Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Style: Headphones|Size: 32 OHM|Color: Black|Change

on July 25, 2009
I graduated to these headphones from Sony MDR-7506 and never looked back. I'm on my second pair now and for $199, they are worth every single cent and more. These headphones completely engulf your ears and are very comfortable, it feels like two pillows resting against your head. I'm a programmer and I wear these babies all day long. What I really like about them is that you can blast your music and it doesn't escape them so you don't annoy the people around you. On the flip side, once you put them on you can't hear ANYTHING from the outside world which is what I like too. As far as the music goes, pretty bassy and especially suited for rap and hard core techo music with a deep bass line. The pure highs are a bit lacking. But this is a bass head's headphone and I love them. They're also as strong as iron. I can throw them around the room, in my backpack, sleep with them. Hell throw them on the wall for no reason and they're as good as new. The only cons I can think about is that they look pretty stupid when you put them on. They're HUGE. But that's the nice thing about being a programmer you can look as ridiculous as you want.
1616 comments| 202 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 6, 2007
As a radio professional, I demand headphones that are going to give faithful sound reproduction with solid construction. You're putting them on and taking them off every four minutes, and have a cord to walk around and try not to trip over for your other tasks. No matter how religious I've always been about being gentle with them, until I tried Beyer-Dymanics, every single pair I've ever owned has let me down within ten months. Either the wiring cuts out on an ear, and/or a studio mishap sends parts flying.

I've owned my DT770s for over five years. Best investment I've ever made, as headphones go.
33 comments| 155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2009
For me headphones are a very personal sort of thing, so it's hard to rate or recommend it to other people. For me I wanted something with a decent sound stage, good bass, and a comfortable fit. These headphones have that.

These cans have completely changed they way I listen to music, I find myself listening to more and more classical music because it just sounds flat out amazing with these headphones. Rock, metal, and jazz sound equally impressive but be prepared to delete songs as these phones will bring light to shed upon your puny bitrates.

All in all I have to say these phones earn the following (1-5 scale):

Sound Quality (4.8) There's probably better out there but only if your willing to spend $6000 for a speaker setup or $400 for headphones.

Sound Leakage (5) These headphones leak very little sound and also help block outside sounds (like plane engines) very well.

Comfort (5) With their valor earcups (just like the soft bosom of Zap Brannigan's uniform) these headphones are comfortable enough to wear indefinitely! I also found the headband to be less invasive as on other headphones.

Portability (3) These headphones are a bit bulky and I'm not sure how they sound without an amp, I believe a ipod could give these enough juice to run, but I haven't tried it yet.

Value (5) If you can find these for under $200 used or new, the purchase is a no brainer, these are a must buy if you can afford them!

Overall score: 4.5

These are amazing headphones, if you can find them for under $200 buy them immediately if you can't then save up the extra cash and buy them anyway! Overall I am very impressed with them!

---UPDATE 2010----

After well over a year of use, I have decided to move on to another pair of headphones. Despite all the problems I've had with these DT770s Beyerdynamic left such a positive impression on
me that my next pair will probably be the DT 880s.

The issue with the DT 770s seems to be that the right ear cup will develop a jarring rattling/vibrating sound when any low frequency sounds are played. I cleaned the headphones thoroughly and didn't find any hair near the driver. More recently I discovered this was a common issue with the DT 770s and can often be attributed to the lower quality cabling or something wrong with the driver itself. Because of how common this issue is with the 770 line, I dropped my rating by 1 star (though I would have only dropped it by half if I could).

However I was so pleased by the performance and comfort of the DT 770s, that I have not been able to wear any other headphones, sure I thought the K701s sounded better, but that stupid headband and its painful bumps dug into my brain. I've become so spoiled by the construction, feel, and sound of the DT 770s, that I don't think I can use any other headphones unless they use a similar design and velor earcups. These were the only headphones to ever fully cover my large head and elongated ears. So if anyone knows of any non-Beyerdynamic headphones that fit as well as these, let me know, because I have yet to find any!
55 comments| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2014
[REVIEW OF DT-770 PRO 32 OHM]

One of the idiosyncrasies of Amazon tends to be its consolidation of reviews for a product into one gigantic clump. Here, with this headphone being available in an array of impedance variations, one has to carefully read reviews to make sure they are reading one which is applicable to the model they wish to purchase. As noted above, this review is for the 32 ohm model (DT-770 PRO).

