Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Beyond Belief: Finding the Strength to Come Back
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 18, 2011
I have always loved baseball - and now have a reason to love it even more - Josh Hamilton, Texas Rangers stand out, and 2010 American League MVP. The book chronicles the rise and downfall of the number one pick of the Major League Baseball draft in 1999. Josh took a turn for the worse in the minor leagues by getting addicted to tattoos, alcohol, and drugs. The best part of this book is the story of grace - God - the Hound of Heaven pursuing Josh despite his rebellion and out of control life-style.

The book gave me a new appreciation for the amazing grace of God, the patient love of grandmas, and the power of never giving up on people no matter how down and out they may seem. Josh literally went from rags to riches, to rags to riches again. It is a story that will inspire anyone battling addictions, or those who want to help those with addictions.
on February 12, 2014
Started reading this hoping it would be enlightening and motivating for an alcoholic family member (who had also used harder drugs in the past). Not great writing, but not bad. Realistic, entertaining, and inspiring until I read about Josh 's public relapses after publishing. Considering the decades of hiding and lying I have seen within my own family, temporary sobriety but underlying belief "a little alcohol here n there makes my life better" (in between atrocious binges, drunk driving, and near death consequences), I can't help help but wonder how much we don't know about Josh 's private thoughts and motivations...and no longer think this book is one I want can wholeheartedly recommend. It may help some understand the struggle addicts face, but I was not and am not convinced Josh fully understands his own personal needs/thoughts well enough to stay away from "recreational" drugging and doping...especially in the case of socially approved drinking.
on April 26, 2015
An excellent well written book. Two things I noted as I read the book. The first part of the book never mentioned God, going to church or being involved in other religious activities. To me It also pointed out the need for more than one passion in life.
on March 6, 2015
I read this book with heaviness of heart and joy. Josh Hamilton's struggle and the suffering he caused to all who loved him. His courage to overcome with the help of God and people who cared was amazing. It is a book for all to read for all of us have our struggles and like Josh can overcome.
on April 10, 2015
I read this book in a couple of hours on Opening Day of the 2015 baseball season on the cusp of Josh Hamilton's most recent relapse. I have been a fan of Hamilton's for a number of years and wanted to learn of his journey through his addiction and I was not disappointed. This is a raw, moving account of a very talented man who fell face first into the use of drugs and watched his baseball career plummet while he dug deeper into the hideous world that is the drug culture. The book is a fast read not because it is poorly written by any means...it is a man talking to the reader with frank candor and honesty. It is a man bearing his soul for the reader and taking responsibility for his actions. The reader will get to know the incredible people in his life, especially his remarkable wife, who loves Hamilton not for his baseball skills or his money but for himself. I wouldn't give this book to my young nephew just yet...the pages can be a bit graphic, but I would offer this book to anyone going through the gripping life of an addict, as well as their families. Hamilton has the right idea...he realized that he had to place his life in the hands of God before he could begin to recover, and with the help of his faith, family, and the Anaheim Angels, he will overcome his most recent relapse. I highly recommend this book, and I wish Josh Hamilton the very best of luck in his ongoing mission toward permanent recovery.
on July 1, 2015
Josh Hamilton's comeback story is most definitely inspiring. I am not a baseball fan and have no experience with addiction, but that didn't matter when I started reading this book. Hamilton's spirit is easy to connect with and keeps you wanting to read so you can see him come out of the hellish hole that he finds himself in. His journey is faith-based, specifically Christian, so keep that in mind as well before you make your purchase.
on November 17, 2008
How many ballplayers have an autobiorgraphy out, even though they've played less than two years of Major League Baseball? Just Josh Hamilton, as far as I know....and it's justified. He has a pretty unique story.

Hamilton became a nationwide sports "celebrity" in July of 2008 after putting on an incredible display of power hitting at the MLB's "Home Run Derby" at the All-Star Game in Yankee Stadium. Suddenly, the rest of the baseball world wanted to hear his story, so here is his autobiography.
Suffice to say,it's not a pretty one but at least he's honest.

Josh had everything, including the world of baseball right where he wanted it, but ruined his life and almost killed himself with drugs, only to rise from ashes and be the star he is right now. This is a human interest story, an inspiring story, not a baseball book.

Hamilton pulls no punches and takes the blame for his actions. In today's world, that's refreshing. This book is almost like one, long confession, but it's also meant to inspire others who feel there is no way they can beat their drug addiction. Included here is his relationship with Jesus Christ and how that helped him clean up his act. For those wary of being preached to, that's not what this book is. Hamilton is also clear about that, too.
on August 5, 2013
This autobiography surprised me. I like sports but am not a big fan of baseball, yet this is a human story more than about a particular game. Josh opens his soul and shares his greatest victories at bat and on the mound, but especially in his triumph over addictions. This very readable story shares the rise, fall, and steep climb back into health and vitality from the point of view of a young man who has everything to live for, but must learn the value of his own life. I had heard thirdhand accounts of drug addiction but this firsthand account opened my eyes to the real grit of the daily decisions, or maybe lack of decisions, that lead to drug use and the lack of motive to get out. I now better understand the people who continue to use, and see how someone I love could not make it out of the pit.
on October 3, 2015
Well written, captivating, and inspiring. I never heard of Josh prior to reading his book and I've not been a big baseball fan either since following the KC Royals back in the late 70's, early 80s. But I loved this book because of the hope it provides and everyone is affected by addiction.
on April 16, 2014
If you like baseball or just like reading a book about the life of someone who had everything and yet let his life spiral out of control through drugs and alcohol, this is a good book. It's a true story written by Josh Hamilton. It's a sad story from the perspective that drugs and alcohol has a grip on so many people and yet Josh Hamilton turned his life around. Would recommend.