Canon EOS 5D Mark II Full Frame DSLR Camera (Body Only) (OLD MODEL)
Used & New from: $1,048.00
Beware: EOS 5D Mk II scam from Kevin Qiu This guy had the camera body listed yesterday for $1422 + $6 shipping - too good to be true, yes? I e-mailed him for more details, at which point the listing vanished from Amazon but he assured me the camera was still available. Today I received what appeared to be an e-mail from Amazon asking for payment to be sent by MoneyGram to someone in Crete, even though the item was to be shipped from someone in Illinois. Contacted Amazon.com; they verified the e-mail was bogus. Be on the lookout for Kevin Qiu using the e-mail address electro.maria.shop@usa.com.
asked by J. W. Sheehan on March 3, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 answers
A
One more time!! Almost went to Money Gram... Mine was also $1282 with shipment from Italy:

-----Original Message-----
Greetings from Amazon Payments

You are buying this unit from Amazon, but credit card payment method is not available for this transaction. The payment method available for this order is Money Gram Money Transfer. This order is covered by Amazon International Payments, this transaction is safe. You have to pay for the transfer with cash at a local Money Gram agency.

Please note the name and address for payment:

First name : VASLE-CLAUDIU
Last name : MIORCANEANU
Address : Via di Saliceto, 79
City/State : Bologna
Postal Code : 40128

For a fast and safe transaction, tell the Money Gram agent you are sending the money to a relative or a family friend (because Money Gram applies additional taxes when the money is sent for business).

Once the payment has been placed you can reply this email with the payment details (send a scanned paper from Money Gram), or fax us the details (1-952-479-3715). After we receive your payment details, we will notice the seller to start the delivery process. Please note we will not release the payment details to the seller, only after you will contact us to confirm us you have received, inspected, and agree to keep the item.

We sent a confirmation to the seller as well, to begin the shipping process.

Please proceed the Money Gram payment as soon as possible to finish the transaction.

Thank you for shopping with us.

Amazon Payments
Earth's Biggest Selection

Update:
Figured I'd keep this going! I also notified/spoke to Amazon. They were quite "interested"! The above FAX number is in MN:
Owner Directory | (952) 479 Numbers
Record Header
Prefix (952)-479
Records in Chaska / MINNETONKA (55318)

Sent a doctored "Money Gram" receipt to "Kevin" with the reference number unreadable, just to get his blood flowing and give Amazon a chance to trace IP addresses.

The return email address to "Amazon Payments" is redirected back to Kevy at "amazon.order@INSTRUCTION.com" - a clearly bogus email.

As soon as "Amazon Payments" gets the receipt, your cash is gone!

Emails:

Greetings from Amazon Payments

Please send again the scanned, because the reference number is not visible.

Thank you for shopping with us.

Amazon Payments
Earth's Biggest Selection

To: amazon.order@instruction.com
Sent: Sat, Mar 5, 2011 1:03 am
Subject: FW: Your Order with Amazon.com

To: 'Dan'
Subject: RE: Your Order with Amazon.com

Hi -

Ok - here is my Money Gram receipt.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thank you -
Dan
Apoplectic1 answered on March 4, 2011
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Amazing. Kevin is a busy guy. I had exact same experience with same outcome (didn't send any money) and spoke to Amazon. Forwarded all my emails from "Kevin" to security. Next, I found a similar listing by Ann M Cseregi. Same scam. Ann M Csergei to me
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,
The Canon EOS 5D Mark II 21.1MP Full Frame CMOS Digital SLR Camera with EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens is new condition ( it just had to be listed as 'Used - Like New' as the box has been opened) comes with all manufacturer supplied accessories, US model,1 year full warranty. It has not been used. The price is $1,633.00 + $7.49 for delivery ( 2 - 3 days by Airmail ). Return policy is full money back in 30 days. If you want to buy send me your full name and delivery address to have your order placed with Amazon.
Thank you
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOW there is another one on there for $1282 for a Used - Like New 5D Mark II it says to contact the seller before placing order and the email address is cleverly included in the listing.
Fishy
G. Martin answered on March 3, 2011
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Since "Kevin" listed an address at a residence hall at the University of Illinois I sent an e-mail to the campus police. They actually contacted me and asked for the e-mails with full header info, which I sent. They've been more responsive than Amazon at this point. BTW, I reported 2 more EOS 5D body scams today - both have been removed.

"Always pay through Amazon.com's Shopping Cart or 1-Click. Your purchase will be protected by the A-to-z Safe Buying Guarantee. Never respond to requests to send funds via wire transfer."
J. W. Sheehan answered on March 9, 2011
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
So "amazon payments" wanted you to lie and say it was for a friend. Yeah, right! I wonder how many people fall for this crap?
Zad answered on March 5, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Here's today's email from "Kevin Qui"

dear sir, what happens to payment? I received confirmation that the package has already arrived in your town. I received a notice from Amazon that says: waiting to be validated payment .....

Hold your breath Kevin, you may get it when the camera arrives at my house in "like new" condition and it can actually be registered at Canon for warranty... LOL
G. Martin answered on March 6, 2011
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The e-mail you quote is exactly the one I got (although the price is different) including the suspiciously low price for airmail shipping. These guys are good.
J. W. Sheehan answered on March 3, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Apparently enough to keep the ruse going.
G. Martin answered on March 5, 2011

A
Got exactly the same e-mail from "Kevin" yesterday. Funny, he said the camera wouldn't be shipped until payment was made, but suddenly the camera is "in your town." He's persistent if nothing else.
J. W. Sheehan answered on March 6, 2011

A
still going now using this email
electricdek@yahoo.com
Simon Elkjær Simonsen answered on March 13, 2011

A
still going using this email address now. Check detail of email address in the "order" you get from him.

electricdek@yahoo.com

payment adress

Payment Address:
First name: Henry
Last name : Marcus
Address: 12 Amphitheas
City: Athens
Zip code: 17564
Simon Elkjær Simonsen answered on March 13, 2011
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›