5.0 out of 5 stars Terrifying - Scared the Bejabbers Out of Me!
Published on February 21, 2002 by M. Gill

3.0 out of 5 stars Read with discernment!
In my opinion, Malachi Martin's "Hostage to the Devil" is _the_ book on demonic possession. Having said that, here is my two cents about "Beware the Night":

Published on November 15, 2004 by ViaCrucis

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrifying - Scared the Bejabbers Out of Me!, February 21, 2002
M. Gill (Swoyersville, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beware the Night (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was terrifying to read and some stange things started to occur around the house. I am still not sure what to make of it but the book had me reaching for the Holy Water and getting to confession. Mr. Sarchie states that thinking a lot about demons might actually draw them to you. BEWARE! This book will certainly have you thinking about them. It is not for the feint of heart.
The credibility of the author combined with the fact that this is a factual account makes for a rather shocking book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful and riveting book!, September 9, 2009
This review is from: Beware the Night (Mass Market Paperback)
"Beware The Night" was so fascinating that I could not put it down. I finished the book in just two days. I will admit that the book had me glancing nervously over my shoulder once the sun went down! It was absolutely chilling. Having been a victim of frightening paranormal phenomena myself many years ago, I can empathize with the people that Ralph Sarchie talks about in his book. I greatly admire Ralph and his investigating partner, Joe Forrester, for their dedication and willingness to help people who are being terrorized and oppressed by malevolent preternatural forces. As I can testify from personal experience, these negative spirit beings are very real, and it takes a very special and spiritually strong person to be able to fight them. Not everyone can do the job that Ralph and Joe do, and I feel that people like them are called by God to do this type of work. I feel that "Beware The Night" serves as a powerful warning to those who may be considering experimenting with dark forces that they can't control and that will ultimately destroy them. "Beware The Night" clearly shows that Satan and his legions have no mercy and that their only goal is to destroy mankind. Another very important message in this book is that people don't have to tamper with the occult to become victims of the demonic. Innocent people can be attacked by malevolent forces when they unknowingly move into a house or apartment in which the previous tenants committed some negative act or ritual that drew demonic spirits into the building. But the book shows that there is hope for these unfortunate victims and that with the proper help the evil spirits can be banished from their homes.

The book makes it clear that there are different types of spirits. Some people mistakenly believe that they have a ghost (human spirit) in their home, when they actually have a demon (inhuman spirit) that is causing the havoc. Ralph explains how a person can tell the difference. For instance, he states that ghosts are limited as to what they can do. A ghost can levitate small, lightweight objects, but not much more than that. A demon, on the other hand, can move a 600 pound refridgerator or washing machine. A mere ghost could never do that. Also, only demons can cause objects to materialize and dematerialize. I think that all of this information in the book is extremely important for people to know.

I loved this book. Despite the fact that it was terrifying, it was also very inspirational because it shows the awesome power of God and His Son Jesus Christ and how good will triumph over evil. I would highly recommend "Beware The Night" to others. It is riveting and very well written. I applaud Ralph Sarchie and Joe Forrester. They are true Christian warriors whose work is extremely important in helping to win the battle against the dark, malevolent forces that seem to be increasing in this world.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book that actually gives you a shiver, October 13, 2005
This review is from: Beware the Night (Mass Market Paperback)
Unlike many books on the subject of the supernatural this actually gives you the creeps at times. Too many accounts are far removed from the actual reader, but Ralph Sarchie describes events that are contemporary and close to home and could possibly affect anyone who was reading. From the very start he had me looking over my shoulder and I have never come across a book before that I have felt it best not to read at bedtime. Believe me, you do not want to go to sleep thinking about some of his accounts of demonic possession! A truly memorable read for anyone interested in the supernatural.

5.0 out of 5 stars scary!, June 12, 2014
This review is from: Beware the Night (Kindle Edition)
This book made me want to renew my faith as I have strayed from it. It is a scary thought to imagine being present in these stories. I had some moments where I had to put the book down because my level of fear became intolerable. I commend Ralph for being such a warrior of God. Great read if you aren't too scared to read it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Read with discernment!, November 15, 2004
This review is from: Beware the Night (Mass Market Paperback)

As a Catholic, I would recommend that this book be read with discernment. Officer Sarchie seems sincere in his beliefs, in the Work that he does, and as the co-author of this book. However, at the same time, there were some items that seemed curious and out of place (from a Catholic perspective), such as his references to auras, positive and negative energy, chakras, human spirits caught between two planes of existence, and so on. In other words, at times, what he writes about demonic possession and exorcism does ring true in relation to Catholic beliefs, but at other times, some of what he writes ventures a bit too close to common garden-variety psychic/paranormal pop culture literature.

