Beware: EOS 5D Mk II scam from Kevin Qiu This guy had the camera body listed yesterday for $1422 + $6 shipping - too good to be true, yes? I e-mailed him for more details, at which point the listing vanished from Amazon but he assured me the camera was still available. Today I received what appeared to be an e-mail from Amazon asking for payment to be sent by MoneyGram to someone in Crete, even though the item was to be shipped from someone in Illinois. Contacted Amazon.com; they verified the e-mail was bogus. Be on the lookout for Kevin Qiu using the e-mail address electro.maria.shop@usa.com.
asked by J. W. Sheehan on March 3, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 11-20 of 22 answers
A
Similar email recieved in connection with the purchase of a Nikon D90 camera.

hello,
Please contact me at: electricde@yahoo. com
because i went to my office and i can't acces my amazon account right now.
and we discuss in my personal address: electricde@yahoo. com

payment address

First name: Dimitri
Last name : Rendal
Address: 12 Amphitheas
City: Athens
Zip code: 17564
S Loughlin answered on March 13, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I just fell for this one today 5-15-11 and Amazon protected me from it. Most outstanding customer service. The seller was either chinafoodcompany or asiafoodcompany, and they had 100% feedback, but on only 4 sales. The price was $1391 for the LIKE NEW BODY ONLY and I suppose it shouldn't have passed the smell test. Too good to be true. You bet, and it was not true. I hope I get an email from them. The PA Attorney General would probably like to see them in his office. Major kudos to all the Amazon folks. There are some good discussion threads here about lenses and sharpness. One fellow had a focus problem, but another said some Canon lenses need something brighter than f/6 to work right. I digress. I add my 2 cents to say the scammers are still at it, and I'm glad it was at Amazon. I've always been very happy with customer service here, but never more than today.
HARRY MARTZ answered on May 15, 2011

A
wish I would've read this before I clicked Order. I bought a 5DII from 123Stitch. They're a sewing supply seller. I figured maybe they used the camera for taking pictures of their stuff. But after asking them the condition in a message, and buying, and getting an email back saying they don't sell cameras - I figure it was the scam. Hopefully it'll be painless getting a refund from Amazon.
B. Scott answered on June 29, 2011

A
Just encountered something similar. Saw Zoo On Yoo had one for under $1400 and I jumped on it. 3 hours later the order is cancelled. I guess I could expect an email from them impersonating Amazon that the order went through any moment now.
S. Li answered on July 9, 2011

A
I just fell for a Canon 70-200 2.8 IS USM II lens scam with my wife. We ordered a lens from "Holeube," whose email was andrew.gasser@ymail.com. He sent us a receipt from Amazon which looked exactly like a normal Amazon one, and we forwarded the money to his the "Amazon" - i.e., his - account.

I hope Amazon will be kind enough to help us get our money back. 1650 euros - gone.
M. Bethea answered on July 10, 2011

A
Best of luck to you in getting your money back.
G. Martin answered on July 10, 2011

A
Present scam is through Ceylon Teas - the email reply was identical to Kevin's
Ricky answered on September 19, 2011

A
i had the same thing happen. trying to order canon 24-70mm lens for $773.13. when i emailed the seller for info, the item was dropped and i received an email with an amazon order for asking for money sent to greece via moneygram
Cherie answered on November 14, 2011

A
M. Bethea

For next time. Amazon never tries to charge you for money through email.
N. Sanchez answered on December 14, 2011

A
I just had one that was a Nikon D700 in LN condition for under $1600, but it couldn't be ordered since it wouldn't mail to my address. I emailed and the seller told me that it was difficult for him to use Amazon mail and to use his ATT.Net account. Then I was told the money would be held in an Amazon escrow account. I contacted Amazon and was told that an escrow account is on the level, but they said nothing of communications outside of Amazon. The listing disappeared in a few days and a new one appeared with the same merchandise in their storefront and same methods. Sounded too fishy for me, especially at the price. Buyer beware.
thefarb answered on January 10, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›

See all questions about this product