Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7-Inch, Wi-Fi) 2012 Model
Used & New from: $80.00
What is Better, Galaxy Tab Plus or Galaxy Tab 2? I don't know if I should get the Galaxy Tab Plus or Galaxy Tab 2. They are the same price and Plus has Dual Core. I know the operating system is newer on 2 but does that make it that much better? Thanks for any suggestions.
asked by R. Durrance on May 17, 2012
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 answers
A
votes
If they are the same price, the Plus would be the better buy. It has slightly higher specs (cameras, processor, etc.) It will be upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4) at some point which makes the OS question moot. I'm curious as to where you are finding them priced the same, though, because all I see is the Plus is about $100-$200 more expensive than the Tab 2 depending on configuration.

FWIW, the Tab 2 has dual core as well, just a lower speed (1Ghz vs. 1.2)
D. Maxwell answered on May 17, 2012

A
votes
The Galaxy Plus is a more powerful tablet when it comes to CPU speed/specifications with a 1.2ghz exynos to the tab 2's OMAP4430 at 1.008ghz. However, because the galaxy tab 2 is running Android 4.0 ICS whereas the Plus is stuck on the sluggish 3.2 Honeycomb, the overall user experience and speed should be comparable.

Likewise, the graphics processors, Mali-400 in the Plus and SGX540 in the Tab 2, are comparable when it comes to gaming performance (There is evidence to support both sides).

The Galaxy tab plus has a better camera if that matters to you. (Do people really take pictures with their tablets???)

However, one area where the Galaxy Tab 2 crushes the Plus is in audio quality. The audio chip in the Tab 2 is the superb Wolfsen 1811, the same chip found in the top-tier Galaxy S3. The Tab 7 Plus has a sub-par Yamaha chip that is vastly inferior to the Wolfsen chip.

Additionally, even the screens use the same technology and run at the same resolution, the panel is newer and updated, and reviews claim that the tab 2's screen is brighter and easier to read in sunlight. If you plan on listening to music or watching netflix or movies etc, the Galaxy Tab 2 will be vastly superior with its better screen and audio quality.

Basically, until the Galaxy Tab 7 Plus receives an update to 4.0 ICS (if it even ever does, who knows?), the Galaxy Tab 2 is actually, IMO, the better tablet in addition to being cheaper.
BryanUD answered on June 3, 2012

A
votes
Galaxy tab2 is a good budget tablet probably one of the best ones out there for it's price range. I bought mine for 179.00 I think it works much better than some others I tried. I am pleased with the quality
Of the device. It's quick and resolution is the same but tab plus has better specs. For a higher price.
Amazon Customer answered on December 5, 2012

A
votes
it's a toss up between the two. the tab 2 lacks the flash and has slightly worse camras but preformace wise there almost identical.
kc0nlh answered on October 15, 2012

A
votes
The tab 2 is now offered everywhere for $199.00, Amazon, Best Buy, Staples etc. Great price from the previous. $50.00 less. Mine is being shipped as I write this...Can't wait. First tablet for me. Great reviews. I ordered mine through Amazon becuase of their great return policy if you have a problem.
Amazon Customer answered on February 4, 2013

A
vote
Just bought the Tab 2 for $149.00 refurbished from Walmart. Need it as a Universal Remote with the IR Blaster.
Steven Hughes answered on January 9, 2013

A
votes
Hi, how many time have of warranty on product?
Martin answered on July 26, 2013

A
votes
Walmart online for $249 for the 7" galaxy plus! (refurbished)
joe axford answered on May 28, 2012

A
votes
which one?
carolbob answered on May 25, 2012

A
votes
Actually, a large national retailer has the Plus on clearance at some of their stores for the same price as the Tab 2 7.0. Saw it today in NH.
Kirkstone answered on May 24, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›