5.0 out of 5 stars Really Impressive

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Sequel
Published on June 3, 2008 by Tamela Mccann

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Impressive, October 11, 2007
This review is from: Betrayed (House of Night, Book 2) (Paperback)
Zoey Redbird is the most powerful vampyre fledgling the House of Night has ever seen. In fact, as far as anyone knows Zoey is the most powerful fledgling in vampyre history. She has been touched by Nyx(The Goddess of Night.) It's clear by Zoey's accelerated rate of change and ever growing abilities that she is meant for somthing profound. But for all that Z still has to go through all the growing pains that come with being a teenager. She's got boys coming out of the would work. There's her almost ex boyfriend Heath, who she's imprinted with
and who's blood she craves, Zoey's Vampyre Superman, upper classman Eric Night(yep that's really his name.) And to help complicate matters, Zoey seems to be conecting on a very personal level with part time tacher and poet Loren Blake who is as amazing as he is forbidden. Whats a girl to do?

Zoey has taken over leadership of the Dark Daughters and Sons, and is determined to change the school oganization from an elitist clique to a group with meaning, value and substance. she is getting comfortable in her skin and things are getting easier to deal with. But Zoey's strength is about to be tested again. In new and truly terrible ways. She must learn to cope with a soul deep sadness, deal with a betrayal that cuts to the bone, and keep a promise that may turn out to be impossible.

Any doubts I had about this series were erased with this book. This for me is one of those reads that make you grumble at being interupted and reevaluate the need for sleep and food, then grumble some more cause the wait till the next book(in this case Choosen in March '08) is intirely to long.

You should know that unlike most of P C's books this is not a stand alone story. You don't abosolutely have to read Marked first to understand Betrayed But it really helps and I recommend it highly. If you read Marked and weren't thrilled with it, please reconsider and read Betrayed. It really is that good!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Sequel, June 3, 2008
This review is from: Betrayed (House of Night, Book 2) (Paperback)
Betrayed, the second book in the House of Night series, picks up where Marked left off--Zoey, newly Marked as a vampyre fledgling, must take up her new duties as Leader of the Dark Daughters. Along with her good friends Stevie Rae, Erin, Shaunee, and Damien, Zoey wants to find a new direction for the group after the ouster of nemesis Aphrodite. Amid all the stress of drama of perfecting a circle casting, Zoey's love life is also in turmoil. She finds herself attracted to not just two boys, but also a very sexy young professor who seems to be attracted to her as well. What will Zoey do about obsessed ex-boyfriend Heath, whose friends are disappearing at an alarming rate? And what about the fledgling vampyre Erik, who is everything Zoey should want? Betrayed is indeed quite dark in tone, and the story takes a tragic turn just when Zoey should be celebrating.

After a bit of a slow start, Betrayed picks up nicely around fifty pages in or so. The storyline takes place over just a few days, and it is action-packed. Zoey's grief and shock are well written, and her boyfriend dilemma is believable as long as it's between Heath and Erik. But Betrayed is not without fault. The idea of a professor, even a young one, flirting shamelessly with a sixteen year old is just icky. The "Twins" are so superfluous that I feel they are forced into scenes. And if teens actually continuously used language the way these teens do, I'd be very, very surprised. Not over the cursing itself, but just the general conversation seems so stilted.

While I did enjoy Betrayed more than I initially thought I would, it could do with a bit of housecleaning to rid itself of too much coincidence and too little realistic interaction among the teens. I also think that much of the "vampyre" rituals seem to be more "witch-like" than they should be. But in general I did enjoy the story and I still like the whole idea of The House of Night and creepy undead creatures and people who aren't what they seem to be. I'd love to give this one 3.5 stars for general entertainment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Betrayed is Right!, January 24, 2009
This review is from: Betrayed (House of Night, Book 2) (Paperback)
Maybe once upon a time I wouldn't be as picky about this book, but this was a disappointment compared to the first. The little things that bothered me in the first book magnified and expanded in this one. The 'Aww, shucks. Little ol' me?' routine and attitude of Zoey is wearing, to say the least. C'mon, give her some flaws or something, nobody is perfect and the false modesty is cloying.

Now the bane of the book (and series thus far)... the 'Twins.' Ugh, need I go on? The authors repeatedly bash the reader over the head with how alike they are but how different they look and how they grew up. Almost every sentence they utter contains the word twin. Such as, 'Twin, I get what you're saying.' 'Twin' this, 'twin' that! WTF? No one speaks like that. Which brings up a whole different issue with the unrealistic dialogue, but I won't get into that. I think the 'Twins' are supposed to add comedic value, but they don't, they're just annoying and I wish they'd die in the vampire transition (horrible of me I know). They're one-dimensional, don't have any depth, and are pointless to the story except for being part of the elements, which they can be replaced I'm sure. We get that they're twins, but not, we get it! We don't have to be hit over the head time and again!!