Impedance:
The 32 ohm model is a good option for those who wish to use this headphone while they are mobile or paired with devices such as laptops, iPods, MP3 players, tablets, etc. Given its low impedance, it is easily driven directly by my Apple iPod classic 160 GB Black (7th Generation), my SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Black), my HP ENVY M6 TouchSmart Sleekbook Touch Screen Laptop - 15.6" Display / AMD Elite Quad-Core A10-5745M / 8GB Memory / 1TB HD / Windows 8, my COWON X9 4.3-Inch 32GB Touch Screen Video MP3 Player (White) and my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (7-Inch, White). While higher impedance models (e.g., the 250 ohm model) would necessitate being driven through an external amp, the 32 ohm is truly a plug-and-play type of headphone with nothing additional necessary.

Sound:
These offer a decent soundstage, particularly for being a "closed" type of headphone (i.e., not "open" such as the Beyerdynamic DT-990-Pro-250 Professional Acoustically Open Headphones for Monitoring and Studio Applications or those in the Grado line such as the Grado Prestige Series SR125i Headphones). While not necessarily a big, expansive soundstage, it is ok for what they are. That said, those looking for a truly wide, expansive, musicians-in-the-room type of soundstage would do well to look elsewhere. These do offer a natural, yet slightly muddied (which does improve with use) sound, with no overwhelming bass, but just the right amount (it's there, but not overly so), fitting well against the mids and highs. On the topic of highs, the highs here are quite nice and not shrill or piercing. Tweaking things with an EQ can definitely enhance things depending on your tastes/sensibilities, but I found them ok without any EQ manipulation at all. In other words, to put things simply, these headphones sound ok directly out of the box and plugged into your (portable) device of choice. Give them some time, they'll no doubt sound even better.

Build:
Mostly hard plastic, with a metal band. Single, straight (i.e., non-coiled) cable (3m in length) on the left. 3.5mm headphone jack is gold-plated and also included is a 1/4"/6.35mm adapter (also gold-plated). The typical German craftsmanship is here, however it feels a bit less than some of the other in the Beyerdynamic line (e.g. the DT-990 Pro 250). That's not to suggest it feels cheap; but, rather, that it feels like it should be a bit more substantial feeling that it currently is, particularly at its current price point. Nonetheless, it does feel durable and as if it will provide a long time of enjoyment.

The cups are over-ear style and, while smaller than some cups (e.g., some of the cups in the Sennheiser line of headphones - see: Sennheiser HD 380 Pro Collapsible High-End Headphone for Professional Monitoring Use (Black)), I do find they cover my ears comfortably and I have a large head (hat size 8 - or 64 cm.). However, I do have to have these extended as fully as possible in order to fit properly. Also, I do find the cups to be somewhat hot, even after short periods of time (i.e., less than one hour). This is perhaps its biggest drawback for me. As one who travels frequently and internationally, I find I cannot wear these for the entirety of even a short flight without taking them off from time to time. This may not be a deal-breaker for some, but I mention it nonetheless. These also rest reasonably close to the head/face, and do not protrude out excessively or make one look as if they wearing oil drums on their ears.

Extras:
None to speak of. A simple, nylon drawstring bag is included as a carrying "case." The protection offered by the bag is minimal at best and care should be exercised when packing/storing. I've not tried it, but as a possible storage/protection solution, it appears that these headphones will fit in the Slappa Full Sized HardBody PRO Headphone Case (SL-HP-07).