Also, the reader should bear in mind that the bishop mentioned in this book is not in union with the official Church, and in fact, as a sedevacantist, he does not believe that Pope John Paul II is a valid pope.

You may find this book useful for expanding upon information you may have already obtained from other works on the subject, such as the aforementioned book by Malachi Martin and others. But again, read with discernment!

5.0 out of 5 stars You will leave all your lights on reading this book, July 8, 2014
This book will terrify you! I have never encountered anything like this in this book but it's scary to think demons may be out there. Opens your eyes to the job of NYC police officers at night and what they see. To think a demon can just enter your body is scary as hell. I would love to meet Ralph Sarchie in person and have him autograph the book I bought from Amazon. While reading it at night I had to turn all the lights on as I started to hear things I normally did not. This book will make you think about going to church if you dont already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reading, June 4, 2014
This review is from: Beware the Night (Kindle Edition)
It was fun to read the book and feel like you were right there with him investigating and thwarting evil....without any risks!
Amazing that he has the courage to do what he does but very glad he makes it very clear that he sees a higher power as being the source of his courage.

2.0 out of 5 stars There are better books out there on the same subject-- a case of the movie is way better than the book., August 17, 2014
This is a mixed bag for me. My husband began reading it and found it informative. I gave up after reading a bit because I do not like the over-preachy tone. I certainly found the foreword by Bishop McKenna to be insulting and offensive. Basically, if you aren't Christian-- specifically aren't Catholic-- according to McKenna and Sarchie-- you are the Devil's Gateway. As a scholar of history and the occult, can I say 2 words? Malleus Maleficarum. McKenna's foreword basically said that most folks with psychological problems are possessed of the devil. So, will he start instituting witch hunts and recommend that everyone with a mental disorder get an exorcism?

Do I believe in dark forces that can compel and oppress and possess someone? Yes. Do I believe because I am a non-Christian that I am inviting such forces to control my life and my actions? No.

The film was pure entertainment, I know. But this is a rare case of the movie being better than the book.

I would MUCH rather recommend anything by John Zaffis, Rosemary Ellen Guiley, or the Warrens. They aren't offensive to anyone not of their faith, are more well-grounded, and they can write.

This book has so many grammatical errors, the writing teacher me felt as offended as the non-Christian me. It's co-written by someone I assume is a writer to perhaps compensate for Sarchie not being a writer. It's rambling and there are chock full of grammatical errors that are not for stylistic reasons. There were times I had to reread a passage because I didn't quite get what was being said. Disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars terrifying!!! You will sleep with the lights on for a while friends!, July 21, 2014
I've always told myself in frustration that no book or movie can ever be made scary enough to scare me.....well I was terribly wrong!!! I have never been so horrified! I jumped at every sound and jumped at every little noise for days and especially nights after! Warning! Definitely not for the faint of heart!

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't even finish it!, November 25, 2014
This book is very plainly written as if you are speaking to the guy writing the story. It kind of drove me crazy at first. It is not eloquently written but the stories will chill you to the bone! I couldn't even finish it because as I was reading it I started having strange things happening around our home. I stopped reading it for a couple of weeks and then picked it up again one afternoon, thinking I was just being silly, and sat next to a window to read it and a bird flew into the window. It might sound silly to some but this was the last straw of strange things I had happening. So I put it away without another thought towards it. Some months later, I awoke one night to see a dark figure standing next to my closet facing the closet. It rattled me but I have been prone to spiritual activitie since I was a child which drew me to this book to begin with. A few weeks later my husband and I had just laid down to go to bed when I open my eyes and saw another dark figure in the corner of our room and then heard this loud popping sound in the same area. My husband,who also heard, jumps out of the bed and we could not find the source of the loud bang! Needless to say we were very spooked by this event and shortly after I found that I had stored the book by the closet in our room. We threw it in the trash. I know there are skeptics out there who are going to laugh at this review but let me warn you- if you are prone to spiritual activity do not bring this book into your home! The demonic activity in this book is very real. I believe even discussing it or reading it can bring unwanted activity into your home! Be careful.

Beware the Night
Beware the Night by Ralph Sarchie (Mass Market Paperback - October 14, 2001)
Used & New from: $59.22