Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Beyond the Myth
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

Format: DVD|Change

on October 5, 2012
I have always LOVED dogs but I must admit, I have not always loved pit bulls or really knew anything about them. It wasn't until a couple years ago when we rescued our petite pitty Cassie that my world changed. I would recommend this documentary to ANY dog lover, not just those that love the breed. Here's why. Breed specific legislation can happen to any breed. Once it happens to one breed it then spirals out of control to now there are states that ban 10 breeds of dogs and the list is going. It comes down to the fact that the individual dogs on a case by case basis. BSL is like the witch hunting in the early ages.The checklist that some cities use is a complete crock. If a dog has certain characteristics then it's a "pit". If we labeled people like that we'd be getting sued left and right. The breed does not matter, it goes down to how the dog is raised, trained, and socialized. Let's look at statistics people, Golden Retrievers have the most bites. Bottom line is owners should be held responsible and we all must stand against this or your breed could be next. Don't think it can't or won't happen. That's what the people of Denver, CO thought and then the next thing they knew they had people knocking on their dogs and seizing their dogs. BSL also violates a person's fourth amendment rights to unreasonable search and seizure. As long as my dog is being taken care of and is not bothering anyone it should not matter what breed I own. The government needs to step back and the citizens need to demand change and not allow them to continue. This WILL be stopped. It's only a matter of time.

This DVD does a great explanation to those that are unfamiliar with BSL and to those that are. I highly recommend because we can't sit idly by and do nothing. We must do something.
11 comment|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2012
I love dogs, but never had a strong opinion one way or another about pit bull breeds, although I'd probably avoid one just to be safe. This documentary really opened my eyes to the discrimination that happens for absolutely no reason other than physical characteristics. I realize now what a great breed these dogs are, and I'd adopt one. If you have a soul, this movie will make you cry. But don't shy away from it for that reason. This is something you need to know about!
55 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2012
This documentary is very powerful, as well as it is informative. As a fellow pit bull owner, I feel that this film does a great job at creating awareness about the issue that pit bulls have negative reputation for being dangerous and vicious. The stories featured throughout are heartfelt and inspiring. It definitely inspired me to take more action to raise awareness. If you have or have ever owned a loving pit bull, then you should take time and watch this documentary! By the end of it, you'll find yourself wanting to take a stand against the laws that prohibit people in certain cities the right to own a pit bull. You won't be disappointed!
on October 5, 2012
I saw the film "Beyond the Myth" last spring in Louisville Kentucky while also meeting the producer and director Libby Sherrill. A lifelong animal advocate, I thought I was aware of the majority of abuse, neglect and lack of legislation that punished animal abusers. However, this documentary enlightened me to the ignornace, prejudice and injustice against Pit Bulls and Pit Bull breed mixes. Being an owner of two Pit Mix dogs, and know for a fact how wonderfully loving these dogs are, I was outraged and deeply saddened at the lack of knowledge about the breed and the general public's perception of these dogs. BSL is discrimatory, unjustified, and plain wrong. Beyond the Myth provides the background to learning how to educate the general public while showing what is happening behind the scenes - both pro & con - and what one can do to be proactively involved to protect and provide responsible guardianship to not only pit bulls - but all companion animals. BSL may start with discrimination against Pit Bulls, but it doesn't end. BSL can happen to any breed.
on October 4, 2012
For the Pit bull lover, this movie will only strengthen what we already know. For the people who believe all the horror stories the media says about Pit bulls, this movie is a must see!! It will change your perception of these beautiful souls. Very well done.
on October 5, 2012
This film is an excellent portrayal of what the media and the misinformed have done to an amazing breed of dog. Beyond the Myth highlights almost every major point in the ongoing battle against breed specific legislation. It's heartbreaking to know that thousands of innocent animals have died at the hands of a myth that continues to be perpetrated by media outlets looking for ratings. If you love animals you MUST see this film.
on October 5, 2012
I am a huge dog lover and I had no idea what was happening to "pit bull" type dogs (and many other breeds too). I also had no idea some of my ideas were based in discrimination. **Eye opening, heartbreaking, life changing. A MUST SEE for animal lovers and those that need to be shown the truth.**
on October 6, 2012
By far the most educational movie out there in regards to BSL and breed discrimination. BSL can (likely will) affect EVERYONE that owns a dog-this movie is not just for pitty owners!
on October 4, 2012
I have seen this movie three times now and enjoyed it every time. Before I finally rescued a Pit Bull Type Dog I believed the hype. I was aware of all of the information that is given and the movie but was so happy that someone put it into a film and so many came out to see it. It shows you how dogs are killed on a regular basis simply because of how they look, not by what they have done. This is a great movie and I recommend it to everyone. My mom is getting a copy for Christmas.
on October 6, 2012
I have seen this video and was very moved by it. I don't own a dog of any kind but this video is about freedom and how it can so quickly be taken away from you just like the dogs were taken out of owners homes for no real reason. It is really worth your time to watch even if you don't even have a dog.