In Short:
All in all, a good piece of German craftsmanship, delivering a nice, full, natural, only slightly muddied/recessed sound, offering ease of use and portability, all at a reasonable price. For those willing to invest the time, these will likely sound even better after a great deal of use.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
22 comments| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2014
I have the 250ohm version of this headphone. it's my work headphone, and I pair it with a schiit modi and vali stack. I stream spotify premium (320kbps quality), and listen about 4-6 hours a day (desk job). so I get A LOT of time with these headphones, more so than any of my others. these replaced my ath m50x as my work headphones.

ok so background out of the way, lets talk dt770! simply put, these are one of my favorite headphones, period. they're not my best sounding headphone by a significant margin. but I still love these headphones. so lets discus why! i'll save you a super long technical breakdown of the sound, there's lot of that online, I'm only giving you my impressions.

first, build quality and comfort. excellent! these are by far some of the most comfortable headphones I've worn. only my hd598 come close from a comfort perspective. I personally like the beyer comfort more. I prefer the larger ear cups. the velour ear pads are excellent, they're soft, well made with rich material, and fit oh so well. my only nitpik would be for a slightly softer inner padding for the ear pads. they're every so slightly on the stiff side. but only slightly. all in all 4-6 hours a day and no discomfort, hard to beat, no? build quality is excellent as well. they feel strong, precise, and very durable.

ok lets talk sound. they have a very V shaped sound signature. lows and highs are emphasized, with more shallow mids. very very similar sound signature to the ath m50x. but I find the mids on the beyers to be better. bass is excellent. it's potent with great impact and extension. yes it does get muddy, but I'm ok with it. an amp tightens up the bass tremendously. I've heard the 80 ohm version and it has far more bass compared to the 250ohm version. the 250ohm is a more balanced headphone. but still bassy, lets get that straight. highs are bright, no way around it. they can be piercing at times with bright song tracks. I personally don't mind it, but if you're sensitive to highs, these might not be for you. the m50x has better highs honestly. less bright with more detail. but I love the energy in the beyer highs. i'll deal with occasional sharpness. mids are decent, nothing more, nothing less. they're the least accomplished of the 770's sound signature. they are a bit shallow and can be every so slightly overshadowed by the bass on bass heavy tracks. again I personally don't mind the mids, but if you're a mid lover, maybe look elsewhere. now for a closed can with a V shaped sound signature, the mids are not bad at all. but compared to some of my open headphones with more quality mids, they're lacking.

despite the quirks and flaws with the sound signature, these are just fun headphones to listen to. they do well with just about any genre, though vocals suffer ever so slightly with the recessed mids. but for an all around fun headphone these are my top choice. being a closed headphone, they isolate extremely well. they block a lot of outside noise, and don't bleed out much sound, so they're perfect for a quiet office. even at my LOUD volume levels, my cube mates don't notice them except when I take them off. then they look at me like I'm crazy for having them on so loud haha.

being 250ohm they need an amp to really shine. they pair very well with the schiit modi and vali. the vali tames the bright highs ever so slightly, and gives excellent control to the bass. the schiit magni I do not think is a great pairing due to it's slightly colder and brighter sound signature. the magni brings out slightly more detail with the 770, but also accentuates the brightness of the headphone. with the magni I'm more prone to wincing from the highs. finally, the fiio e12 is a very good portable amp for the 770. it has plenty of power, and good control and dynamics. it also helps tame the bright highs, like the vali does. it lacks the schiit's detail, but still sounds excellent.

so bottom line, if you are in the market for a closed headphone with big bass, and a fun sound signature, the 770 should definitely be on your list to try out. they're well built, comfortable, and just plain fun to listen to. they have their quirks, they're not nearly the best sounding headphone for the price, but I still love them all the same. if you're not willing to use an amp, get the 32ohm version, it's much easier to drive. if you want the biggest bass impact, get the 80ohm version. if you want the most balanced, get the 250 ohm version. if you like a flat sound signature....keep looking!
66 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2014
I currently own a set of Audio Technica ATH M50s and a FIIO E6; I use an iPod Classic as my source. They are excellent headphones, however, they leak too much sound. It really annoys me when the person next to me can hear what I'm listening to.

So after hours of researching on head-fi I was convinced that I had to give these a try. According to the forum these are the best passive noise isolating headphones for this price range.

ISOLATION:
These definitely leak less sound than the Audio Technicas, but they still leak a little. In order to fix this, I purchased a set of original leather pads on Amazon. They are made by Beyerdynamic and cost around $30. It barely leaks any sound now, and I usually listen at a 75% volume.

