5.0 out of 5 stars Answers for Life's Problems
In the typical Tony Evans style this book breaks down the Bible so anyone can understand it. I drew the following keys learnings from this book:

Published on January 28, 2011 by Lora

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what i expected
Careful! This book should not be confused with the now hugely popular 127 hours, between a rock and a hardplace. It has nothing to do with the inspirational story of mountaineer Aaron Ralston, but Rather is evangelical rubish.
Published on April 8, 2011 by Yuri Geldzweig

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Answers for Life's Problems, January 28, 2011
Lora (Indianapolis, IN US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Between a Rock and a Hard Place (Paperback)

1) Believe God will do what He says He will do when you find yourself between a rock and a hard place. It's much easier to relax when you know God's promises and that He will fulfil what He has written in His Word. Jer 29:11
2) There is importance in continuining to Worship God during these trials. Communion is a time to put everything before the Lord and reconnect with Him. Don't miss out on this important spiritual act.
3) Mark 6 tells us that we can be in a storm but still in the Will of God. This was key for me. I know many Christian's can fall into a belief that because we honor God with our lives He will make the way smooth but this is not true.
4) The last paragraph on page 94 was eye opening as well. In the darkest hours Jesus is there, open your eyes and look for Him.
5) The key to the whole book hit me on Page 104. Dr Evans quotes Matthew 14:27 "Take courage, it is I, do not be afraid." Dr Evans says "He [Jesus] sees the internal storm, and calms them with His Word." So the next time I find myself between a rock and a hard place I will cling to this verse and know that in the midst of storm that Jesus is with me and I will not be afraid! Amen!

As Christians we are going to have problems and find outselves in difficult situations. This book really tells you how God thinks and will help you to see these trials as blessings meant to further God's kingdom. And as Christians that is all we should ever want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you have a difficult decision to make? or many?, December 4, 2010
J. Gray-Lion (Arlington, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Between a Rock and a Hard Place (Paperback)
I enjoy listening to Dr. Evans' radio program, the Urban Alternative, because I appreciate his ability to take the densely packed truth found in the Bible and break it down into ideas, action steps and hope for what God is doing in my life and in the lives of the people I love most. When I heard about Between a Rock and a Hard Place, I was excited to dig into what Dr. Evans had committed to the page. Between a Rock and a Hard Place is written in a conversational style so I read it very quickly, but the real treasure came when I stopped to consider the questions at the ends of the chapters and prayed for clarity in my own life. Dr. and Mrs. Evans describe a time when they themselves were praying for clarity and God provided it through a conversation with a good friend. Is it time for you to pray for clarity on how to proceed in an area or a decision in your life?

I appreciate this book on several levels and plan to keep thinking and praying through the ideas presented. It has earned the right to sit on my book shelf to be revisited throughout the decisions to come in my life. After reading this book, I have several passages of the Bible that I want to spend more time studying and reaching a deeper understanding. This book, combined with Dan Miller's 48 Days to the Work You Love: Preparing for the New Normal and Zig Ziglar's Embrace the Struggle: Living Life on Life's Terms, has been particularly encouraging to me in this climate of budget cuts, changing workplace environments and watching people grapple with setting the priorities in their households. Just for these two reasons, this book is treasure.

Whether you identify with Abraham having to give up something infinitely precious to him, or Joshua being sent out to take on an enemy with a hope and a shout, or Mary feeling trapped by circumstances or Martha playing the "if only" game, you will be encouraged and equipped by reading this book and considering the questions. Keep moving forward. Be courageous as you respond to the call God places on your life.

There is something that only you can do, where you are placed, with the experiences and talents that only you have.

It doesn't matter how crazy God's solution sounds. "God longs to be more than just theology on a shelf. He wants to be real to you right now. To accomplish this, sometimes He allows us to get, or even puts us, between a rock and a hard place.... God knows that when we see Him for who He really is, we will never see life the same again." - read the rest of the book and then go share it with a friend who is caught in their own trick-bag situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A solution: God's solution., November 22, 2010
This review is from: Between a Rock and a Hard Place (Paperback)
When we are met with problems we identify as unsolvable, it is hard for us to see beyond the obstacle. Pastor Evans clearly and simply identifies that everything is for the glory of God, and does so through his awesome style of telling it like it is and giving the reader/listener the means to really put themselves into the story he's telling. Everything He allows us to go through makes the bonds of your relationship with Him even stronger. This book is highly recommended for everyone out there who faces difficult and trying times in their lives, but feel helpless as to how to go through them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, November 3, 2010
Dr. Evans' insight into the "hard places" in life and what they can reveal is awesome. Using biblical examples he reveals how our trials and circumstances can lead us to experience God in way we never have before. Prepare your heart because this is a life changing book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Remove the Stone, February 11, 2011
This review is from: Between a Rock and a Hard Place (Paperback)
After reading this book, I keep coming back to "Remove the Stone."

