Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Showing 1-10 of 21 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on September 22, 2000
Wynn and Elizabeth Delaney's two adopted children are now grown, Henry serving as a Mountie, and Christine starting her adult life in the workforce. Both are forced to relocate miles away from the parents they love and the family life they miss.
This book parallels the lives of these two young people. For Henry, the memory of an earlier encounter with a young widow haunts him day and night...until he runs into her again in a most unusual circumstance. The girl re-enters his life under an alias. In spite of her constantly ignoring him, Henry is consumed with protecting her and becoming a father figure to her 5 yr. old son, Danny.
Christine, 18, is taking her first job and while living in one room at a boarding house receives an offer from her wealthy boss. He wants her to come live in his expensive, large home in exchange for cooking his dinners. She declines, but in the process meets her boss's son, Boyd. Boyd is a spoiled, wild, lazy, drinking, university student with a completely different set of values from Christine's. They eventually do become engaged, which holds the reader on pins and needles.
This book deals with family issues of the day, apparently just before a great war is to start. It takes place in Canada, and seems to be set just before WWI. Family trust and values are stressed, along with the empty nest of Elizabeth and Wynn. Strengths of this book are the religious and family values carried on by both grown adopted children.
I found it rather unusual for Oke to introduce for the first time, issues which deal with total control and spousal abuse, but she did so in a well-controlled way. Of extreme importance all through this book is family loyalty, family values and family devotion.
Per Oke, this is another book which holds ones attention and cries for a sequel.
on December 4, 2013
I loved the series but didn't care how the timeline jumped so much between Book 4 and 5 in this series. I love the way Janette Oke's books usually transition from one to the other as if it never ended. Makes you constantly want to pick up the next book in the series. In this particular book I had to reread a few paragraphs in the beginning because I was thrown off after just finishing book 4.
on January 30, 2014
It was a good book but I was disappointed because it introduced new characters than appeared in the first 4 books of the series. I really wanted to hear what happened to Wynn and Elizabeth. This book is about 2 adults who Wynn and Elizabeth adopted and then moved out on their own. Many things are mentioned in this book that had not been in any of the other books. It felt like I was missing huge sections of the story. The last 2 books in the Canadian West series just seemed like tag-a-longs to me instead of a continuation of the story of Wynn and Elizabeth and their relationship.
on November 22, 2015
I love most of Janet Oke books and find it hard to say anything critical about them. I think it must be difficult as an author, to write inspiring novels ongoing. That said, this was not my favorite book but I did like it. It's sort of a difficult transition going from Elizabeth's first person narrative in the previous books and suddenly into the third person. I also wish there was a book in between this one and the last one where they get Henry, telling how Christine came into the story. Throughout the series, I sympathized with Elizabeth's desire to have children and yet not have any of her own and I would have loved to rejoice with her in finally having another little child in the house. Overall, I think the book was well told, as usual, and I enjoyed reading it.
on December 16, 2014
I liked this book but I didn't love it. I loved the first four books about Wynn and Elizabeth and wasn't ready to start reading about their grown children. I have read most of Janette Oke's books and can't put them down when I start reading them. I am getting ready to read book six in this series. Can't wait to get started.
on July 7, 2014
Once again I liked the book, Oke never ceases to amaze me. However, I did find this one hard to follow. Partially because it skipped so very many years between the previous book in the series and this one. I did not like that there were so many years skipped as I found it very hard to pick up and get into this book because I didn't know what had happened between the two books. I also found it hard to follow because it kept switching storylines between characters basically with no warning and I found myself getting confused and having to reread things so that I knew exactly which characters I was following where as not to get the stories mixed up. Other than those two things I did find the book very good.
on March 17, 2016
I enjoyed this book, which follows the next generation into the next century. I feel like having to split my time between two essentially independent story lines meant each of them was more one-dimensional than I would have hoped, but the book was still a fun read for those wondering what was going to happen to the next generation.
on September 14, 2015
This is not my favorite book in this series. I'm a little disappointed with what the author decided to do with the love interest of Christine. I didn't get it. But that's her prerogative as the author.
on August 21, 2015
At first I thought I purchased the wrong book. The two stories were okay but I wasn't ready to be done with reading about Elizabeth's western adventures. However, the story did win me over in the end.
on May 25, 2013
An enjoyable read. It was great to see how God's plans and our plans don't always line up and be reminded that God's way is what we need and truly want. He truly knows the desires of our heart. Sometimes to gets what's best we have to let go of what is in our hand.