Now for the basic plot. Not as interesting as the last, but okay. Hated what happened nearer the end and I don't really get why it was done. I could have offered two other alternatives. ;P The three love interests? Overkill to the nth degree. Are we supposed to like Zoey, or hate her? I think it'll be a while until I pick up the next book, if I even do that, but I do wonder what'll happen to you-know-who. (Don't want to give anything away for those who want to read it.)

3.0 out of 5 stars The House of Night Meets Beverly Hills 90210, October 12, 2009
Right from the first chapter this book was noticeably more teen-like and critical of organized religion. Some may argue that the characters are teens, and therefore should talk like teens. I, however, found it a bit off-putting. It was almost like the authors were trying too hard to be "cool" or tap into that teen audience. I don't remember the first book being that way at all. An example; He was also incredibly talented. Someday soon he was going to join the ranks of other vamp movie stars like Matthew McConaughey, James Franco, Jake Gyllenhal, and Hugh Jackman (who is totally hot for an old guy). ~cringe~ Yikes. He was born in 1968. At 10 years older than me, I still wouldn't refer to him as an `old guy'!! Probably not the best example of it, but one that made me laugh out loud. Also there is a lot of unnecessary use of `hell' and `damn'. They were thrown in to places where it wasn't necessary.

Zoey's step-father is a member of the People of Faith, which is an over-exaggerated religious group. I know there are religious extremes that are like this, but the People of Faith are made out to be hypocritical, judgemental, close-minded, patriarchal (with women playing subservient roles), and all-around not-so-nice people. I do have to say, this book is set in a made-up world where vampyres (yes with a y not an i...one of these days I will have to look up what the difference is) live amongst people and the people are aware that vampires are there. The People of Faith is apparently the only major religion around. I thinkthe idea is that religion has gone affray in the world of Zoey Redbird, but then again there is a boarding school for vampires that everyone knows about!

One last thing. I mentioned in this review and in my review of Marked, that I find it odd to have the setting be a modern-day version of our world, only where vampyres have always existed. I didn't mention before that of all the places in the world, this one has Tulsa, Oklahoma as the vampire hub of the US. I guess if I'm thinking vampire I think of New York, San Francisco, New Orleans...not Tulsa. I've been there. Not exactly the setting I would choose for a vampire novel, but I suppose P.C and Kristin Cast had a different vision.

I think that is all of the negative stuff out of the way...on to the positive! I still love the Native American twist on the vampire story. I also detected almost an Egyptian feel to some of it. The way that cats are treated as sacred, the methods of worship, and the ancient runes all had an Egyptian feel to me. I may be wrong, just my interpretation.

Zoey is a very likable character. So is her best-friend Stevie Rae. The other members of Zoey's clique started to annoy me. Mostly because they were the ones stuck with the "teeny-like" lines that I mentioned above. i.e. ...Erin said. "My `rentals sent me an e-mail. They aren't coming 'cause of some Thanksgiving cruise they decided to take to Alaska with my Aunt Alane and Uncle Liar Lloyd. Whatever." Just mildly annoying reading someones dialogue when it is like that for most of the book.

Overall the book was readable, despite it's flaws. There was a part of the book that brought a tear to my eye! Still left in the series are; Chosen, Untamed, Hunted, and the soon to be released (10*29*09) Tempted. I will read at least the next book in the series to see how the writing progresses. I'm curious to see.

Please come and visit me at my blog, Between the Lines, at [...]. I'd love to hear from you!

1.0 out of 5 stars How Can You Stand Her?, December 30, 2007
This review is from: Betrayed (House of Night, Book 2) (Paperback)
It was very difficult for me to finish this book. I had to keep putting it down and do something else before I could muster the courage to pick it up again. This book, put simply, is a train wreck--horrible, but you can't stop looking.

The first book wasn't half bad, if you could look past the flat, uninteresting characters, bad narrative, and terrible grammar. (Isn't PC Cast a professor? I can only pray not for English.) The first book had new, innovative ideas for the teen-vampire genre.

This book was awful.

Zoey's perfect perfectness is disgusting. She has virtually no flaws. Any minor flaw she might have doesn't even matter, like the fact she's not as good as Damien in fencing. She's unique and hates it. She's modest, but it's not even to a fault. It's just revolting to imagine someone like this exists.

