5.0 out of 5 stars Great book

3.0 out of 5 stars Breads lack variety in consistency but info/reasearch great
Published on February 27, 2005 by Lynn

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, October 14, 2002
M. Sonino (Milano, Italia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Betty Crockers Best Bread Machine Cookbook (Hardcover-spiral)
when I bought my bread machine a year ago I was really excited about buying a cookbook to try it out. I found so many books, and most of the reviews said "buy this one it's the best", or "you won't need another one"... I got all confused. So, since I have most Betty Crocker cookbooks, I choose this one, 'cause I know they only have try and true recipes. In fact, it didn't let me down.
The book starts with an introduction about bread machines in general, how they work, and ingredients. It has a chart with all kinds of flours and teaches you what kind of bread you'll get.
Then the recipes. Including here, classics like white bread, Sally Lunn, garlic bread. New ones like orange capuccino brad. It has one of the best bagel recipe.
It's divided in 7 chapters:
Chapter 1: Good and Savory loaves
Chapter 2: Wholesome Grains Loaves
Chapter 3: Fruit and Veggie Harvest Loaves
Chapter 4: Smaller Can Be jst Right
Chapter 5: Rustic Loaves and Flatbreads
Chapter 6: Satisfying Rolls and Breadsticks
Chapter 7: Sweet breads and Coffee Cakes
The book has plenty of pictures, and this, especially for a beginner, is pretty important to know what it will look like the bread you are gonna bake.
A year later, I find myself still using this fantastic book and having excellent results. It has over 130 recipes so it's impossible to get bored.

3.0 out of 5 stars Breads lack variety in consistency but info/reasearch great, February 27, 2005
Lynn (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
  There are several very positive comments that I have about this book. First, the recipes were tested on all 3 sizes of loaves. Therefore, sometimes proportions of ingredients will not necessarily agree with proportions of bread weight in order to get the same bread. I was happy to have someone else go through these tests so that I didn't have to. Another interesting element to this book is that they show pictures of how "wrong" breads look and list what possible ingredients were out of proportion. This is very helpful in analyzing the outcome of your bread. Finally, I am a picture person and all of the breads have beautiful pictures next to them.

The big negative I found in the book was that all of the breads I made (about 7) had the same consistency. If you are interested in creating more interesting types of breads, such as light airy french breads with crunchy crusts or ciabatta's - you will be hard pressed to find them in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, love it, love it!, February 15, 2008
Amazon Customer (Hendersonville, NC) - See all my reviews
My husband bought me a breadmaker probably two years ago and all I managed to produce from it were things that could be used to build homes. All my loaves resembled door stops or bricks and I gave up the hobby. Recently, I decided to give it another shot and so I ordered two cookbooks, this one and "Bread!" which I will also review (no 5 stars for that one...).

The recipes include (and this is a long list but I always wish there were more detailed reviews so I try to leave for others what I would have liked to see):
Chapter One: Good and Savory Loaves (all recipes listed have directions for 1 1/2 or 2 lb loaves)
-Classic White Bread
-Sally Lumm
-Sourdough Loaf (and starter directions)
-Pumpkin Seed Bread
-Orange Cappuccino Bread
-Chocolate Walnut Bread
-Chocolate Mint Bread
-Vanilla Sour Cream Bread

Capter Two: Wholesome Grain Loaves (all recipes for 1 1/2 or 2lb loaves and include either some type of grain like oatmeal or seeds and/or whole wheat flour)
-Honey Whole Wheat Bread
-Orange Oat Cornmeal Bread
-Granola Bread
-Cranberry Corn Bread
-Honey Corn Bread

Chapter Three: Fruit and Veggie Harvest Loaves (again, all recipes for 1 1/2 lb or 2 lb loaves but this time include fruits and/or veggies)
-Caramel Apple and Pecan Bread
-Peppery Potato and Carrot Bread
-Maple Sweet Potato Bread
-Dilled Carrot Bread
-Potato Tarragon Bread

Chapter Four: Smaller Can Be Just Right (all recipes in this chapter are for 1 or 1 1/2 lb loaves)
-Buttermilk Bread
-Almond Chocolate Chip Bread
-Cranberry Whole Wheat Bread
-Greek Olive Bread
-Choco-Banana Bread

Chapter Five: Rustic Loaves and Flatbreads (This chapter includes mainly dough recipes that can be used if your machine has a dough setting)
-Old-World Rye Bread
-Two-Cheese Pizza
-Mexican Beef Pizza
-Chicken Fajita Pizza
-Mediterranean Peppered Pizza

Chapter Six: Satisfying Rolls and Breadsticks (again, mainly dough recipes)
-Dinner Rolls
-Glazed Cinnamon Rolls
-Sticky Rolls
-Chocolate Caramel Sticky Buns
-Maple Walnut Twists

Chapter Seven: Sweet Breads and Coffee Cakes (dough...)
-Easy Apple Coffee Cake
-Sherried Hazelnut Braid
-Swedish Coffee Ring
-Crunchy Wheat and Honey Twist
-Sweet Bread Wreath

Phew! That's a long list! Anyhoo, I love this book and have made several beautiful and delicious loaves in just the few days I have had it (peanut butter bread, cheesy onion loaf, fiery four-pepper bread, etc). Each one has been beautiful and each recipe tells you if the loaf will, for instance, be shorter and more dense, so you don't freak out and think you've produced yet another cinderblock.

