usually spark the images of dusty castles, dragons, and barbaric, fur clad warriors fighting things, and, let's face it, it's not everyone's idea of fun or interesting. I was drawn to this game because it has more modern elements that are a little more imaginable and easier to relate to.

*This game is COMPLETELY unpredictable!! You don't even find out what your goal is until the middle of the game! The game is based on a chart that is split up between a list of omens and a list of room names it was found in, and depending on combination determines not only one of FIFTY different house scenarios, but also who is the antagonist is the game. The beauty of this system is that your games will most likely be different every time, and the enemy may even be yourself through the game and not even know it!!

*You read right, there are FIFTY different scenarios in the game, throwing a slew of fantastic horrors at you like werewolves, vampires, mummies, an abyss to hell that COLLAPSES THE HOUSE, and even a saw-like scenario that I didn't even imagine they would include!

*Once again, the rules are very complex, but the good part is that there is a basic formula to the rolls, so it easily becomes familiar with playing the game. And any specific added rules for cards, events, or rooms are usually stated right where they need to be to be executed.

Cons:
*Teaching the rules to a group of people who haven't played it before on the fly may cause for sloppy or disastrous game play. It may be enough to intimidate or put people off from the game.

*Role playing games aren't for everyone, so if you're playing with someone who isn't into the art of story telling, it may make the following 45 minutes a bit painful for everyone who's playing.

*Because the game is played by dividing the information and goals into two scenario booklets - the antagonist tome, and the heroes tips for survival - there are a few holes and gaps in the rules that may make the game play a little difficult. For instance, there is a mummy scenario that tells the antagonist to place an item token in a room to represent a sarcophagus. Meanwhile, in the heroes rules of survival, to complete their goal, they have the option of investigating the sarcophagus, however, their book fails to inform them that the item the antagonist has placed is the sarcophagus, leaving them clueless in this sense. It doesn't help when you hit a snag during a game like that the first time, but I simply make notes in the books to make the game play more coherent for the next time. Luckily, there are also forums that have specified rules for such an occasion.

*Yes, the game is comprised of many cardboard tile and chips, and small plastic components, and, unfortunately, these materials aren't the the sturdiest choices for game pieces. But, like anything in life, if you treat it well, it will serve you as long as you keep it.

So ends my nifty little commentary. If I couldn't draw you into this game, I'm very sorry that you'll be missing out. But if you are purchasing this game, I promise you are definitely in for some fantastically wild times! Happy haunting, and even more, BETRAYING! (MWAHAHAHAHAHA!)

5.0 out of 5 stars B-Movie Paradise, October 26, 2013
This review is from: Betrayal At House On The Hill - 2nd Edition (Toy)
BAHOTH is effectively a B-Movie generator for you and your friends. First explore a randomly generated house that you build yourselves as you sheepishly explore it like a sadistic Scooby Doo cartoon. One of 50 haunts will eventually come and change the game from co-op to a traitor vs. hero phase which can feature anything from a demonic master, carnivorous plant or giant snake.

My first game I was playing as a small boy named Peter Akimoto. Well things went kinda oddly for Peter as he got possessed by phantoms, befriended a strange dog and finally turned into Ouroboros the World Eater. I then immediately ate my dog. Friends and girlfriend then tried to prevent my thrashes throughout the house, but it was all for naught as I grew so large that I consumed the house and then the world itself...

So you could see how this is all great fun and very thematic. It's also great how time is given at the start to allow some customization of your character by encountering random events, omens and items. However this same random allocation of loot can sometimes create some imbalanced match ups during the traitor vs. hero second phase of the game. Honestly though, this is okay as -stated previously- this really is just an experience of a B-Movie playing out with your friends and sometimes, well, it's just not a fair fight.

If you can roll with that one flaw then definitely buy this game and don't mind the other reviews speaking of damaged components. Just make sure to buy new as that misprint has been fixed for sometime, but could be floating in the used section. Final note would be that some of the flavor text in this game is very gruesome and most likely not suitable for younger children or the squeamish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun game for adults.. and kids if adult is the "referee", September 21, 2013
This review is from: Betrayal At House On The Hill - 2nd Edition (Toy)
Fair disclosure requires that I admit I enjoy games with very complicated rules to begin with .. yes I am one of those "dungeons and dragons" geeks you hear about casting missiles at the darkness and what not :P .. so my threshold so to speak for the sheer complexity of the game will be higher than other more casual board-gamers... if you are an RPG geek by the way (I'm referring to old fashioned D&D style RPG's not video game RPG's here btw , the latter of which is arguably much easier to understand/play) I can't recommend this game enough you'll have a blast with it !

