5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy!
Published on July 1, 2009 by Walk N Roll

2.0 out of 5 stars Grainy and dry
The overall flavor was not bad, but certainly could have had a little more vanilla, I think. The texture was dry and grainy. Will not buy again. I do have to say thank you to B.C. for making the effort. We need more companies willing to experiment with gf REASONABLY PRICED products. It's like starting to eat gf. It takes some getting used to and a lot of...
Published on January 12, 2010 by Sandra L. Dungan

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy!, July 1, 2009
This review is from: Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix, 15-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6) (Grocery)
For those that have negative comments about the product...please check out the Betty Crocker website...it would take you less time to get all the information you are looking for than to write the negative reviews. By the way, yes, these products are made in a gluten free facility...Betty Crocker has a whole website dedicated to their new gluten free products and definitely worth checking out.

Now - I've given up on trying to make a gluten free yellow cake - I haven't liked any of my recipes or any mixes...Until the new Betty Crocker mix. It really is yummy and has GREAT texture - very smooth and moist. will buy over and over again!!! Thanks Betty Crocker!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great mainstream gluten-free option, July 2, 2009
People, PLEASE don't review a product before you've tried it. It gives the impression that the product is not good, which is not the case here. I understand your concerns about the ingredient list. Call Betty Crocker or go to their website.

I think we need to do all we can to SUPPORT mainstream companies coming out with gluten-free products. The more we do this, the more products will hit the market. This will make products easier to find (local grocery stores), cheaper, and tastier!

That being said, this product is actually good. The Betty Crocker website has a lot of recipes to use with the gluten-free mixes. I tried the carrot cake recipe with the yellow cake mix and it was GREAT. The only downside is that it only makes one layer, so if you are making a two-layer cake, buy two. Yes, that gets expensive. It's part of gluten-free living,is it not?

5.0 out of 5 stars So excited!, July 2, 2009
Megan Gorg (Warrenton, VA USA) - See all my reviews
So excited that there is an easily accessible product that is good and GF! Now it will be easy for those that want to bake for GF friends/family. Here are the ingredients for those that are interested:

Rice Flour, Sugar, Potato Starch, Leavening (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, monocalcium phosphate), Xanthan Gum, Salt. May contain soy ingredients.
It calls for water, 1 stick of butter, 2 t of vanilla and 3 eggs.

Hope that helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Betty Crocker, July 3, 2009
I love this cake mix and the other 3 mixes as well. They are incredible & amazon offers the best price around. I am so thankful for Betty Crocker for coming out with these mixes since my 3 year old has celiac disease and can't eat gluten. This makes my life so much easier since friends and family can also purchase these products as well and no one can tell the difference between the gluten & the gluten free!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars OMG... These are so good., July 10, 2009
I just recieved my Betty Crocker Gluten Free yellow cake mix today and couldn't wait to make up a batch of cup cakes. They just came out of the oven and with the execption of adding a box of sugar free Jell-o instant pudding to the mix and halving the butter with coconut oil I followed the directions exactly. There was enough batter to make 12 standard size cup cakes. These are a big hit with my kids and husband(who is not a big fan of most GF baked goods) so we will definatly buy this product again and again. I also noticed that these have about 100 less calories per serving than the standard yellow cake mix which is really nice, thus making each cupcake really close to 100 calories each. Mmmm, I'm gonna grab a second before they disapear.

5.0 out of 5 stars It really tastes like CAKE!, August 23, 2009
I have several motivations for writing this review:
First: To counter the folks who dissed it in this forum without trying it. Amazon has now provided the full ingredient list.

Second: To extol praise and thanksgiving that a mainstream, nationally recognized company has heard and answered the plight of the wheat-free and gluten-free community by providing us with easily accessible gluten free products, having made the substantial investment in a gluten-free factility. I believe such a commitment on our behalf deserves our appreciation.

Third, and most important: To tell whoever wants to know that Betty Crocker GF Yellow Cake Mix is really easy, and REALLY GOOD!

