5.0 out of 5 stars Delicate and Charming, May 29, 2007
This children's book is a companion volume to The Silver Nutmeg, two utterly charming, whimsical, fascinating, and inventive books about Anna Lavinia and her family and pets. Wonderfully unusual fantasy situations happen to Anna Lavinia in her child's world. Both books are so delightful that when I read one as a child, I never forgot it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fifty Years was Worth the Wait, October 24, 2011
This review is from: Beyond the Pawpaw Trees (New York Review Collections) (Hardcover)
This book has just been reissued for the first time in decades. I read its sequel, The Silver Nutmeg, when I was in third grade and never forgot it; in fact, I credit that book as stimulating my lifelong love of fantasy. I was never able to find Beyond the Paw-Paw Trees at a price that I could afford. Now, I have my OWN copy! It was worth the wait--a gentle, amusing, little tale that reflect how children look at the world, answering the question of what happens when the end of the line comes and the railroad tracks merge into one. This rates with CS Lewis' Narnia and any other "children's" book that adults also love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! Back in print! My all-time favorite!, March 15, 2012
This is my all-time favorite book from when I was a child. It's been out of print forever, and when I'd check with a specialty site about buying it, the price would be over $200. With it fetching those kind of prices, I always figured some publisher would pick it up and reprint it. So I kept checking. The day I saw it posted here at Amazon I 1) immediately purchased it, and 2) cried.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever chapter book I have read to my daughter!, February 14, 2012
I had never heard of this book before, perhaps because it was out of print for many years. Then I heard what a wonderful book it was on a book blog. I'd been looking for a "first" chapter book to read aloud to my five year old daughter. It is back in print now, so I ordered a copy.

It is such a charming story. It was written in the 1950's. It is the story of a girl named Anna Lavinia who lives with her mom in a distant house far away from neighbors and the village. When she finally ventures out beyond the grove of paw paw trees to visit her aunt by train, Anna Lavinia begins what is to become a magical journey to distant lands full of secrets and surprises.

I had so much fun reading this book for the first time as an adult. I can only imagine how much better it must be for a child to read this. My five year old LOVED it. Every night we read one or two chapters and she would race through her bedtime routine, just because she was so excited to hear more of the story. There are very cute pencil sketch drawings on almost every page (sometimes every other page.)

I think there is a second book and it is coming back to print in April 2012. I definitely will read that to my daughter as well and I look so forward to continue Anna Lavinia's adventures. This was the best chapter book ever to read to your young children and a great book for anyone of all ages to enjoy. I count myself lucky to have discovered this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wishes can come true!, October 25, 2011
This wonderful little book has just been reprinted courtesy of the New York Book Review Children's Collection and it landed on my doorstep this morning (25/10/2011) - standard shipping from the US to UK in a week (which is amazing in itself). I am going to sit down this afternoon and read it but a quick glance tells me I will not be disappointed. Thank goodness the original illustrations have been preserved so I can enjoy it in all its glory.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cherished memory..., November 25, 2011
This is one of those amazing books from my childhood that was never forgotten. It is a beautiful hard-bound version with the original "sugar-spun" drawings. I got it for my niece in hopes that she will cherish it as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful and Gentle Fantasy, November 13, 2011
I have loved this book since childhood but could never afford a used copy, which are rare and very expensive. I'm absolutely thrilled someone in the publishing world finally realized its value and decided to reprint it. Anna Lavinia is put on a train by her mother (who never talks much until her second pot of tea) to visit her Aunt Sophia Maria, who lives on a mirage in a desert. On the way there, she meets the Fat Lady (who is absolutely terrified of cats and has more tea cozies than she knows what to do with), the Pasha (who is bothered by his parrot's nonsense), and finally her aunt (who states that if something is good, it is always better with whipped cream). There are all sorts of turn-abouts from the usual world. The train comes to a halt when the track comes to a point on the horizon. Anna Lavinia rides her umbrella down a cliff to the desert and on her return home is able to ride it back up since what comes down must go up. She eventually finds the gold at the end of the rainbow and brings home her long-lost father (who had been gone chasing rainbows for sometime). The book is full of all sorts of nonsense as well as a variety of songs that I still enjoy reciting (since there's no music to go with them). The illustrations are fun, including a map of Anna Lavinia's travels. In the end, the family ends up reunited and everyone (of course) lives happily ever after.

I highly recommend this book for any boys or girls who enjoy a lighthearted nonsense fantasy and for any adults who aren't too grown-up to still enjoy a great children's classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooks Sometimes, December 20, 2013
A favorite of my childhood -- good to find it in print again. I've been looking for a copy of this for years now, & all I could find were original copies for hundreds of dollar, when what I wanted was the story. Nice holiday reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Excited that this book is back in print, May 4, 2012
I am SO excited to see that this book is back in print and available for purchase without scouring re-sellers. It's a wonderful, wonderful book, along with the sequel, The Silver Nutmeg, some of my very favorites. Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahhhh, the long search has ended and I'm filled with gratitude!, April 20, 2012
This is my all-time favorite book I read as a child. It's magical! I lost my copy and have been on a search for a new one for the last 25 years. I wasn't even able to get a borrowed copy through the library system to read to my girls. They're now 6 and 8 years old and I can't wait to get my book I ordered today and read it with them. My heart is full of gladness!

Beyond the Pawpaw Trees (New York Review Collections)
Beyond the Pawpaw Trees (New York Review Collections) by Palmer Brown (Hardcover - October 18, 2011)
$14.95 $12.00