DRIVABILITY:
The ATHs are easily driven by an iPhone/iPod because they are 38 Ohms, however, these cans are 80 Ohms so don't expect great sound coming from these without a proper amp; especially if you're using a mobile device to drive them.
I recommend the FIIO E12 Mont Blanc. It's $129 and it drives these DT 770s without a hassle. There's also a Bass Boost button, which helps out a lot. The battery lasts about 12 hours and it looks AMAZING!

SOUNDSTAGE:
The soundstage on these babies is really wide, you can actually point out where a specific instrument is located. The instruments are very well separated. Listening to music is much more personal, it really feels like you're sitting in the front row at a live concert.

BASS:
Very clean and tight bass. I found it to be less intrusive than in the ATH M50s and not so overpowering. The bass definitely improved after 100 hours of burn in and after replacing the stock velour pads for the Beyerdynamic leather pads.

COMFORT:
Very comfortable to use during long listening sessions. You will feel a difference however If you change the stock velour pads and get the leather ones. But nonetheless, they are very comfortable headphones.

Overall, these are amazing for the price, I mean, think about it.. Besides the ATH M50s, which other closed headphones are worth buying for less than $300? There really aren't that many.

The one negative thing that bothered me the most was the cable. It's 10ft long and it isn't coiled. Of course, you can always have it replaced or just braid it.

I'm very happy with the Audio Technica ATH M50s, and I'm super happy with these Beyerdynamics. So if you can, just get both!

UPDATE 03/05/14:

-These are still in great condition, the bass has been getting better and better.

-The build quality is great! I've tossed them around inside my backpack and they are still in mint condition.

-Buy a powerful amp! The Fiio E12 works phenomenally with these cans.

-If you plan to use these out on the streets, please do yourself a favor and braid the cable. They are less annoying this way.
on March 30, 2014
First off. I purchased these mostly in anticipation for virtual reality. I am aware that open headphones have a better sound stage and sound more "believable" than closed. But I have a noisy household, and I often game near my sleeping girlfriend. So for me these were the obvious choice.

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe

Overall sound and comfort:
- So very comfortable with the velour pads. Maybe a little tight? But I can still wear them for a few hours before they bug me enough to warrant a 5 minute break. The headband is also comfortable and replaceable.
- As for the overall sound quality my sound card does well with powering them, haven't tried anything else except for my previous Astro Mixamp Pro and boy did they sound WAY worse through that. The bass is perfect, very complementary for me, not over powering at all. I won't get much into mids and highs because frankly most people aren't audiophiles, they sound damn good to me.

Music:
- I love listening to music in these bad boys, they sound much better than my friends m-50's (we both agreed) Bass is great in techno, but i've loved every genre with these.

Gaming:
- I mostly use these in conjunction with the virtual surround sound effect on my sound card. First game I played through was Metro: Last Light and my god! I ALWAYS game on these now, I watch movies on them. Everything. The sound quality is just so good I can't use my speakers. It's changed the way I experience my games ever since my first go. Playing on the highest settings, 1440p, with my DT770's. It's seriously a "different" experience than anything I've wever tried. This is now the only way I play my games. You don't miss a single sound. Hearing everything the way the devs wanted you to just makes me all giddy :D

Virtual Reality:
- I use these with my DK1, for myself and demos to people. While open headphone would be more life like, I enjoy being able to put people into Affected and have them totally blocked off to the world except for the one they're now in. Even with 3 people watching and talking and laughing they can be immersed and not distracted in the least bit. The surround sound is also nice in the Rift with these, looking around and actually hearing things where they are is bizarre to say the least. Only time will tell how these fair with binaural sound engines.

Overall these headphones have changed the way I consume entertainment as a whole. I have nice speakers which I use for parties and friends. But when it's just me alone. I also pick these up. Nothing can beat the quality. I crave it.

STEALTH EDIT: My only con is the coiled cable. I hate it, it's heavy and cumbersome, I just bought a male to female aux cord to attach to my desk to make this less of an issue. I recommend you do the same.
on November 19, 2011
Once upon a time, I owned a pair of Stax electrostatic headphones that pretty much blew away everyone who heard them -- including me, of course. The sound truly was phenomenal, but there were other things that weren't so great: For one thing, they were far from durable, and with me, "fragile" just hasn't ever been a good idea with headphones. For another, they required a separate driver unit, which was cumbersome. Finally, the ear cups were not comfortable at all. Still and all, I used those headphones for many years and was always knocked out by the open, powerful sound of them.

