5.0 out of 5 stars A must read - cutting edge educational research
Published on June 29, 2012 by Jacob West

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read... however too short
Published on January 31, 2012 by Sridhar

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read - cutting edge educational research, June 29, 2012
This review is from: Beyond the Hole in the Wall: Discover the Power of Self-Organized Learning (Kindle Single) (TED Books) (Kindle Edition)
Educators, I strongly recommend reading about Sugata Mitra's educational experiments that he calls MIE (Minimally Invasive Education). I am astounded by what he has accomplished. Next year, I have the great honour of designing and implementing a digital development right form kindergarten right through to grade 12. Wow. I am basing a huge amount of what I do on Sugata's research.

This is the future of education. It is changing before our eyes and it is one of the most exciting times to be alive in the education field.

Watch his TED talk and read his book. The world is about to change, be ahead of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read... however too short, January 31, 2012
I had seen Sugata Mitra's TED talk and was indeed inspired by it and thus when I saw a book from him I rushed in to buy it. What I did not realize was the content of the book was too brief. The book talks about the concepts, however falls short of talking about the implementation specifics (at least some examples would have been nice). The author does point out a few people who have tried out the concept and possibly leaves it to us to get in touch with them.
I would say it is a book which hands out the concept and tells us to try it out in our own way...

5.0 out of 5 stars Short and Sweet introduction, February 22, 2012
This is a short and sweet introduction to the work of Prof Sugata Mitra. He is the inspiration for the book Q&A by Vikas Swarup and the Bollywood/Hollywood movie Slumdog Millionaire. His Hole-in-the-Wall experiment is an evolution in learning and teaching. Maybe we don't need to spend billions on Education like we do; unless we understand it is designed to create a complain society of workers and consumers.

Anyway the stories set in the near future are uncanny like short science fiction stories by Asimov. The best part for me was the practical guidelines at the end on how to impliment his SOLE or Self Organised Learning Environments. This book is highly recommended for people who've watched his two TED Talks and every single Computer Lab teacher or supervisor in South Africa.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good long article, March 17, 2012
I would consider this as a very long article rather than a book.

It's an excellent short read that answers the question why children learn much faster when it comes to new technologies computers or tablet devices, and how parents or gardians can utilize these technologies to a better learning.

I liked the conceptual part about "connectedness" and "self-organized systems" because it goes deeper in the cognitive part of learning. However I skimmed through the stories because I'm not interested in them.

I really recommend this book to those who are interested in education or may have kids, it's beneficial too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do children learn or do teachers teach?, July 17, 2013
This book has thrilled me as few others. It is an almost unbelievable testimony to the human mind, and what cooperation, sharing, discussion and the courage to 'just do it' can do. This book proves what 'Progressive' educators have been saying for almost a century - allow children to teach them selves, and literacy will follow. I'm not telling you a thing about the book, except it is one of the most significant books on education I've read. And when I finally settle down in my home, I know just the wall I'm going to make this magic hole in!

4.0 out of 5 stars Revolutionizes the way education should be conducted in the 21st Century., May 25, 2013
Short but very interesting read. Dr. Mitra shares new methods of learning appropriate for the 21st Century that has huge ramifications for education in the developing world, challenging the systems in place in the developed world. A must read for anyone concerned about education.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ideas, February 26, 2013
Great book, we clearly need to change what we're doing in schools and the author has some great and feasible ideas.

4.0 out of 5 stars fascinating insight into how we learn, October 27, 2014
A few months back I found Sugata Mitra's TED talk on Pinterest. I loved the TED talk and it really felt like it was just for me. I'm a homeschool mom of four and constantly on the lookout for ways to reach and teach my children and in ways that they can retain the most. I believe that teachers learn the most on topics they teach and am interested in child led learning. This mode of learning makes sense to me. Human beings are very social creatures and normally enjoy learning and sharing knowledge that is why this method is so effective. I recommend this book for all teachers, educators and parents. The only reason I gave this a four star opposed to five is because I disagree with the Mitra about arithmetic. I believe giving children a solid foundation in reading,writing and arithmetic is crucial to further learning and understanding. I also feel that only obtaining information from the internet could have dangerous repercussions in countries where propaganda and censorship exist. The ideal balance in my opinion is the use of the internet, books and older people. That being said I found this book very exciting and the research and information very relevant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Children are self-directed learners at heart, if you give them something interesting., August 2, 2014
spersephone "spersephone" (Melbourne VIC Australia) - See all my reviews
Really great book about the Hole in the Wall experiment, where children taught themselves how to use a computer using peers to help them. Each child could provide a fragment of the understanding needed and through collaboration, they worked it out amongst themselves without adult help. It explores the concept that teachers are not needed to transmit information, but instead to guide students and provide resources, but encourage self-exploration and self-directed learning. Certainly great to consider, except that where there is a specified curriculum, you cannot take this as far as you might like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every kid deserve to be discovered as genius!, June 29, 2014
Dr Mitra shares his discoveries in learning dynamics. Shows a scientific approach to self organizing systems, focusing in learning environment, as findings from his "Hole in the Wall" experiments. A must read, I say.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›