Better Match Up.......Joe Pike Vs. Hawk, Who wins?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 27, 2010 10:24:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2010 10:25:12 AM PST
NygFan says:
The two best wingmen in popular fiction, who comes out on top? And wouldn't it be fun watching Spenser and Elvis Cole trying to keep them from killing each other?

Posted on Jan 30, 2010 2:55:10 AM PST
~M~ says:
NygFan: I am living in a tunnel........please tell me who "Hawk" is. I am sure it is a "Duh" question but I am clueless in IN.
TIA, Maryruth

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2010 6:30:17 AM PST
NygFan says:
Hawk is the original Joe Pike, LOL. He is the some time partner of Spenser, the detective from Boston, the creation of the late, great Robert B. Parker.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2010 3:54:01 PM PST
~M~ says:
NygFan: Thanks for clearing that up, <grin>. My Sis reads Robert Parker, and loaned me a Spencer book. It was right after I had finished a Robert Ludlum Book. I don't want to be disrespectful, but reading the Spencer book wasn't my cup of tea; I never got to Hawk; I guess. If Joe Pike is Hawk reincarnated, he was worth the read; sounds like......at any rate, thanks for the info. Maryruth in IN.

Posted on Feb 24, 2010 4:49:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2010 9:47:29 AM PST
J. Flood says:
Spencer/Hawk never really did it for me so I can't offer an educated opinion. If I was going to throw another main character in the mix it would probably be Lucas Davenport. If you want to go old school probably Travis McGee. All that said, Pike wins.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2010 11:12:55 AM PST
~M~ says:
J.Flood: It was great to see a posting on here again. I haven't downloaded The First Rule yet on my Kindle (I have so many to read, I am hoping it goes down below $9.99 ;-). Pike is a great character, hope to see more books featurning him by R.C. Also I love Mitch Rapp books written by Vince Flynn. Maryruth in IN.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2010 6:38:42 AM PST
Y. Price says:
Oh, Hawk wins, for sure! Joe Pike seldom speaks. Hawk not only engages in conversation, he is funny, bright and sharp. Joe Pike's personality: What personality? We learn little about him as a person. We know quite a bit more about Hawk as a personality. Joe and Hawk are similar in that they can always be counted on to appear out of nowhere to come to the aid of their buddy, but Hawk does it with some flair and Joe just does what he has to do and disappears without a word.
Just my 2 cents.

Posted on Mar 19, 2010 2:03:37 PM PDT
J. Flood says:
Arrrgghh-does this happen to anybody else? you type out a whole reply or review and then you go to post and it goes to a 404 screen or loses the product you were on? Only haapens to me on Amazon, they claim they're looking into it. I usually copy all my reviews before I post but I forget on threads.

Anyway, Pike's ominous silence increases the old menacing aura for me. The whole Spenser for hire tv show probably killed the books for me. Never was a big fan of Robert Urich (RIP) as a PI for some reason. Best way to kill a good book/series is to miscast the filming. Best ever book to film casting anyone? I'm thinking Atticus/Gregory Peck.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Jan 27, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 19, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The First Rule (A Joe Pike Novel)
The First Rule (A Joe Pike Novel) by Robert Crais (Hardcover - January 12, 2010)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (268)