5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, Emotional and Exciting
This wonderful book by Christopher Buehlman is part fairy tale, part fantasy, part horror and part historical fiction. These individual parts blend to create a fulfilling whole in his Cantebury-an story of a fallen knight and spiritually lost priest who journey across France during the plague-ridden middle ages with an orphaned girl who's either an exceptionally special...
Published 21 months ago by Jason Golomb

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly good, except for one thing...
This is an incredibly well-written book, and the imagery and descriptions of the time are among the best I've ever read. From the historical standpoint, it really shines. I loved the "hero", Thomas, as well as the girl and the monk. He writes strong characters that are flawed enough to be interesting. And his evil creatures scared the beejeezus out of me! The...
Published 9 months ago by florida reader

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A darkly terrifying and exciting story., November 11, 2012
This review is from: Between Two Fires (Kindle Edition)
This is the first book I've read by this guy and I'm surprised I've never heard of him because "Between Two Fires" is so well written and vivid. The plague, demonic creatures, a weird little girl being manipulated by an angel, these are all great plots but never have I been so disturbed and so invested in the characters well being in a standalone book. youve got to check this book out: read the sample and then click the buy button, just like me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully Beautiful!!!!, October 26, 2012
This review is from: Between Two Fires (Hardcover)
Between Two Fires is easily one of the greatest books I've read in a long time. Christopher Buehlman is a genius! This book has it all the eternal battle between Heaven and Hell, plague, murder, deceit, sin, and the struggle to find what is right and to pursue it. The characters were very well written I felt an emotional tie to Delphine and Thomas. My heart went out to them through all of their trials and suffering. Christopher Buehlman has created a portal to transport you back through time to some of the darkest days ever experienced on Earth. Through his writing I felt like I was there in the crude vulgarity of everything happening. This being said I think everyone should read this book that is 18 and older due to the language, explicit content, and graphic nature of certain events. Overall though I feel that to make this book have the impact the author was looking for you needed all the crudeness to put you into the scene. This book was brilliant and all I can say is that I suggest you go get yourself a copy. I was fortunate enough to get a copy for free on Goodreads, but after reading it I would have been more than happy to pay for it because it is BRILLIANT!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the last., October 7, 2012
russell (Sanford, nc, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Between Two Fires (Hardcover)
I really loved this book and did nearly from the very beginning. Like "Those Across the River," our hero is a haunted veteran, but here occupies a richly rendered 14th century France where innocence and madness are nearly indistinguishable. It is a time when God lived closer to the hearts and minds of men, yet couldn't seem farther away through the horrific threat of the black death.

Buehlman's sophomore release is nearly pitch-perfect in tone, pacing and character, and his monsters were worthy of St John. It's the best thing this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vivid Imagery and great word smithing!, October 7, 2012
This review is from: Between Two Fires (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book greatly! It was filled with vivid imagery that helps you see, smell and taste the Black Plague. It is a story of a fascinating chess game between above and below... and the ending is not typical, not wrapped in a pretty bow and not anticipated. LOVE IT

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, moving--a book to reread, January 26, 2013
This review is from: Between Two Fires (Hardcover)
This is an amazing book. Stunning, affecting, beautiful. I only just finished it, and after wiping away tears, thinking about it what it meant to me, I already know I will reread this book.

I came to it expecting something different, as probably other readers did as well. This author was recommended to me as a horror writer (probably because of his first novel, which I have not yet read, but I will). I'm an occasional reader of horror, and when I do read it, I prefer less gore and more atmosphere, which is what I expected in this. I also knew, of course, that it was set during the plague years in Europe, and since I also enjoy historical fiction occasionally, I thought I'd give it a read.

I was immediately drawn in by the characters and the story: a knight turned brigand, an orphaned girl who he protects from rape. The only horrors, for quite a long time, were historical: the horrors of plague, the horrors humans routinely subject others to. I began to realize this was not, in fact, a horror novel. And there were angels, and the war between heaven and hell. This was more Milton or Blake than Koontz, but Milton or Blake made accessible. (And I don't mean in terms of specifics here; I mean more in terms of the big themes these works address).

I am not a scholar of the Bible or Christianity, so perhaps I was slow to understand what was happening in this beautiful novel, but for me, it all came together near the end, when I realized who these characters were, and wondered why I hadn't seen it before. Likely other readers will see it quicker than I did (and of course I'm not going to give anything away in this review!), but whether you recognize these characters for the archetypes they finally end up being earlier or later, I think there is great beauty in this book, in the way the characters were created to be both individual (and oh, how real they are, how compelling their stories!) and archetypal. There are horrors aplenty here, but to call this a horror novel is to misrepresent it: this, is, instead a morality play--the powers of good and evil battling, and evil is, yes, drawn in vivid, imaginative detail. Some of the scenes of hell's hosts were horrific indeed, and will stay with me. But is not the point of the novel.