A great buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great variety of breads plus easy to follow instructions, February 20, 2005
This excellent bread machine cookbook covers a wide variety of bread types, from standard loaves to multigrains to fruit breads to related items such as rolls, pizza, and coffee cakes. The instructions for each recipe are clearly broken down into easily understandable steps; although some of the breads involve decorative touches that appear difficult, simple sidebar illustrations make these fancy finishes a breeze. The full-page photographs accompanying many of the recipes definitely make your mouth water as well as give some wonderful suggestions for how you can use each type of bread (however, as an earlier reviewer mentioned, I would have preferred to see every recipe illustrated). Overall, I would recommend this cookbook to anyone looking for bread machine recipes ranging from the simple to the more creative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bread making made easy, June 28, 2004
I often use this book when I want to have fresh bread but don't have the patience to make it by hand. It has everything from a classic white bread to coffee cakes and pizza.
Overall I would have liked to see a bit more photos (not all recipes had a corresponding photo although most did) but was very happy with the book in general. In the introduction there is a detailed "possible problem" list that contains common mistakes, what they look like, and how to avoid making them.
Each recipe was very simple to understand and read, having numerous success tips (every recipe was tested before being included in the book)and nutritional information.
Some of the recipes that I tried were: Mediterranean Herbed Bread, Sally Lunn, Sweet Orange Bread with Orange Glaze, Two-Cheese Pizza, and several kings of Dinner Rolls.
Overall probably the best bread machine currently on the market due to its attention to detail and quantity of recipes that really work.

3.0 out of 5 stars So-so, June 8, 2008
As a BOOK, this is excellent -- great pictures, clear instructions, well organized, lots of variety. I was salivating as I read through it the first time.

However, after trying about half a dozen recipes, I have to say I'm not quite so impressed. The breads didn't taste as good the ingredients would indicate. For example, the onion cheese bread was not particularly cheesy nor onion-y. I tried again without the cheese and had to more than double the onion to get a flavorful result.

I guess it's a good starting point. If the recipe comes out how you like it, great; if not, you can experiment. Maybe I've been spoiled by the Internet: I like the feedback and user comments on AllRecipes.com so I have realistic expectations before I decide to use my time and ingredients.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for anyone with a bread machine, April 24, 2001
Book Worm (OH United States) - See all my reviews
I've used a bread machine for the past 5 years (2 actually I wore out the first). This cookbook has a wonderful format and a nice variety of breads and rolls to choose from. It has become my favorite gift to give friends who have bread machines. One thing that I do that give better texture is to use the dough cycle on my machine and bake it in a regular oven. That way I get a regular sized loaf with a nice soft crust.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make the Honey Corn Bread!!!, August 8, 2005
All I can say is make the Honey Corn Bread. I have made this bread in my cheapo breadmaker (less than 40 bucks!!) and every time (I think I have made it 5 times) it has turned out like a dream. I have made a couple of other breads from the book and they have all turned out well. I'm very pleased with my purchase. Thank you Betty Crocker.

4.0 out of 5 stars great cookbook, January 11, 2007
R. Holshue (Seattle, Wa. USA) - See all my reviews
I'm not one that usually likes or uses cookbooks but making bread, especially in a breadmaker it is critical to have a good recipe. Have tried several of the recipes from this book and they have all turned out great. That is only part of the reason I like this cookbook though. The way this book is constructed with the spiral wire binding so the book stays open to the recipe you are using and the thick cleanable pages makes you realize that this was a book put together by people that have used cookbooks and know what makes a good one that people will use again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars the Best of the Basics, August 8, 2001
Christy Herbert (Muskegon, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best basic bread machine cookbooks I have ever used. 90% of the recipes turn out just fine without any "tweaking". There is a nice variety of recipes with most of the ingredients you already have in your cupboard. An excellent first bread machine cookbook.

Betty Crockers Best Bread Machine Cookbook
Betty Crockers Best Bread Machine Cookbook by Betty Crocker (Hardcover-spiral - June 3, 1999)
$22.95 $15.62