5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and Delicious, July 30, 2000
Realist "Truthseeker" (Oceanside, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Better With Buttermilk: The Secret Ingredient in Old-Fashioned Cooking (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful cookbook. For those of us who thought buttermilk was just a tangy milk product full of fat, THINK AGAIN. In reality it is better for you than regular milk and has less fat. It makes recipes tastier and better for you too. This book starts out with the history of buttermilk and takes us in to why it is so good for us. Very interesting reading. The author gives us ideas in the introduction on how to make special cooking butter that saves calories time and money. Then come the recipes. They are easy to read and follow. They are delicious. I am looking forward to using this book for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky find, November 24, 2003
tzefirah "tzefirah" (Media, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I found this book on a remainder table and couldn't resist it. I bake often, and once you experience baking with buttermilk, you'll want to expand your baking recipes to include lots with buttermilk. It's a great baking ingredient (including the dried buttermilk powder).
With the success of the baking recipes, I tried some of the "smothered" recipes. Also great.
The recipes in this book are mostly easy and contain typical ingredients. They are also crowd pleasers. I can't recommend this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just For Baking......, January 19, 2006
We really love the recipe using buttermilk to extend butter. It makes a lower fat/calorie spread that my kids love. In fact, not one of the many recipes that I have tried from this book has been bad. My kids have loved every one of them. The recipes are written very clearly with the author's tips included. There are many recipes that are not "baking" recipes such as spreads, dips, soups, salads & salad dressings; main dishes such as stews; fried chicken & fish, stroganoff, desserts such as puddings & sherbets plus many more traditional "baking" recipes like breads; muffins; soufflees; cakes, etc. The history of buttermilk and what to look for is very informative. This is a "must-have" if you love buttermilk and a great cookbook to expand your cooking if your are unfamiliar with using buttermilk in baking & cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE, May 2, 2011
This is one of my favorite cook books. If you have buttermilk that is about to go bad, open this book and find a recipe. It tells how buttermilk is really made (not the vinegar and milk at-home recipe) and how it's been used in years past. I love reading this book on a rainy day to find out what I'd like to have as a treat, breakfast, or something to use my buttermilk for in my dinner. Also, I love how she gives the facts on how wonderful buttermilk is for your body! A must-have!

Better With Buttermilk: The Secret Ingredient in Old-Fashioned Cooking
Better With Buttermilk: The Secret Ingredient in Old-Fashioned Cooking by Lee Edwards Benning (Hardcover - June 1996)
Used & New from: $2.12