5.0 out of 5 stars my fave canning book now
Published on May 27, 2012 by bunnybutt

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good and bad recipes
There are some good recipes in here but there are some that are unsafe like the maple vadalia onion conserve. It has butter and oil in it which is a canning no no. I did enjoy the pear rosemary preserves and my husband liked the pomegrante jelly.
Published 13 months ago by Amanda

5.0 out of 5 stars my fave canning book now, May 27, 2012
I've recently started canning, and have been going mad canning everything from jams to fermented dills and beef stews. This book is a water bath method book, and it has modern and lovely recipes that are fancy but not at all fussy (balsamic cherry tomato caramalized onion conserve, rosemary lime honeydew jam, rhubarb and rose petal jam). The pictures are incredible, as you would expect from a large, professional publication company like Better Homes and Gardens, and fill every page with popping shots of food you wat to eat immediately! I have about 10 canning books published in the past year or two including most from the top of Amazon's best seller lists, and this one is my new favorite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some really great new tastes in this book, January 8, 2013
Skeptical me. I've been canning more than 30 years and didn't think another book could teach me anything new. Well. Well. Surprise! There are some new favorites for my family in this book, including white chocolate raspberry spread, carrot cake jam, and the maple caramelized onions. The chunky pasta sauce recipe is totally fabulous and I made several batches last summer so we could enjoy it all winter. There are pickle recipes, jam recipes and sweet as well as savory recipes. This book is a gem and, as a companion to the tried and true Ball Blue Book, indispensable. My only objection is that many of the jam recipes contain a LOT of sugar. To rectify that, I switch pectins to Pamona's Universal Pectin, measure the amount of fruit, and then follow Pamona's instructions to create low sugar products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great flavors for foodies and good instructions for newbies, April 5, 2012
Now that it's getting time to start planting, it's also time to start planning canning projects. Can It! from Better Homes and Gardens is a book full of boiling water canning recipes with a few freezer recipes. No pressure canner recipes in the book at all.

If you don't know anything about canning, and it's something you're just starting to get interested in to take advantage of gardens or local farmer's markets, boiling water canning doesn't take expensive equipment. I do my canning in my biggest stock pot.

The book is laid out well with good explanations for people who've never canned before. It explains the equipment you'll need, how to follow a recipe, and how to process in a hot water bath.

There are also lots recipes that are easy to follow for experienced canners who want to go beyond their usual recipes. Savory recipes, sweet recipes and seasoning and combinations that will appeal to foodies.

Fantastic photos, and a good index in the back of the book to find things fast. The chapters are separated by types of food.

There are traditional recipes in here, like strawberry jam which is a staple for anyone starting to can, but where it shines are in recipes that appeal to people who are really interested in experimenting with flavors.

Adults will enjoy Strawberry Margarita Jelly made with Triple Sec and tequila, and people who enjoy savory sweet will like the herb jelly recipe.

There are a lot of recipes that will be in regular rotation here. My daughter really enjoys canning and is looking forward to making and canning the spicy roasted tomato pizza sauce. My son, who is wild for pickles of all sorts really likes the Asian Pickled Carrots. We plan our canning by what's seasonal as well as what is growing in our garden to take advantage of low prices on in season produce.

Lots of types of vegetables and fruit are used in the recipes, so if you grow a great crop of beans, you have several options for canning them with different flavors. All the recipes are very safe, with acid added for low acid foods.

I recommend keeping one jar out of anything you are canning for immediate consumption if your family is anything like mine. Canned food also makes a wonderful gift.

Great variety of recipes, a lot of which can become the basis for meals in the winter, and well written instructions make this the kind of winner you expect from Better Homes and Gardens. It's a book I'll recommend to my friends who can.
[I received a complimentary copy of the book to review on my craft blog- Don't Eat the Paste. My reviews are always my honest opinion]

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good and bad recipes, August 8, 2013
This review is from: Better Homes and Gardens Can It! (Better Homes and Gardens Cooking) (Kindle Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright beginners book, ALOT of jam recipes., June 17, 2013
I ordered this book as I recently started canning. I find it only "OK". I wasn't very impressed with the selection of recipes-there are ALOT of jams and jellies. I'll keep it for that reason, but I was looking for a more diverse collection of recipes, such as vegetables, soups, sauces, meats, etc. Not just a majority of jams. Overall, I am not very impressed, and am actually quite disappointed, I expected more from Better Homes and Gardens!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book.., June 30, 2012
OK, this book gives some great information for those of us who may be new to canning. The only complaint I have is the recipes are just OK, and not many that really spoke to me. BUT the basic information was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Professional and Essential, July 30, 2013
The two words I have for this are Professional and Essential. This book should be an essential part of your canning cookbook collection. It has all of the basics like strawberry jam and bread and butter pickles, but then it also have some really unique and fun recipes like the ones listed below.

Because it's a Better Homes and Garden Publication, it's incredibly helpful and professionally put together, with a ton of beautiful pictures, step by step instructions and basic as well as advanced canning instructions.

The recipes I love the most:

Strawberry-Lemon Marmalade

Tomato-Basil Simmer Sauce

Carrot Cake Jam

Brown Sugar -Vanilla Banana Butter

(so amazing I want to bold, highlight and put little hearts around this one)

Bread and Butter Zucchini Pickles

Disclosure: This book was purchased by me, all opinions are 100% my own as always.

5.0 out of 5 stars First canning book - beautiful!, April 22, 2014
Beautiful pictures, clear instructions for a brand new "canner" (that would be me!) And literally dozens and dozens of recipes that I, as a newbie, can follow with ease. Not all of them sound completely appetizing to me, it is true, but that shouldn't be a reason for knocking such a handy little book. Plenty of the recipes seem worth the try, in my mind. The pictures alone inspire me to get canning. The covers are made of that thick glossy paper, and it appears to be made well, as far as books go. I expect that this little recipe book will be with me for quite some time, and I'm now set and eagerly awaiting summertime. Shipping was expedient and I experienced no problems. Would order from them again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book., February 12, 2014
I have liked all of the recipes I have made from this book. I will be making several batches the Garlic Marinara, Basil Simmer Sauce, Cherry Tomato Carmelized Onion Conserve and the Farmers Market Corn Salsa. The only problem I had was with the corn salsa, the 4 ears of corn I used made more then 2 cups. Ended up using it as a corn side dish, so I will be making it both ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, easy recipes, October 2, 2013
Every recipe tried so far has been delicious - especially the blackberry port, peach bellini, and strawberry margarita jams. The pickles - bread and butter (made with zucchini), spicy zucchini, and the cucumber relish are all worth making. In fact, my daughter bought the book, and the results were so delicious that a friend and I each bought a copy.

Rate and Discover Movies