Dr. Evans has a way of writing that draws the reader in. He also makes you feel he is sitting right next to you. This is an excellent book for anyone between a rock and a hard place. He really shows you how God uses these times to strengthen our faith and deepen our relationship with Him.

I would recommend this book to anyone asking themselves, "Why am I having to go through this trial?" Dr. Evans has clear answers and biblical teachings to help us understand the "why" of our situations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved through Pressure, January 27, 2011
This review is from: Between a Rock and a Hard Place (Paperback)
I finished Between a Rock and a Hard Place in just a few days. I am now going back over it very slowly. There is a wealth of information here. Tony Evans' style is simple and direct and yet so very deep...

I have been changed in my view of God during trials. Always knew He was with me in the middle of them, but now I see Him as lovingly and jealously desiring intimacy with me. We truly grow closer to God when we lean in.

Thank you so much Dr. Evans!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gifted, January 31, 2011
This review is from: Between a Rock and a Hard Place (Paperback)
Whether your a christian, seeking a higher purpose, or searching, this book is a great read. It's engaging, and easy to read, if you regard a good book as a great meal, savor every bite. I have been a christian for 15 years, I was introduced to Dr. Evans when I first started my christian walk via his radio broadcast on ksbj Houston, Texas; for those of us who know christ the beginning stages of your walk can be like christmas everyday, God speaks, you listen and obey with no reservations, your faith literally moves mountains, the beginning of a marriage in a long honeymoon stage, but as we continue to walk a long the honeymoon comes to and end, things become mundane and too familiar, a little less communication, prayer becomes a chore, and suddenly we are questioning God's every move.

This book came @ a great time for me, Abraham's story of a promise coming to pass @ a late age spoke volumes, even though I have read this story many times, listen to numerous sermons on this promise at specific times in my journey, the lord lead me to this book for another confirmation. The chapter on wanting the "details" I know was written for me. As I get older in the lord I seem to want more "details" I am Mary, Jesus tells me to move the stone and I'm asking why? Parts of this book I had to stop and meditate to take it all in. The illustration of the experienced fisherman as Jesus is sleeping in the boat blew my mind! Jesus purposely brought them to familiar surroundings, they were experienced men of the ocean, they thought they were in control, until the storm. I have heard that story many of times, Dr. Evans gave me a different perspective, and it spoke loud and clear to the present situation I am currently in.

Thank you for your ministry, and thank you for allowing the holy spirit to use you to speak to me. Now I am on to read "God is up to something Great" I still listen to that sermon to this very day!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, February 8, 2011
This review is from: Between a Rock and a Hard Place (Paperback)
This was one of Dr Evans best books ever written. This book taught me that it is important to trust God daily in all aspects of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A corridor with many doors..., November 6, 2010
This review is from: Between a Rock and a Hard Place (Paperback)
Life can sometimes be as corridor with many doors, and our choices can be as a large key ring with many keys. Pastor Tony Evans presents an AWESOME work in "Between A Rock And A Hard Place"; to define the purpose in our decisions clearly and simplify the choices for the correct keys! Don't deny yourself this blessing!!

5.0 out of 5 stars So much to learn on why we go through trials!, January 25, 2011
This review is from: Between a Rock and a Hard Place (Paperback)
Dr. T (As he is affectionately by some of my friends in his flock!) opened my eyes to what it means when you feel like you have no where to turn. I've always wondered why, if I am trying to do the right thing, it is that God allows me to just feel like giving up sometimes. I always use to question my obedience, my faith, my salvation...everything, because it just seemed like one bad thing after another would happen. Why wasn't God "fixing" some of these things if I was trying so hard to do the right thing?

Now I know. Through trials, I become closer to Him. Through trials, I strengthen my walk, my character, my faith. Thank you, Dr. T, for allowing me to wear out a new highlighter on almost every page of your book. I will be forever a changed man because of the way I look at trials now. I will not give up. "I will go in that direction" instead of doing the easier thing!

w.melder@yahoo.com

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Tony Evans (Paperback - September 27, 2010)
$9.99 $9.83