Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

• Customer Reviews

on January 17, 2011
This is an awesome product. I've used it for years and wouldn't make my soups with anything else--it is the closest thing to homemade stock that comes in a jar. I would even go so far as to say better than homemade because it makes a more flavorful broth than I can get from using two chickens. Having said all that, this pricing is awful. I buy BTB at my local grocery store (and most carry it now, although that wasn't always the case) for about 5.39. I came to Amazon hoping for a quantity break but no such luck. My advice is to check your own grocery stores first before you pay twice too much.
1010 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2004
I found this product in a gourmet grocery store, and since I like to make sauces, but don't have the time usually to do it from scratch, I tried it. I taste tested it against three different canned and boxed stocks I have used, and it was better. Depending on the concentration you mix it to, it is always chickeny, just a hint of sweet, and looks just like regular stock. I have even tried putting a quarts worth of the concentrate into a cupful of sauce and it doesn't make it salty, just taste richer, and it doesn't seem to affect the chemistry of sauces, thick or thin, no extra tendency to break. I have since tried all the other flavors with equal success. These are great for gourmet camp cooking too, and can be used any where you need a stock but don't want ot haul all the weight and bulk. Makes great soups too, friends and family rave about my Greek Avgolemeno soup which only uses this as the stock, along with some orzo, lemon, egg and diced cooked chicken.
55 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
If you love buying rotisserie chicken you can layer slices of chicken on fresh bread, then dip the sandwiches in a delicious homemade chicken gravy. The flavor of the gravy can be greatly enhanced by using this stock base. This chicken base also contains turmeric and soy protein.

Better Than Bouillon is a stock paste or more like a chicken base than a bouillon cube. Dry bouillon cubes are famous for being overly salty and that is why chicken base is a much healthier, not to mention, tasty alternative.

One teaspoon of bouillon blended into one cup of hot water makes one cup of chicken stock. I use two tablespoons butter and two tablespoons flour plus the stock and a sprinkling of poultry seasoning, freshly ground pepper and paprika. Melt the butter in a small saucepan, whisk in the flour and then the stock.

The stock base is also perfect when you are making soups and one to two tablespoons is enough to flavor an entire pot of stock. You can also put the leftover rotisserie chicken in a stockpot, cover with water and simmer with vegetables and herbs/spices to make a delicious homemade stock. I love enhancing the stock with Better Than Bouillon and the possibilities are endless after you learn to make chicken stock and then use this product to enhance the flavor.

~The Rebecca Review
on December 7, 2011
This is a great product and stays good for a long time in the fridge. But you can get it for way, way cheaper in the grocery store. I get mine at Jewel or Dominick's and pay only about $6 for it. I can't believe how much they're charging for this on Amazon. Save your money, buy this product, but get it from the grocery store.
on March 11, 2011
This is very good - I know because I bought a jar for less than $4 at Walmart last week. Is someone really trying to to charge $11 for one jar, or am I missing something?
33 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2011
I use this base all the time but buy it at a local grocery for under $4. If it weren't overpriced on Amazon, I'd buy it.
on June 30, 2006
I discovered this product about a year ago and have not used dehydrated boullion since. It's so convenient to make -- just boil the amount of water you need and add the appropriate amount of base. It blends quickly too. No more undissolved bouillon pebbles in the bottom of the broth!

We're a family of 2 so I was worried that they'd go bad on me before I had a chance to use it all, but I've had open jars stored in the fridge for a few months at a time and have never had a problem. I've also purchased the beef base and am just as pleased. Wonderful products!

~The Rebecca Review
on November 20, 2011
I think that this item is over priced on Amazon. It's an excellent product, however, I have purchased this same product on sale for $4.99 at Stop & Shop (Peapod). The price difference is significant.
on May 8, 2012
I was really excited by Better Than Bouillon. Especially when making risotto, I have been searching for a good chicken bouillon to make life easier.
Preparing it is very simple, and the jar sits easily in the fridge.
The taste is, however, lack luster. I found myself adding extra just to get any real flavor, and even then, there was no strong chicken taste. Didn't serve to heighten the flavors, or add aroma.
Given the high price (and the Amazon price is higher than in many stores), this isn't worth it. Knorr's very salty bouillon is still better.