In fact, Zoey is pretty much what every girl wishes to be. She's perfect, has one mean villain, wonderful, loyal friends, and three studly guys lusting after her. (Don't even get me started on that. As soon as Loren came into the picture, I nearly dropped the book like hot iron.)

Her friends lack personality. There is a portion in the book wherein Zoey names their virtues, but we never see much of them.

And the authors are very obviously emoting in their books. Their clear disdain for any sort of Christian-based religion oozes out of the first chapter (I'm not even religious, but the sheer disdain and self-righteousness made me feel queasy). Every female who hates Zoey is a "ho". And, of course, Zoey and Aphrodite both had such terrible upbringings.

Truth be told, despite Aphrodite's trite childhood, she was the only vaguely interesting character. She did more showing than telling, and when she did it was pretty much the only time these authors abide that rule. Flat statements of how the narrator hates homophobes and believes more "white men should date women of color" to "expand their horizons." Seriously, SHOW these things, don't give the reader a lecture.

If you appreciate vampires, good writing, and interesting characters... DO NOT pick this book. I can't stomach any more of Zoey, and buying the third book when they decide to unleash it on the world is a definite NO from this avid teen-vampire reader.

1.0 out of 5 stars Where the heck are the editors?, December 28, 2007
Jessica Price (Wauwatosa, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Betrayed (House of Night, Book 2) (Paperback)
Had I not been required to read and review this book, I might not have read past the second or third chapter. I had a hard time believing how bad it was, however, and kept thinking it would get better.

The authors start out with a great concept: a vampire finishing school. However, they seem utterly unable to evoke any sort of sense of place, and scenes that take place within the school are largely indistinguishable from those that take place outside it. The idea of a vampire finishing school lends itself to some sort of dark humor, but alas, any humor whatsoever is absent entirely from the clumsy and self-serious narration.

The narrator is not particularly believable as a teenager, and the authors abuse the first-person narrative by violating the best-known precept of good writing: show us, don't tell us. They never bother to show what they can have the narrator tell us, laboriously and without grace. Oh, and with as many adjectives as possible. (Where were the editors? It didn't have to be this bad.) It's hard to understand why everyone likes the main character, as she's about as prone to repeating herself, using exactly the same phrases, as the stereotypical elderly lady you can't get away from. Oh, old Zoey's on again about how she's the only fledgling to have power over all the elements and to have a filled-in tattoo! Smile and nod, folks, smile and nod.

Finally, the plot itself has little sense of momentum. Most of the events, rather than seeming to arise organically out of what has come before, seem manufactured to get the narrator where she needs to go.

There is the start of some decent character development in Aphrodite and Neferet, but not enough to make me read anything else in this series. What a pity such a great concept was so thoroughly wasted.

For vampire stories with actual wit and good writing, I'd suggest Tanya Huff's Blood series instead, Kim Harrison's Hollows series, or Stephanie Meyers' books. You can get your vampire fix without having to endure this sort of bad writing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Still Trite, March 22, 2010
Ishtar (Pokemon-land) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Betrayed (House of Night, Book 2) (Paperback)
My review for book 1: This wasn't one of the worst books I have ever read, but it still was one the dumbest books I have ever read. The characters are superficial and cliched, the plot predictable and silly, and the narration is whiny and irritating. The main character and her friends are sterotypes. The writing is very childish and reads like a wet dream.

And it still does read like that for the 2nd book as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Full of Errors, November 11, 2009
Tigerflower (Washington State) - See all my reviews
This book had so many grammatical errors, mis-used words and inconsistancies I actually e-mailed the publisher to complain, something I've never done before. I can think of no excuse for an English teacher and Journalism major to be putting out a product for young adult readers with obvious mistakes such as incorrect verb tenses.

The main character and her female friends repeatedly make fun of their gay male friend for using words longer than two sylables and define these words for the reader. Come on, if they're old enough to be reading this book give the readers a little credit for having a vocabulary somewhat appropriate to their age group!

Add to the mix overtones of pedophilia with an adult teacher romantically stalking the heroine, a morally smug protagonist referring to her enemies as "ho" while she herself interacts with every interesting male in the book, constant use of the word "poo" and it's really hard to recommend this other than as a beach read for bored adults. If you can pick it up cheap at Costco it might be a satisfying light read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Premise, Dreadful Protagonist--Spoilers, February 5, 2010
Throughout this book my one consistent thought was that this could be a phenomenal series with some major edits. There are a lot of reasons for this and many of these reasons are expressed in my review of Marked. I happen to like Betrayed better than Marked. And I think I'll ramble on a bit about what I liked and didn't like in the hopes of reaching some conclusion.