Otherwise.. you're taking a risk buying this game. You'll have one of two reactions... you'll either love it due to the sheer complexity and intricacy involved with the game ... or you'll hate it for the same reasons ("This game is just too hard/complicated/impossible to understand!")... I would argue that if you leave it to the kids to play by themselves they would have to be at LEAST 16 years of age or thereabouts in order to have a chance of grasping the concepts behind the game and even then it may take more than one read-through going through the rulebooks as it did for me..

At the time that I write this review I notice that there is a utube tutorial for the game done by uploaders calling themselves " two guys and some cardboard" titled " betrayal at house on the hill tutorial " that to me is a great walk-through and absolutely required viewing for newbies to this game.. or you could try " let's play betrayal at house on the hill" on utube by " thenerdnight" ("thenerdnight" videos to me do a better job of showing the game "in-play" and what it would look like if you were playing with but they swear quite a bit so don't watch it if kids are present :P ... "two guys and some cardboard" to me do a better job of explaining the game itself however - watch both ;) ) ... failing that if both sets of videos are defunct for some reason by the time you read this review, I'm sure there will be SOME sort of tutorial on the game if you do a search for it on utube.. this leads to significant "DOH " and smacking myself on the head on my part I should have looked through the videos myself to begin with before playing this...

I had a blast playing this game and adults with enough patience will too particularly if the owner/purchaser of the game runs through the videos and knows how to play it prior to busting the game out to play... Note that the LAST thing you want to do after punching all the various counters and cards out is to just jumble them all back into the box - it will be a NIGHTMARE (and not the fun sort of nightmare the game tries to promote) sorting it all out again afterwards.. I separated them into various zip-log bags ("room tokens" should go into it's own bag which you should label as such for example - I just wrote down "room tokens" on a piece of paper and taped it to the bag.. very surprised that the makers of the game didn't include some cheap pre-labelled bags for this purpose)...

The game also takes a long while to play which for me makes the game all the more fun.... younger players may or may not have the patience for a long game and may find themselves frustrated with the complexity of the game unless an adult is present to act as "referee", running the game for the younger players and walking them through what happens next based on the players' decisions... My munchkins were eight and ten years old when I played it with them and both of them enjoyed it with me playing the "referee" role ... when neighborhood kids came over they enjoyed playing the game with my kids as well... I can pretty much guarantee in my pre-parent days when I had the time to get together on a routine basis with my fellow RPG geeks we would have LOVED this game.

As well you should check the wikipedia entry for this game.. note the links on the bottom of the web page that direct you to "errata" ,clarifications of the rules that weren't mentioned in the original rulebooks that came with the game.. this is worth reading, I would even go so far as to print them out and just leave the printouts in the box with the game.. I would include the links to the websites here directly but not sure if the amazon review-bots will let me do that.

I realize given the retail price of the game you're taking a big gamble on this compared to other board games that are half it's price... it is worth noting that back in the year 2004 when the game came out it won "gamer's choice award for best game" ... as well utube is your friend here - I'm sure if you search utube some commentator can show you the game in action perhaps under the search terms " review betrayal at house on the hill" to help you decide if it's worth the purchase price or not, such as the "betrayal at house on the hill w/jimmy wong" videos uploaded by "teamhypercube" and the above mentioned "thenerdnight" videos.... for me it definitely was worth the money spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than I expected, January 21, 2013
This review is from: Betrayal At House On The Hill - 2nd Edition (Toy)
I read plenty of reviews before purchasing this game, and I've got to say that (so far) it really exceeds my expectations. Many reviews complain about the quality of the pieces. The issues with "flimsy cardboard falling apart" I simply haven't encountered. Yes I could quibble about the little clips not sticking properly to the character tiles...but that could at worst move my rating to a 4.75, and it is my only real complaint.

