5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Sunscreen!!!
Published on June 30, 2008 by B. Patton

2.0 out of 5 stars STAINS!
Published 16 months ago by Alicia

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Sunscreen!!!, June 30, 2008
On a recent boating trip my husband got sunburned, even though he had been wearing a 45 SPF Banana Boat sunscreen. He was told Beyond Coastal was more effective and used higher quality ingredients than other sunscreens , thus a little more pricey. He used it, loved it, and brought some home. I used this on an all day trip to the beach with no shade. The kids were in and out of the water and in direct sun all day and no one got burned, even though I didn't re-apply after swimming. I have not been able to find it in the stores so I was very glad to find Amazon carries it and will be stocking up. I love the fact that they use all organic ingredients and their products are paraben and paba free so I feel great about using them on my kids. I even use it on my face- the SPF 30. They also make a very soothing after sun lotion, which we've tried and liked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sunscreen, August 23, 2010
This review is from: Beyond Coastal Active Spf 34 Sunscreen (Sports)
I learned about this sunscreen from EWG website. I was looking for a safe non-mineral sunscreen (I love the idea of mineral sunscreens, but the white residue is a deal-breaker). This sunscreen is fabulous! It's easy to apply and absorbs very quickly. The texture is nice: not heavy and yet not runny. It's on the pricier side, especially when compared to drugstore options. But, in my opinion, the cost is well worth it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Rubs in well. Slight smell as the only downside., September 24, 2010
This review is from: Beyond Coastal Active Spf 34 Sunscreen (Sports)
PROS:
*Rubs in really well, and doesn't leave you white unlike most "physical block" sunscreens. In fact, this rubbed in better than the other tube of regular "non-natural" sunscreen I used (Coppertone Water Babies, Pure & Simple).
*Not greasy, shiny, or heavy. Comfortable to have on my skin all day.
*Waterproof, as promised on the tube.
*Protected me well. I had no sunburns.
*Natural ingredients. No parabens etc. Good EWG ratings. Though note, this is still a chemical-block sunscreen, and not a physical block.

CONS:
*Stock up, because you'll have to use a little bit more of this sunscreen than your regular "non-natural" sunscreen, because this sunscreen is thicker. But note, thicker does not mean harder to rub in. This was much much easier to rub in for me! (See 1st bullet point.)
*Slight smell, which bothered my slightly but may not bother others. I don't know if it's the shea butter (which I don't like) or something else in the ingredient list. The smell stayed on my swimwear slightly too, until I finally came home from vacation and washed my swimsuit in the washing machine on gentle cycle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall I'm satisfied with the switch., August 1, 2012
This review is from: Beyond Coastal Active Spf 34 Sunscreen (Sports)
Like many who are probably considering this product, I came across the EWG's report on the relative toxicity of more commonplace brands of sunblock. Mine fell under the moderate risk category and it was enough to prompt me to investigate some of the low risk recommendations they had made. At the end of the day, I'm sure I would be surprised how many toxic products are a part of my daily life, and sometimes with something like that, ignorance is bliss. But I figured it couldn't hurt to remove at least one this summer.

First, I like its consistency. It's thick, similar to a shea butter based moisturizing cream. That means it doesn't run, leak out of the bottle, or drip while you're using it. It's also easier to see where you've applied it. Despite that, it rubs in rather easily and doesn't require as heavy of a coating. I'm a guy with a fair amount of hair on my arms and legs and I've definitely used far worse when it comes to potential clumping and gooping when applying to those areas. It works in and only really shows if you've put a lot on.

Sun protection as far as avoiding sunburns has been great. I've spent several hours at the pool, in a lake, and playing golf without a single burn to speak of. I haven't felt the need to reapply even after a dip or some heavy sweating. That being said, you can see it run off a bit when you do, so I'm sure if you had a full day in the sun it'd be wise to consider doing so.

The negative for it is true of most sunblocks. It inevitably works its way into your eyes, and when it does, it stings. Taking a dip or trying to wipe around your eyes gently with a t-shirt or towel is only so helpful. It seems to happen a bit more quickly than with my old sunblock. Not sure if that's the product of it being water resistant rather than "waterproof", and/or that's just how it goes with some of the more chemically friendly sunblocks. Just the simple unfortunate truth that what protects your skin can be hard on the eyes. It's an inconvenience, but has not been been enough to make me reconsider. I don't personally think it's an issue that's unique to this particular product, and I recently ordered their face stick to see if that proves a bit more friendly on the eyes.