The concept of the book is wonderful. I wasn't exactly impressed when I read 'vampire finishing school' for the first time but the Casts have really put a wonderful spin on vampires. And though I do like my traditional folklore, I do appreciate a good spin. And there's plenty to keep the reader interested and entertained. I know I certainly enjoyed the bomb threat scene.

But sometimes the characters just make me want to hit myself with the book a couple of times. A few are still loaded with potential--I happen to like Aphrodite and Stevie Rae best for exactly this reason. And if their potential remains unharnessed in books to come I'll have lost all sense of why I even bother reading. Characters are important to me and these are the only two characters that have carried these first two books. I also think that given a little work Damien might deserve his time in the spotlight as well. And Neferet...well, I'll have to see where the Casts go with Neferet before I really pass judgement.

Who isn't displaying this promise for blossoming? Zoey and the Twins. And Erik isn't really doing much for me either. Shaunee and Erin--the 'Twins'--are just...annoying. I mentioned in my review of Marked that it would not be cute for Shaunee and Erin to be developed as a single person because they're so much alike. Unfortunately, this seems to be where their characters are going. And their constant use of "Twin this" and "Twin that" is profoundly irritating. The concept of two completely different people being so alike is interesting--but it shouldn't be the only concept that you work with!

And I just can't get over how little growth Zoey shows despite the fact that she is the main character. And you want to know why she doesn't show growth? Because she is already unnaturally perfect. She has more gifts than you can count on one hand. She has three boyfriends. (I'm sorry, a boyfriend, an ex-boyfriend that she still wants to be with, and a teacher she openly flirts with.) And she is moral and honorable and says words like "poopie".

Speaking of Zoey, seeing things from her point of view really brings down the quality of the books' writing. She sounds like she's trying to hard to come across as a normal teenager and not doing too well at it. I mentioned the annoying amplifiers she uses in my previous review--totally, seriously, definitely, completely, etc.--and no, that still hasn't stopped. And what's worse is the little parenthetical interjections that Zoey always has to add in. My favorite in this one occurred while she was Googling prestigious high schools. She came across one called Mrs. Porters and couldn't resist adding: "Really--hee hee--that's the school's name." Sorry Zoey, I'm not seeing the humor.

As far as the story goes, the book is lively and interesting. I was only bothered by a few things within the story itself. The one thing that springs to mind is the random inane chatter between Zoey and Heath while she's facing off about a dozen members of the undead to rescue him. It was very throwing since most people with common sense would know that such a scene would not be the time or place.

As for the vampires themselves, I love the Paganistic rituals and customs and think that they add flavor to the story. Earth, water, fire, air, and spirit? I love it and can't wait to read more of it. But the one thing that bothers me: can we please stop with the unwarranted prejudice? The scene where Zoey's parents visited in the beginning was the only other scene I can think of that threw me from the story. It really just came off as way to make the Christian character seem like an ass. One of the themes in the book is acceptance of others but why can't the Casts extend this ideal to every denomination of people?

I'm really hoping for this series to be great. I want the stars to keep building with each book. But I don't see that happening unless a few changes are made.

(Oh, and I have to give due to the cover designer. These books are beautiful.)

3.0 out of 5 stars It was alright..., November 23, 2007
This review is from: Betrayed (House of Night, Book 2) (Paperback)
I have to say, I was a real fan of Marked, the first novel in the House of Night series. Like most sequels, however, Betrayed can't compete. The plot seemed rather random, especially with the "cliff-hanger" ending; the romance, while well written, seemed there just for the sake of "spicing up" a not-so-developed story.

Still, I can't complain about the romance. Loren was a great character, and I liked how Cast tried to make Zoey get in touch with her adult side when she was around him.

The religion bashing was harsher this time, and definitely not subtle. Although every religion has its negatives - and yes, often they are awful - most books show an understanding of the fact that religion itself is not bad, but the people who twist it. The Casts came off as just wanting to rant at non-Pagan religions, without actually understanding them or their background. Did the parents come to visit for any other purpose?

More (graphic?) sexual (not always romance) scenes. Take that as a negative or positive as you will.

Still, Betrayed is written with its great humor still there, and Aphrodite is finally fleshed out, making her one of the characters to empathize with the most.

A second book in any series usually is just a connecter, which I felt that Betrayed was. I'm still looking forward to Chosen, the next book in the series, though.

Betrayed (House of Night, Book 2)
Betrayed (House of Night, Book 2) by P. C. Cast (Paperback - October 2, 2007)
$9.99