I found and purchased the Betty Crocker GF Yellow Cake mix in my local Kroger store, right in the "normal" baking mixes aisle. I was so excited that I nearly took a picture of it sitting on the shelf along side the products the rest of the baking world purchases!

The mix requires 1 stick (1/2 cup) of butter (or equivalent), 3 eggs, and 2 tsp of vanilla. I used 2 whole eggs, and the equivalent of a third egg using liquid egg substitute. The cake baked up beautiful, golden, and delicious. I suggest testing the cake for doneness 5 minutes before the minimum baking time, as the edges were a little bit browner than the rest of the cake, but that certainly did not detract from the taste in the least. The texture (except for those edges) was perfect. Really just like a yellow cake should be.

Please know that the mix makes a one-layer cake, just like the picture illustrates. Bake it in an 8 or 9-inch square or round cake pan, or make cupcakes. But don't plan on a two-layer cake or a 13x9 from just one box.

I took the cake (with dark chocolate frosting) to a covered dish dinner, where it was the most popular cake on the dessert table, even though I was the only person eating gluten-free. AND it is just as good the second day!

Honestly, Betty Crocker has succeeded in making a "real" yellow cake with GF ingredients, in a dedicated GF facility. And Amazon's price is better than my local store.

What's not to love? Thank you, Betty Crocker.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Joke - Ingredient People, Take a Little Initiative, July 2, 2009
Seriously - I get the importance of seeing the ingredients - go check the website instead of giving it a one star review. Or send an email to the folks at Amazon. If you are a celiac, then you know the importance of finding good gluten free food, and I lean heavily on reviews and ratings to determine if a product is worth the effort. Your one star ratings unfairly dings a product YOU HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED!

Objection noted- I never buy anything without the ingredient list - but to go through and give one stars just to get your point across is ridiculous. It's also lazy.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars real cake taste and texture!, July 13, 2009
proud mom (encinitas CA) - See all my reviews
It tastes like real cake. My daughter's friends never guessed it was gluten free. Great job Betty Crocker. We will buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Gluten Free Cupcakes!, July 8, 2009
I used this mix to make cupcakes (12 per box) with great results. The mix also tasted good with a butter substitute (coconut oil).

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Even when made without eggs!, October 18, 2013
My son is allergic to wheat and eggs (among many other things). I have used this mix three times recently using various egg substitutes to make cupcakes and thought I would share the results with anyone else who might be interested. We were very happy with the results of all three versions, although the last was the best. Attempt #1 I substituted apple sauce for the eggs, using 1/3 cup applesauce per egg. These turned out really well. Great appearance and great taste (slight apple taste) but were just a tiny bit dry. Attempt #2 was the weird "Soda" cake recipe I had heard about but never tried. Basically you add a can of soda (minus a few sips) to a cake mix and nothing else. All we had on hand was Cherry Coke so I gave it a shot. These I made with the Betty Crocker Gluten Free chocolate cake mix. I was shocked but the texture and appearance of these were totally "normal". My husband (the ultimate Gluten Free critic) thought they were great and tasted nothing like the other gluten free items I have baked. I loved the texture and that they were moist but all I could taste was the Cherry Coke ( which I love, just maybe not in my choc cake)! I would definitely try the soda recipe again just with a different flavor of soda next time.
Attempt #3 was a "doctored" version of the recipe, adding additional ingredients instead of just substituting the eggs. I got the recipe from The Cake Mix Doctor's Gluten Free Cookbook, which is found here on amazon (and I used the "search inside the book" feature to look for a recipe). I don't want to publish her exact recipe but found one that included pudding mix, sour cream, oil, water, eggs and vanilla extract. I substituted apple sauce for the eggs and I also used orange juice instead of the water. These turned out really really well. I think the addition of sour cream really helped not to miss the eggs, and the orange juice wasn't much (1/4 cup) but it gives it a really nice flavor.
In all I think this cake mix is great and I would highly recommend it.