I went with the 4 oz. tube, which was a bit of an adjustment after regularly using a much larger 8 oz. bottle of another sunblock. I've heard they sell larger tubes, but as of now they are not available on amazon. It is true that you will likely find yourself using less because of the thicker consistency. You feel like you're covered more quickly and more adequately with less.

I'm neutral towards the scent. I smell shea butter personally, which is more pleasant than the unnatural chemical smell that my last sunblock had, but my Dad's not a fan of it. I've gotten a fair amount of it on t-shirts, polos, and my bathing suit without any signs of damaging or unwashable stains. So all in all I've embraced it as my sunblock of the summer and would recommend it if you came across the EWG study and are looking into some more chemically friendly alternatives to whatever you might be using now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sunscreen review, July 6, 2010
Non-greasy,light feeling and using daily on my face and neck. Provides good protection and does not contain the harmful chemicals of most major brand products. I recommend this product for anyone who wants a chemical based sunscreen that is easy on your skin and your body, and provides good protection.

2.0 out of 5 stars STAINS!, May 3, 2013
Alicia (Indiana, USA) - See all my reviews
I was excited to find a sunscreen that wasn't a "physical" blocker (didn't want to deal with the ghostly white skin and coming off in the water) and that was less toxic than other mainstream sunscreens. The pros - it rubs in easily and the smell is tolerable. We've only used it one day so far so I can't speak for how well it prevents sunburn, but my kids didn't get burned that day so as far as I know, it works on that front. Unfortunately, I'm seriously disappointed that this has ruined clothes. It left a yellow ring all around the collar of my son's light gray shirt. Not a huge deal, I figure we'll just wear darker colors when using the sunscreen. WRONG - it also stained horribly on a deep pink shirt of my daughter's. It left white smudges all over one sleeve, even after soaking in hot water with Oxiclean. So, we either have to wear ratty clothes any time we use the product, or ruin every outfit we own. I'm really sad to have to go back to the drawing board with finding the perfect sunscreen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chemical smell, but effective and easy to rub in, June 21, 2011
SunsetDweller (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Maybe this makes me a bad mom, but I don't have the patience to deal with mineral sunscreens. My squirmy kids are medium-tone skinned and it takes a very long time for mineral screens to get rubbed in/absorbed. The few mineral screens that seem to rub in fast all have poor ratings with EWG for higher levels of toxicity, so I stopped using them. After going around in circles between too hard to rub in and too toxic, I finally found Beyond Coastal. It is twice the price of the Banana Boat Kids sunscreen I had been using, but equally effective. And half as toxic. It is super easy to apply; my kids can even do it themselves (they are 3 and 6). Any cream that is easy to apply, effective, and non-toxic rules in my book. Wish Amazon offered a bigger discount for ordering larger quantities or ounces. Until them, I'll just have to spend most of my spare income on this product - beats skin cancer. The chemical smell is noticeable for the first 15 minutes. Also, reapplication is necessary after swimming - it's not too waterproof. So be prepared to spend even more $$$$ if your kids are swimmers. BUT...again, beats skin cancer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Sunscreen, April 9, 2010
Wimsey (Arlington, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Nice product. Not too greasy. Rubs in quickly and easily. Orderless. The only drawback is cost. It is much more expensive than others sunscreens. I guess that you get what you pay for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Leaks into eyes, September 23, 2010
This stuff rubs in great! It has no smell and leaves almost no residue. Unfortunately I have found that it wastes no time migrating into my eyes. When it does boy does it burn!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sunscreen, August 15, 2010
This review is from: Beyond Coastal Active Spf 34 Sunscreen (Sports)
So I have been working my way through the EWG suggested sunscreens and I have to say this is my favorite. It has very light smell that reminds me a little of cake batter. The four ounce size is a great deal. The sunscreen is a little more lotion like than the mineral sunscreens and it rubs in very well and does not turn me the white-blue that California Baby and Loving Naturals leaves me. It is stays on and lasts a long time. I am pretty pale and burn easily and this will last me a solid 4-5 hour bike ride, if I am not wiping off my sweat all the time.

Beyond Coastal Active Spf 34 Sunscreen