‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new album from the best Damn Delta Blues Band, August 7, 2012
Barry S. Graubart "b graubart" (Irvington, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Between the Ditches (Audio CD)
Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band have created a unique sound, built on the foundation of roots delta blues, with a bit of hillbilly on top. Based in Indiana, the Big Damn Band consist of the Reverend on lead guitar and vocals, his wife Breezy on washboards and drummer Aaron Persinger.

If you love raucous blues guitar, you'll be a fan of the Reverend. No pedals needed, it's just guitar, cable and amp. He plays slide on a few old National guitars and also plays a cigar box model. His fingerstyle (modeled after delta blues legend Charlie Patton) gives the band a fuller sound than you'd imagine from three musicians. Having seen them live, I can tell you that it's all in the fingers, not in any overdubbing.

Between the Ditches is a return to the sound they delivered in 2010's The Wages, after 2011's Peyton on Patton, where they covered Charlie Patton's classics. The return is strong. Compelling stories, covering a range of topics, all supported by great musicianship.

Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band are probably unlike any band you've ever heard. But you'll want to hear them again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, Reverend!, September 17, 2012
This review is from: Between the Ditches (Audio CD)
The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band (consisting of Josh Peyton on a slew of cool guitars, his wife "Washboard" Breezy on washboard, percussion, and red leather boots, and distant cousin Aaron "Cuz" Persinger on a drum set that incorporates a 5 gallon bucket), celebrates hard times, life on the road, self-dependency, family, and righteous protection of our land from greedy corporations (and, no, corporations are not people) is this latest batch of songs on "Between the Ditches."

Whether a label like Delta Blues, madcap Americana, or Rasputins of folk best fits the music really does not matter. The pent-up wallop of the songs, the earnest stories, the incredible facility on a guitar do. This collection is a great starting point for those new to the Reverend's flock of die-hards and an even-better must-have recording for fans who have been following this band back and forth on the road for the past several plus years. (I can almost give this one a 5th star, but not quite.)

Do yourself a favor and get to one of their live shows. You will like the recorded music even more and see firsthand that technique, practice, touring, and unbridled glee result in some memorable music being unleashed. Thank you, Reverend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, December 9, 2012
This review is from: Between the Ditches (Audio CD)
I had just heard Reverend Payton on the radio. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.
It is the most unusal sound I have heard in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, October 11, 2012
This review is from: Between The Ditches (MP3 Music)
If you are a Peyton fan, this is their best album yet. True to their form but cleaned up a bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars How can a trio playing a guitar, a washboard, and a bucket pull this stuff off???, September 12, 2012
This review is from: Between the Ditches (Audio CD)
Got the album today, it's one of those albums which if you aren't bobbing your head or tapping your toes withing ten seconds of pushing PLAY that you might need to seek medical attention.

I had heard of the groups older stuff and to some of it, it sounded like someone gave Johnny Bravo a guitar and a microphone, this album however seems a lot more structured than some of the other songs I've heard...it's got heavier rifts, addictive rhythm and as my title states, I can't believe this is made by a trio who's repertoire includes a cigar box, a 5-gallon bucket, a washboard, thimbles and golf gloves. The end result is is an album packed full of gritty, raw, and eclectic sounds bordering blues and bluegrass...a much welcome relief in a world constantly in favor of auto-tuned "artists" and fabricated talent.

Get these guys in with The Black Keys and you'd have a heck of a show :)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this band, September 7, 2012
This review is from: Between The Ditches (MP3 Music)
The songs are based on true events and stories, the music is fast and they are even better live!
If you have a chance to see them, do not let that chance pass you by.
Also check out The Wages cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gift from the wife (Amazon.co.de) I assumed was a joke-gift., August 21, 2012
"T=H=E --- 'Older Than Dirt' --- Time Tra... (A "Yank" in Germany doing reviews in Britain and America.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
It's a three-piece band:
The Reverend Peyton ==> Mandolin/Harmonica/Guitarist/singer.
Breezy Peyton ==> Percussion/Washboardest/Background Singer.
Aaron "Cuz" Persinger ==> Drums/Bucket/Percussion/Hollerin'!

The group has a very re-memberable name.

I'm VERY thankful that I l-i-k-e the BLUESY/Grassy music because
I'm figurin' if I hated it, the Reverend could kick MY butt with
a little help from Breezy an' "Cuz".

I am glad there ARE other CDs, but I'm told this one is their best.

Other available CDs are:
The Wages
Peyton on Patton
The Whole Fam Damnily
Big Damn Nation
The Gospel Album
Devils Look Like Angels

It's sorta like --- and I mean this in a GOOD way ---
ZZ Top Meets the Beverly Hillbillies' Flatt & Scruggs!
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I give these 14 songs 14 fingers UP! --- not THAT finger....
your pickin' an' grinin' fingers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nailed it Again!, August 19, 2012
Rooster (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Between the Ditches (Audio CD)
I could be wrong here but this seems like the first record that he's played electric guitar on. Every one of their records are consistently outstanding. The well never runs dry with these guys. Outstanding musicianship and killer lyrics "Shut the screen, it's too damn hot, and them bugs are too damn mean!"

My wife and I just saw them live last night in Portland Maine. I was a bit hesitant to bring her (James Taylor/Billy Joel!) and they did not come on until 11PM but she really liked them because of their infectious enthusiasm. We were sitting in the back but the Reverend waived everyone up towards the stage and my wife went right down to get a closer look at Breezy playing the washboard. The drummer has a bucket as part of his kit. The Reverend's collection included (I think) a '30s National guitar, a cigar-box guitar, a Gibson flattop 1929 L2, and an Airline Map electric guitar. I can't believe they can go out and give it their all like that nearly night after night.

Live album please! And more harmonica!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Reverend front and center, August 12, 2012
This review is from: Between the Ditches (Audio CD)
This one may be the best yet! What separates it from the others? With the exception of the Patton tribute (see my review), to my ears the drum and washboard have been too high in the mix. Often, on the fast songs, the percussion nearly drowned out the Reverend. Not so here. It's not that the percussion is mellow, but it sits lower in the mix which allows Reverend Peyton to shine.

The Reverend is a heckuva picker, and I want to hear each note and nuance. I do here, and that is a big item!

The Reverend has a great husky, smokey, raspy voice. Some would label it "limited"; I would not. The Reverend gets a lot out of his voice, and on prior albums it sometimes gets "lost" (to a degree) fighting for space with the percussion. There is far less of that here; again a major selling point for me.

The music is a little swampier this time out, which is probably why I have heard several comments that there is a Creedence vibe here. I am unsure that I would go that far, but if there is it certainly works well. The songs are a mix of fun and serious lyrics, delivered with great gusto. The Reverend is consistent enough that if you have liked any of the previous releases, you'll like this just as much (or better). Another success for the Reverend!

5.0 out of 5 stars two thumb's up, July 10, 2014
This review is from: Between the Ditches (Audio CD)
Another great one by the good Reverend and his Big Damn Band.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Between the Ditches
Between the Ditches by The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band (Audio CD - 2012)
Rate and Discover Movies