4.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound for the Money, Not Perfect
First off, I've owned many impressive IEMs over the past ten years. From the Shure e4c, e500, and se535, I've had plenty of hours of sonic excellence. That being said, leaving a $500 set of earphones on an airplane is hard to stomach.

Published on July 10, 2012 by C. Patterson

2.0 out of 5 stars From the beginning a questionable purchase
I'm going to describe my experience with these headphones in a chronological way, and to make some parts of this adventure easier to follow, I'll dissect the most important parts of these headphones:
- Part A is the base connected to the cable (the one in the picture with the Beyerdynamic brand and the side of the headphone),
- Part B is the grey cylinder that...
Published 7 months ago by Tafer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound for the Money, Not Perfect, July 10, 2012
C. Patterson (San Francisco Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Beyerdynamic DTX 71 iE In-Ear Headphone - Grey/Gold (Electronics)

So I was looking for an inexpensive (sub-$75) set of earphones for general use with a reasonably good sound quality. I'm not expecting sonic excellence, but I don't want to degrade myself to the stock white earbud syndrome (and the required low bitrate MP3 required to not scream out in pain at how badly it sounds).

I've owned Beyerdynamic over the ear headphones before, some quite nice ones actually (the 880's, for those familiar with the brand).

These dynamic earbuds are pretty solid in sound. They are dark (highs and mids are nowhere near as present as the more analytical earphones listed above). This can be good, this can be bad, depends upon your needs. Bass is very present, if not overly so for an in-earphone. If you're listening to modern music (particularly electronic music, dubstep, etc.) you should be happy with these.

Fit is iffy, and the very limited selection of ear rubbers has me a big distraught. I'm trying to find other tips that will work, but the opening is huge and I'm not sure what's out there yet. The stock tips suck, it's hard to get a seal, and you have to run the cable over and behind your ears to keep them stable in your ear -- and this is while standing still. I can't imagine these working at all while running/walking.

For the price, these would be 5 star units if the fit kit was better, but S/M/L of the flappy rubber tips is nothing compared to a good collection of adjustable foam tips and such that you get with other IEMs. Thus, only a 4 star review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid IEMs for this price range, May 24, 2013
I bought these largely based on Head-Fi "Multi-IEM Review - 281 IEMs compared" thread. I was looking for something with a high build quality (because I have a history of accidentally destroying IEMs), under $100, and with at least 7/10 sound quality. I like the silver and black styling on these. The build quality is good, although the cord holds it's shape (as other reviewers have mentioned). I find the jack makes a satisfying click and is very secure when inserted. They carrying case is nothing special, and I a couple more sizes of tips would be nice. As far as sound signature goes they are a bit bass heavy, but not overwhelmingly so, and they are otherwise pretty neutral. I have had good results EQing the bass bump down. Sound quality is good for the price, although you could get significantly better at a higher price point. Although they are not perfect, they are exactly what I expected and they are an excellent value, so I am giving them 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound, April 16, 2013
This is my first pair of HIFI headphones... Sort of a test to see what all the hype is about, and man am I impressed. I hear my music in a way Ive never heard before. Ive had all my friends try them out and thay all say its like nothing they have heard, and that they are very pure sounding.

My only complaint is that unless you tuck the wires into your shirt or something a lot of noise is transfered up the wires. which is pretty annoying. the wires also have a strange tendancy to maintain their shape if you coil them up, even very loosely. So the wires look very tacky and are all over the place if you don't tuck them in.

2.0 out of 5 stars From the beginning a questionable purchase, June 23, 2014
- Part B is the grey cylinder that contains most of the headphone's mechanisms,
- Part C is the one connected to part B that holds the rubbers that go into your ears.

1st day, after opening the shipping box: this package looks like this stuff was a bootleg, but since this was bought directly from Amazon, it has to be the real deal.
1st day, first sound impressions: Not impressed by the sound, my previous (much more cheaper) Sennheisers had better sound overall, I hope it'll get better with time.
2nd day, street use: I'm noticing that If the cables are touched by anything, the sound "leaks" into the cables, this includes walking.
2nd day, public transport: Overall good isolation.
2nd day, extended use: No irritation, in general very comfy headphones.
30th day: Sound remains unimpressive, cable noise remains, still comfortable.
60ish day: headphones break, part B is separated from part A. After a relative easy (but messy) work with super glue, the headphones were repaired. The unremarkable sound quality remains the same.
3rd month: headphones break again, once again part B is separated from part A, but this time from the other headphone. The same procedure is applied and once again they work.
6th month: After a dramatic change of my daily routine I not longer need to leave my home. These headphones are barely used after this time.
2nd year: Without much use, the headphones break once again, this time part C got separated from part B. The usual super glue fix is performed killing 70% of the volume of the affected headphone. The pair is finally discarded.

While comfortable and with a good noise isolation (leaving behind the cable issue), I seriously can't recommend these headphones to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars great cheap headphones, hard to beat them, November 29, 2013
Great for the phone, I love the sound although I am a Grado fanboy. The sound is great and they are super comfortable. The puoch is a nice touch

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality fair price, March 3, 2014
Light weight , looks good, very nice sound quality , handy carry case would recommend to everyone for use on I-pad etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vastly improved hearing and a comfortable fit, February 8, 2014
Maureen C. Needham (SANTA BARBARA, CA, US) - See all my reviews
The sound quality is very good and very comfortable fit. Recommend to anyone, heard of hearing or not! A great gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars Full, Even Sound Reproduction, January 24, 2014
Keith Mounts (Germantown, MD United States) - See all my reviews
These instruments produce a great frequency sound stage - highs, mids, low all sound very nice indeed. I had a pair of Beyerdynamic headphones purchased back in the early 90's and always liked them. This is my first purchase from the company since then and they still produce wonderful headphones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, January 24, 2014
Works flawless... great sound. Value for money is superb.
If you want high quality sound, Beyerdynamic is the brand of choice

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound for the price, January 15, 2014
Good sound for the price. The best ear buds I've personally owned but also the most expensive, so far... A happy customer with this purchase and Amazon's service...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›