They finally fell apart. Meanwhile, my interests had expanded to include a home studio. After being disappointed by lots of different phones, INCLUDING various models of Sennheiser and AKG, I found these, and I've never been happier.

These are the only non-electrostatic phones that rival my old Stax cans. I love them in my home recording studio because they do not add or subtract ANYTHING from the music; I can play back whatever I'm working on in these or on my monitor speakers and feel I'm hearing essentially the same thing.

Probably needless to say at this point, but hook them up to a good music receiver or amp/preamp combo, and the result is quite stunning -- the soundstage feels big enough, but there's an intimacy I enjoy, too. Recently, I've even been using them for movies if I'm up late and don't want to disturb my wife. Of course I'd prefer surround for watching films, but last week watched the Blu-ray version of "Apocalypse Now" and was thrilled with the results.

In addition, the 770s are one of the most comfortable sets of phones I've ever owned.

I've read some reviews accusing these phones of being boomy. In the end, the beauty of music is in the ear of the beholder, though, and I have never, ever perceived any boominess with these. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I would recommend these to anyone.
on December 26, 2005
I just purchased a pair of these headphones in the 80 ohm version as opposed to the 250 ohm model listed under this header. The two are similar products used for different applications but like any audio product you have to hear them for yourself.

Despite the subjectivity disclaimer, I will say these cans have a seemingly more flat response compared to the Sennheiser HD280 and the Sony MDR7506 I auditioned side-by-side in the store. The mid-range response of the dt770's was the best quality- because you can actually pick out the mids. The high frequency response was articlate without being pushy, a big factor for me. In contrast, the Sony phones seem to feature an aggressive and unrefined response in the high frequency. Otherwise the Sonys are fine for $100. The Sennheisers (also $100) seem to isolate better than both the Beyers and the Sonys, but I found the Beyers the most comfortable of the three. I don't have big ears, but the Sonys seem to have little chiclet ear cups and isolated the least of the three. The Senns are definitely worth the $100, but I can't figure out why the Sonys are audio industry standard headphones with that almost prickly high pitch response.

I picked the Beyers even though they cost twice as much as the other two because of the exceptionally even response I got from them. When I took them home I tried them out on every little lo-fi device I could find, and they continually made me shiver with their fidelity and overall tempered sound. Do you want to 'hear' your headphones influencing the music? I don't.

The Beyer's base response was hearty, maybe due to lightweight transducers that reproduce sound more efficiently than most cans. But for me it was hearing the mids, a range that humans don't pick up as easily as bass or high pitch sounds, that made these worthwhile. If you want super high quality phones, pick these up.
1010 comments| 106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2013
The comfort of these headphones is unrivaled. I tested a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Professional Studio Monitor Headphones with Coiled Cable which sounded awesome and met all my expectations, except they were awfully uncomfortable for long periods of time and made my ears sweat. I was constantly letting fresh air in to help with comfort, very annoying. I then tested a pair of Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones and decided while absolutely comfortable and sound great using the foam removal mod, open ear headphones are just too loud for the environments I work in. I also considered the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro Collapsible High-End Headphone for Professional Monitoring Use (Black) which are very similar to closed 558s, these felt very cheap and questioned their longevity. I decided it was worth spending the cash on the Beyers. They are the only headphones in my price range that were not made in China (My DT 770s were Made in Germany!) and the sound quality is remarkable at this price range. No regrets here!

I absolutely LOVE these headphones. I opted for the 80ohm phones so that they could be driven (barely!) without an amplifier. Paired with my iPhone 5, the highest output level was just at my optimal listening volume (which most people may say is too loud). Also, this was the only pair of headphones that fit my iPhone case after removing the 1/4 adapter. The others required the phone to be removed from the case! Along with the Fiio E07K Andes USB DAC and Portable Headphone Amplifier Black and Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter (MD821ZM/A) I have found the most versatile and incredible portable setup. These products all sound amazing together!

I also recommend the SLAPPA Full Sized Hardbody Pro Headphone Case which fits the DT 770s very snug and has just enough room for my portable FiiO DAC and cables.
review image