This game is genuinely creepy. Gamplay is fun and I like not knowing what haunt scenario will come up. I must confess I've only played it about 10 times so far, but every haunt has been different. For a while, I was concerned that the haunts seemed to be unbeatable (i.e., biased against the players)...but even that didn't bother me too much, since it was even fun to lose. But at this point, the players have won 2 or 3 times, and come closer than we thought another couple times, so I really don't have issues with the game balance.

If I had a complaint about gameplay, it would be that when the haunt starts, play has to grind to a halt so everyone can learn what is often nearly a completely new game. This is worse for some haunts than for others...and it's also usually kinda fun...it just can be distracting. There are also some ambiguities in the haunt rule text that can cause conflict, if players can't be reasonable with one another...but we mostly play with reasonable people who can interpret rules in a balanced way.

So if you're an experienced and mature game player, who enjoys cheesy horror films, and who isn't too fussy about the plastic clips, I strongly recommend this game!

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the only board games I own, August 14, 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Betrayal At House On The Hill - 2nd Edition (Toy)
I was introduced to this game by a friend at a party who had the first edition some years ago and enjoyed it immensely. It helped that we played it very late at night and insisted on reading all the flavor text aloud in hushed voices (and were a tad inebriated). It also helped that we pulled a relatively spooky and balanced scenario, which leads to my major complaint about Betrayal: The experience is... variable.

There are quite a few different scenarios to stumble into in Betrayal, and the effort and planning that goes into implementing that sort of thing is laudable, but the sheer bulk of scenarios just means that that many different objectives needed to be playtested and balanced, which it doesn't feel like they did to the extent needed. Some of the scenarios feel too heavily weighted in the players' favor, and occasionally some of the scenarios cause the traitor to become unbeatable from the get go. Much of it is based on how quickly the Haunting begins; we've found that the more of the house you've uncovered before the Haunting, the more items you have (hopefully) evenly distributed between players, the harder a time the traitor has when s/he's revealed, but this isn't always the case. Often the imbalance in either the players or the traitor being overpowered causes one or both of the parties involved to not have very much fun. (Note that I've always only played this game with six players; it may be that it's more balanced with less people.) I still enjoy it greatly most of the time, but I have found it becomes increasingly more difficult to convince people who've played it before to play again, and it takes quite a bit of explaining to new players.

It should also be noted that the copy sold here is a second printing. Having originally played the first edition rather extensively, I jumped on buying this once they started reprinting it, and I'm not disappointed. However this new edition does have a couple of flaws not found in the original. The minor one is that the player figurines (particularly Zostra/Vivian and Jenny/Heather) feel really fragile around the legs. The Zostra/Vivian that shipped with my copy was even bent into a permanent leaning position out of the box. The other more major flaw is that the tabs that clip onto the character stat coasters in order to indicate how much knowledge or might you have currently are *unbearably* loose. They fall off all the time in the middle of of the game and then you have no idea how much speed you had, which is terrible because if you run out of any of the stats you DIE, so it's crucial that those tiny tabs stay in place.

Despite its shortcomings, I still enjoy Betrayal At House On the Hill greatly, and recommend it to anyone looking for a board game with spooky-to-cheesy flavor and excellent replay value, with the caveat that each replay will turn out quite different from the last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spooky Fun, April 9, 2012
This review is from: Betrayal At House On The Hill - 2nd Edition (Toy)
This is a fun easy to play game for a family or friends. The premise is the players take the part of a group exploring a haunted house. It starts out cooperative with players working together. Each move adds new rooms to the house so the game board is never the same twice. Additionally the first player to enter a room may have to draw cards from one of three decks. They are "Events" strange and spooky things that happen, "Artifacts" interesting things that might help, and "Omens" items that might be supernatural help or doom for the explorers. Each "Omen" card increases the chances that "The Haunt" will begin. "The Haunt" varies depending on which "Omen" was discovered in which room. At the start of "the Haunt" the game becomes competitive as one player takes the role of "traitor" and tries to thwart or destroy the other explorers. With fifty possible "Haunts" the game has great replay value and even repeated "Haunts" play out differently as the map changes.
If this game lacks anything it's expansion packs. More rooms, cards and haunts could be sold separately permitting an even more varied game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game..., August 8, 2011
This review is from: Betrayal At House On The Hill - 2nd Edition (Toy)
The great thing about this game is the replay value... There are 50 different scenarios, and the house looks different each game, so it's hard to know quite what to expect. Best with 5-6 players.

ARRAY(0xa9674dc8)