Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Betsy's Wedding [Blu-ray]
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on November 24, 2004
Alan Alda, Ally Sheedy, Molly Ringwold, Joe Pesci and the late Madeline Kahn star in this funny wedding movie. Everyone knows Alda as a funny man who has been turning in some more serious performances latley but who knew Joe Pesci could be funny? Naturally, there is trouble over putting Eddie Hopper's (Alda) daughter's (Ringwold) wedding together.

Hopper's family is comfortable but not rich but the other family is rolling in dough and wants to take over the wedding. Oscar Henner (Pesci) is in construction but has ties to organized crime. Oscar is having an affair with his secretary but his wife (Catherine O'Hara) knows all about it. Hopper's other daughter (Sheedy) falls for the nephew (Anthony LaPaglia as Stevie Dee) of Oscar's not so honest associate (Burt Young). She's a cop and he's connected to the mob. Eddie borrows money from Oscar to pay for the wedding but Oscar charges him interest. Oscar involves Eddie in a deal with his associate but to get out of the deal might get him killed. Oscar offers to find a tent for the wedding but cuts a deal with someone and gets the wrong kind of tent. By the way, Oscar rents an apartment to the newlyweds in one of his tenament slum buildings!

The wedding turns out to be a disaster of course. The tent leaks and then a hole is opened in the roof of the tent and the rain pours in. The food gets ruined and Eddie has to send out for pizza and everyone has to take their shoes off because the tent gets flooded.

By the way, look for Samuel Jackson (unknown then) in a very small bit part in the taxi depot scene.

It's lots of fun. No nudity, sex, violence. There is some foul language. I suggest a viewing of of at least 13.
on February 4, 2013
Straightforward plot with intertest created by great characters and the actors who play them. This is a fun movie about family. Whenever a friend tells me they are considering a tent for a wedding I refer them to this movie. It has Molly Ringwald as a young woman about to be married but still with the unique style her character had in Pretty in Pink. Anthony La Paglia has a really great character with quotable dialogue. I only buy movies I know I'll want to see again and that don' t ever appear on TV for some reason and I know I'll be enjoying this again in my future.
on August 5, 2015
This movie was surprisingly funny and timeless. The family members are lovable and the situations are realistic!! This movie hasn't aged yet. I ordered this movie just to make a minimum to get same day shipping and thought I would give it a try just because it was Molly Ringwald and the plot seemed interesting. Glad I watched it! The acting was top notch, nothing cheap. The plot was well done and the scenes were smooth and just right. A good comedy story to watch whether alone or with others.
on June 4, 2006
Loved it, and have for a long time. For some reason most people either haven't watched it, or didn't get it. Obviously from the reviews here you can see I am not alone in my rating. Joe Pesci is HILARIOUS, and the movie is filled with other great characters and funny moments. Just keeps you interested with witty dialogue and universal life experiences. Like 29TH STREET this is another underrated movie, which should after watching it cacth your attention if you like romantic comedies, like WHEN HARRY MET SALLY etc. Enjoy...
on March 11, 2005
I did not expect much from this movie, perhaps because I had just finished watching 20 Dates, one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Betsy's Wedding was a delight, very sweet, and incredibly funny. I have seen movies about wedding disasters before, but this one had me laughing until it hurt. Alan Alda and Madeline Kahn were outstanding as Betsy's parents.
on April 10, 2013
I saw this movie in the movie theater years ago and it was very funny. I have not viewed this DVD yet because I'm waiting for my daughters to come visit a nd we can watch it together. They have never seen it and I'm sure they will enjoy it.
on October 26, 2014
Saw it 'years ago' in the theater. The big surprise was the surround sound effect, at the end of the movie.
I remember everyone in the theater, who probably weren't familiar with "surround sound", as I was, "turning around to look behind them, at the end of the movie's "wedding scene" !!!
on April 9, 2014
I wanted to get a cheap movie to test out my new Blu-ray player...
This movie not only fit the bill, but turned out to be a nice movie as well.
I would recommend this to anyone just looking for a basic fluff movie to kill some time. :)
on September 7, 2012
I was very pleased when I saw a Blu-Ray of this movie available at such an excellent price. "Betsy's Wedding" was one of my family's favorite "minor" movies when my kids were growing up, but as such I was not willing to pay serious money to replace our VHS (yes, VHS) copy. Being able to make the replacement for a very reasonable price (and on Blu-ray, to boot) was a real delight. I have no doubt that we'll put this on and enjoy it all over again when the family gathers for the holidays. Thanks, Amazon!
on December 19, 2011
Betsy's Wedding (1990) is a family-entertainment movie, that
comes close to a TV-style picture, from suger-coating each and
every scene, from start to finish, a bit much, over 90 minutes or
more. This is picture to see, mainly for completists in the genre
of mob pictures who particularly enjoy comedy combined in it,
seeing that Joe Pesci reaches deep inside himself to deliver a
credible, no-nonsense character. also known as the straight-man,
juxtaposed with Alan Alda, who plays the more comedic, mature,
responsible, dreamer and friendly kind of guy, incredibly. For
those who pull a blank seeing Anthony LaPaglia, yes, the actor
is the brother of Jonathan LaPaglia who delivered a wonderful
performance in "UNDER HELLGATE BRIDGE " some years ago.

The strong points of this picture, is the romantic comedy aspect,
as its lays out what parents and youths have to deal with, when
different cultures combine in a marriage, involving in the
process, economic, and class differences, as well. A nice,
wholesome film, most would suggest. For fans of Joe Pesci, just
seeing the actor being a straight, no-nonsense dude is worth the
price of admission, as compared to other works that are slapstick
style, of course.