I expected entertainment, and I was entertained. But what I got was something much bigger. I am not a reader easily moved to tears, but this book did it. Because I was left thinking about the nature of good and evil, about forgiveness and redemption, and I ended up considering that in my own life. I am not Christian, and while I recognize the great truths in a variety of faiths, I have not usually been moved by the stories of the Bible or by Christian beliefs (which is why, unfortunately, Milton and Blake do not resonate with me). This book did move me though, and the author did that through beautifully wrought characters, through careful plotting, through asking hard questions. In short, this book changed my ways of thinking and made me consider the nature of redemption and forgiveness. I had to start thinking about forgiveness, and wondering what it demanded of us, and if I was strong enough to be able to offer it. I don't know the answer to that, but this book has started me on a journey--I know that for sure.

I am also a writer and teacher of writing, and can be a bit persnickity about the craft of writing. I was a bit bothered by some of the point of view changes in the novel, as they seem a bit haphazard and not structured as well as I would have liked. I had a few other quibbles on a craft level as I was reading, but in the end, the power of this book overwhelms those complaints: this is simply beautiful, moving, and wise. And it is not simplistic: though I chose to read the end as uplifting, this writer is smart enough to slip in doubt, to make us question how we should read the end. This is a sophisticated and mature book that raises many questions.

If you're looking for a fast read, for a run-of-the-mill horror novel, this is not it. But if you want imaginative, well-wrought historical fiction that delves into some of the big questions we ask of the world, than this may be a novel for you. Thank you, Christopher Buehlman, for writing such a beautiful novel, one that reaffirms my faith in the power of the written word.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating tale, December 26, 2013
This review is from: Between Two Fires (Kindle Edition)
A whole different take on the Black Plague! The story has depth of realism with such exquisite detail of the surroundings and culture of France in the middle ages, all the while spinning a fantastical tale.
The author is a gifted storyteller.
The protagonists are compelling, I could not wait to find out what they were going to do or see next between readings.
Truly a great read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, December 13, 2013
This review is from: Between Two Fires (Kindle Edition)
Christopher Buehlman' s tale is difficult to categorize.

I had been anticipating it for some time, as I was enthralled with "Those Across the River." He certainly does not disappoint. Some reviews I read complained that it was boring, got bogged down in the middle, etc., and I would disagree.

Personally, I liked the pacing. The characters and creatures Thomas met on his trek grew increasingly menacing, and the mystery of the girl seemed to deepen. I really liked the way the "back stories" were revealed a little at a time. (The way we learn about Thomas's and the priest's backgrounds, for example)

SPOILERS:
I admit that I was anxious to see how he would write the great battle scene, and, once more, was not disappointed. I appreciated the author making the final scene something other than the final showdown, and I ALWAYS feel cheated by the "it was all just a dream" trick. Buehlman brings the story around full circle and never cheats.

Many of the scenes are graphic, gruesome even, and this story is not for the faint of heart. I would hesitate to recommend it to anyone who is confused about his/ her faith or who is uncomfortable with the subjects of religion, angels, demons, and the like.

It is well-written, with intense imagery, flawed characters, and is rich in history and lore. I plan to read it again, because I believe it is one of those books that will prove more interesting each time around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Between Two Fires - The Definition of a Page Turner Which Won't Let Go, November 20, 2013
A. Murphy (St. Louis, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Between Two Fires (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't put this novel down, and basically consumed in whole in about three days. This was my first encounter with Buehlman's work, and I intend to dive back in (perhaps in October to add a scary overtone to the horror within the book itself). I enjoyed each part of the story, through the twists and turns - and found myself obsessing about the book when life forced me to put it down. Trying to picture how I would react to the crazy encounters and tests faced by the main characters often occupied my thoughts.

This subject matter isn't for everyone: violence, profanity, and some sexuality. But the stakes of the story were incredibly high, and I enjoyed reading it. I'm excited to visit Buehlman's past works and also to see what comes next from his twisted, brilliant mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars A dream for history and horror buffs., September 9, 2013
This review is from: Between Two Fires (Paperback)
Disturbing and enchanting. Begs to be made into a mini-series. An entertaining new take on a world-weary reluctant hero. Funny without being puerile, scary without relying on cheap gore, emotionally nuanced without leaning on sentiment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every time I set it down I couldn't wait to puck it up again., July 31, 2013
This review is from: Between Two Fires (Kindle Edition)
Loved Those Across the River and decided to give this a read. Enjoyed every heart pounding moment of it. Suspense! Horror! Plague!

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Between Two Fires
Between Two Fires by Christopher Buehlman (Hardcover - October 2, 2012)
$25.95 $18.90
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies