5.0 out of 5 stars Cookie Heaven, June 23, 2001
This review is from: Better Homes and Gardens Homemade Cookies (Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen) (Hardcover)
My grandmother always made cookies and kept some on hand for every time we came to visit. At Christmas time she would make tins full of different types of cookies. The variety seemed endless. This was one of my favorite books in her cookbook collection.
All kinds of cookies have made their way into this book. Drop, Bar, sliced, shaped, cutout and no-fuss cookies are all invited into cookie heaven.
One reason I especially like this book is that they have a special section called: "Helpful Cookie Hints." It helps you keep your home-baked cookies fresh and they give the ABC's of cookie storing, sending and gift giving.
Banana Nut Cookies, Pumpkin Cookies, Coconut Macaroons, cake brownies, Double Almond Cookies and the more traditional shortbread recipes look divine. There is a cherry variation for the shortbread recipe.
I have also been looking for a good recipe for molded cookies. You often find the molds, but there is no recipe with many of them. The recipe for "whole wheat critters" is a cookie made with whole wheat flour and is quite good.
As a child, my mother helped us make "sugar bells." I wish she had let us make the "cookie pops" those are adorable. I think some of these recipes might be in the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook because I remember making some of the as a child.
This cookbook was originally $... so it has kept its value since 1990. The cover is tan with cookies almost falling off the cover. There are so many of them! The pinwheels and chocolate cookies with mint filling look especially tempting.
~TheRebeccaReview.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tasting recipes and easy to make, January 25, 2001
Judy Brandt (Whittemore, Michigan USA) - See all my reviews
I originally got this book from the public library. After making many of the great cookie recipes and copying several others (because the book was due back), I decided I needed to have my own copy of the book. I have taken several of the bar cookies to potlucks and have been asked by others for the recipes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good-tasting cookies; instructions sometimes odd, December 22, 2008
This is mostly a review of a single recipe: "Basic Sugar Cutouts" on page 56. It's a basic, tasty sugar cookie recipe, and is the recipe my family enjoys the most from this book.

The list of ingredients is fine, and is presented in a normal way. However, the dough mixing instructions for me do not produce a good dough. For decades I've used the method I learned at home and in my junior high school cooking class: first mix the shortening and the sugar, then add the rest of the 'wet' ingredients, then add the flour and the other 'dry' ingredients. Their method combines everything except the shortening, then adds that mix, half at a time, to the beaten shortening. The one time I tried their mixing method, I ended up with dough that was lumpy, not well mixed, and difficult to repair. Using the old mixing method on their ingredient list produced a much nicer dough.

The cookies themselves, though, are quite good. This is one of my favorite cookie baking books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Condition, February 14, 2014
I bought this for my brother because my sister and him both wanted the book my mother baked cookies from in 1986. I was shocked to find it and for the price I could not pass. It arrived sooner than expected and in wonderful condition. The pages were slightly ivory versus white, but for a 20 plus year cookbook... I was amazed. I would definitely buy from this seller again.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite holiday cookbook, December 20, 2013
I received this book as a Christmas gift back in college. I don't think I've ever had a season of making Christmas cookies when this book wasn't brought out. The first time I remember using it was when my niece, now 26, was about 3-4 years old & we made the Easy Candy Canes version of the Basic Holiday Cookies (pg 69). I think she had green hands for days. I just broke it out yesterday for my 2 year old's first cookie baking experience for sugar cookies & I currently have a batch of peanut butter criscrosses in the oven - next to the brownies, this is probably my most used recipe. LOVE this book & hope to make lots of memories with my son & to see his smile whenever he sees this book come off the shelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook!, January 12, 2013
This cookbook was a gift back in 1994, but was lost somewhere along the way. So, I was thrilled to find it here on Amazon. My personal favorite is the Brown Sugar Slices. They are like brown sugar cookies... This book is filled with yummy, easy to understand sweet recipes!

Better Homes and Gardens Homemade Cookies (Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen)
Used & New from: $0.01